35 Viper chambered AR - Indiana deer legal-what's your opinion?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    The next one off the bench will have a 16" crowned bbl, low profile picatinny gas block, and probably FF hand guard.

If the ones comming off the bench will have a diffrent handguard, and diffrent scope when sold for 1275, then I dont have any constructive criticism. My criticism was based on the specs on the site, if thats not accurate then I dont see any reason your product wont sell well.

BST is correct, rule of thumb is a front sight disappears around 2.5-3x, so thats a non issue.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    118   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    i can center mass with a 270gr 45 Colt in a lever gun at 200y open sights......there are plenty of other better rd's.....

possumpacker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    parke co
    black star if you send me one of thoes purty rifles and a box of ammo i would be glad to test it out. im in an 8 deer county with plenty of test subjects.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Like others have said, the UTG stuff needs to go, same with the front sight post. Low profile with a free float tube that at least covers it up. Not sure why you did the barrel the way you did. Think an 18" barrel would be more practical

The coating is nice, but for hunting, a burnt bronze, FDE, or OD carakote should be offered. Or a camo dip since Remington doesn't do their camo 450 anymore

As for the cartridge, are you releasing the specs on the it or keeping them somewhat secret? So can somebody order a custom set of dies or do they always have to go to you for ammo?

I somewhat like the idea since I don't think anyone has or will make a 358 WSSM AR. I still have faith in the 450 Bushmaster or 458 SOCOM but I'm sure with the .358 diameter kick going on that this would float a lot of peoples' boats if done properly

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    If I was buying this for a hunting rig there are lots of things I would change. A lot of them already stated here.

1. Anodize or coat the receiver set in something other than NiB. Black is better than nothing, but earth tones would be best. NiB carrier is nice, but no need for the handle to be coated too. Use a BCM GUNFIGHTER for a larger latch with optics.
    2. Low pro block. Oz = lbs in the woods (maybe midlength gas system)
    3. Extend the hand guard over the block for more room. This lets people stretch out when they shoot, and gives more room for accs. if needed. I would shave weight here with something like a Nordic tube. Go with quality, not UTG.
    AP Custom Tactical Carbon-Fiber Handguards | Nordic Components Retail
    4. Ditch that brake and go with a flash hider. That way the crown is still protected but you aren't dealing with increased sound and pressure
    5. Ditch the crap optics.
    6. Maybe a different stock, that's something that is really personal pref though.

That's off the top of my head. Building an AR isn't really rocket science, there are many proven combinations. Unfortunately you basically ignored all of them.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I keep thinking about this and how I'd love to see it setup. I'm a dissipator guy but the farther out a fixed front sight is the more likely its going to show up in a scope at a higher than 3x magnification. I think if you guys put together a mid length gas system with a folding front sight at the rifle length spacing you'd have something that catches peoples attention. Include a match rear folding sight so they have something GI quality and cheap enough to leave room for a scope. After that either a ff rail or tube and then a good trigger, probably a two stage since its a hunting rifle. I'd also agree on having the camp dip option available.

Just some thoughts I had that are worth what you paid for them.

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    3.50 per round? What does this round offer that 300blk doesn't? Yea, 300blk isnt legal in rifle form, but AR pistol…..

Also, 1275 for an AR using rguns, cmmg, and utg? That must be one VERY expensive barrel…

Last edited:

Black Star

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2012
    Thanks for the input. How many of you who responded to the post carried an M16/M4 while on active duty in the US Army, Marine Corps, Navy, Air Force or Coast Guard?

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Thanks for the input. How many of you who responded to the post carried an M16/M4 while on active duty in the US Army, Marine Corps, Navy, Air Force or Coast Guard?

I carried an M16A4 in the Army in the sandbox back in '03. Back then it was iron sights with a rail, nothing fancy or very nice.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Your rifle don't look like a hunting rifle. Hinting rifles have 20" barrels or better in length. Most hunting rifles don't have iron sights. Yes a lot of hunters have back up irons for if the scope gets damaged. A set of folding sights would be nice. Most hunting rifles carry no more than five rounds. So a five round mag would be a good idea. In some states it is required for hunting. I see no reason for a brake. Browning put one a bolt rifle and it didn't go over to well. The hand guard is personal and you will get as many answers on that as people you ask. I would have gone with a Magpul hand guard and grip. They work well and don't cost a lot.

