• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • roughthumbs

Plinker
    Rating - 95.5%
    21   1   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Huntertown
    I'm sure this has been discussed at some point but I can't find the thread. I was at a gun shop today and the guy behind the counter said a stock .35 Rem Marlin Lever action could shoot an altered (cut down) cased round without any problems. Didn't quite sound right to me. Anybody want to throw in their 2 cents?

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Just search for 35 Remington short or 1.8 on here or your search engine of choice and you'll find plenty of info. I am using the round in a rimmed version in a T/C Contender.

nkhrfh

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Look through the reloading section. Lots of info on it. I got a deal on a Marlin 35 Rem and cut down my cases to use in Indiana.

woody131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Morgantown
    It is definitely the real deal. A short time ago you couldn't hardly give away a 35 Remington but now that they figured out how to make it deer legal you can't find one. They were way cheaper than the same rifle chambered in 44 mag.

Savage99

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2014
    Peru
    I have a Remington 760 pump that is chambered in .35 Remington. I shoot 200 gr soft tip, flat base Speer bullets in it with the shortened cases. Works just fine. It is a good brush cartridge. I am comfortable with it out to 175 yards, but am sure others take it farther. A lot of deer have been put down over the years with a .35 Remington. Hope this helps you out a bit.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    You will be happy with the 35 rem. If you look to the east coast or a couple of states south of us they are plentiful but here in Indiana there was not a hunting demand till now so they are few and far between.

Here is one of mine a 336 sc (sporting carbine) with 2/3 mag tube and big perch belly forearm and it also has the of waffle top with a peep. The peep alone is now worth what I paid for the gun in the day.

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    You will be happy with the 35 rem. If you look to the east coast or a couple of states south of us they are plentiful but here in Indiana there was not a hunting demand till now so they are few and far between.

Here is one of mine a 336 sc (sporting carbine) with 2/3 mag tube and big perch belly forearm and it also has the of waffle top with a peep. The peep alone is now worth what I paid for the gun in the day.

35 Rem is all over MI (Im from there) and that rifle is pretty much what I would look for in a lever gun. Nice rig.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    The headspace can be a problem with 35 rem but it does not matter if the brass is 1.8 or not. I have seen a couple 35 rem with over length chambers which made for light primers strikes. Fire forming cases and reloading solved both issues. The 35 rem is
    one of just a few lever action rounds that have no rim.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Im going .35 rem this year for deer season. I have MONTHS to find a deal on one and get the ammo made. The 336 .35rem run around $400 and up on gunbroker used. I can get one at walmart NIB for around $505 plus tax.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I thought the headspacing would be the problem. I know where a couple cheap lever guns are so I guess I'll give it a try.

Thanks

I didn't like the headspace being on the shoulder either so I made cases from 30/40 Krag, which in my T/C posed no issue because I had my barrel built with a rim cut. I have explained it in other threads so I'll leave the details out.

Top Bottom