Now price for round? You can get 358 Hoosier for $3 to $2 a round and it is harder hitting. It moves a 200 gr bullet at 2450 FPS. Now you can only get it in a single shot or turn bolt. Well you could have one made in a AR 10. For a turn bolt it only cost around $800 for a rifle. Dies are $120. If you have a Savage in one of the 308 cases you can replace the barrel with a 358 Hoosier for less than $400.

For the money you are asking your rife should come with dies and at least twenty rounds of ammo. There is a guy on this site that is selling a 358 Gremlin for around $900 for a upper. I think that's the name of it. There are so many new rounds out there it's hard to keep track of them all. It is made from a WSSM case.

Now this part is personal. I don't see the need for a AR to hunt with. There are so many better options for hunting. Then there are guys that think if it isn't an AR it isn't worth having. Bolt rifles are slow and so old school. You must have a AR to have a modern rifle. The AR is now what? 50 plus years old? When the military wants a accurate rifle they go with a turn bolt. I don't see the spray and pray mind set going over well in hunting. Doing a thirty round mag dump on a deer just seems so wrong and you know some people will do just that. Hell, I have heard them do it with a auto shotgun. They have to be shooting at a running deer and they keep shooting because it didn't fall. God only knows where their slugs went.

Hunting for most hunters is about the shot not about what you are shooting. It don't matter if you stalk or stand hunt it's about taking the shot that gets you the game. Hopefully it's one shot well placed and kills the animal quickly.

Good luck with your rifle. You have gotten a lot of information on what people think about it. Don't take it personally. I don't think anyone answering your question was being mean. They just gave you their thoughts as I did.

Black Star

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2012
    Doing a thirty round mag dump on a deer just seems so wrong and you know some people will do just that. Hell, I have heard them do it with a auto shotgun. They have to be shooting at a running deer and they keep shooting because it didn't fall. God only knows where their slugs went.

Agree with you on this point. That is why it ships with a 6 round mag, which I would prefer to block down to 3. Those auto slug shotgunners (not Sportsmanlike Deer Hunters) who stomp and push their quarry like cottontails don't have a clue what "deer hunting" is about and they are DOING IT ALL WRONG!

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Agree with you on this point. That is why it ships with a 6 round mag, which I would prefer to block down to 3. Those auto slug shotgunners (not Sportsmanlike Deer Hunters) who stomp and push their quarry like cottontails don't have a clue what "deer hunting" is about and they are DOING IT ALL WRONG!

Then why are you building tacticool hunting rifles?

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    118   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    Those auto slug shotgunners (not Sportsmanlike Deer Hunters) who stomp and push their quarry like cottontails don't have a clue what "deer hunting" is about and they are DOING IT ALL WRONG!

don't use a slug gun any more 11 shot 45 Colt lever gun...(was a auto slug gunner...11-48)....i have meat in the freezer.....i guess i do it all wrong.....had a 458 Socom and sold it....

richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    I was mildly interested in your rifle cause it looks cool and I know absolutely nothing about the ar. Then I see you respond like this toward the people who do know alot about hunting and rifles. Now I figure if I had the money burning a hole in my pocket I would not buy from you. You asked our opinion and you got it. Grow up and don't get nutrient so easily.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I don't think it's good for hunters to pick apart how other hunters like to hunt. It's kind of like how all the guys in the firearms community argue to no end on what the best caliber or bullet throwing platform is the best when the point is we all enjoy the sport and right to carry. Personally I don't mind guys hunting with semi auto's and the Remington 7400 and other semi auto rifles have been around for forever because of it. I wouldn't mind taking an AR hunting, but I prefer to let my inner cowboy out to play when I go hunting with a puma 92 in 44mag. I usually fill the tube with all 10 rds it'll carry knowing full well I'm not going to fire more than two or three rounds at most. For me it's about getting out and hunting, not telling other hunters how they should be enjoying their time. As many things that I'd change on this rifle you're offering, I still wouldn't fault a guy for hunting with it. I might fault him for paying that much for it, but certainly not for getting outdoors and getting after what it's all about.

Top Bottom