• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I will be going deer hunting with a .357 Marlin 1894C next month. I am pleased with the accuracy using standard 158 gr. JSP loads. I have tried both hornady LeverRevolution and 158 gr. XTPs. I do not care for either of these from an accuracy standpoint. I am considering ordering some ammuniton from Buffalo Bore. Does anybody have experience with these offereings in a .357 carbine? What would you recommend the 180 gr. solid cast or the 158 gr. JHP? I like the idea of a heavy bullet, but I am concerned about leading from the cast bullet. Maybe this is not an issue. I have no doubt that either of these loads will kill deer.

Bear1023

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Kokomo
    I could be wrong but the last time I checked .357 was not a legal cartridge for deer hunting in Indiana. I could be wrong as I said so you might want to double check and Happy Hunting!!! Good luck this season!!!!

rockydog

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Lake Wawasee Northern IN
    Vert,
    You probably already know, the 357 IS legal in Indiana. I'm really suprised with the Hornady problems. What were they doing?

I could be wrong but the last time I checked .357 was not a legal cartridge for deer hunting in Indiana. I could be wrong as I said so you might want to double check and Happy Hunting!!! Good luck this season!!!!

Bear1023

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Kokomo
    like i said i could be wrong. upon looking at the DNR Guide i see that ".357 magnum" are legal. My apologies

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Problems with the Hornady LeverRevolution is that I am not satisfied with the groups and for some reason they shoot to the left. They do shoot good enough to hunt with if this is the best choice. The 158 grain XTPs are nickel cases and for some reason on the fourth shot I pull a case in two. It took a pick, easy out, and vise grips to fix the problem. Not sure if this was a defective case or if the cases for this load are brittle/harder. Could have been a fluke, but not something I want to risk in the field. I would at least like a hunting load to shoot as good as bulk American Eagle or WWB.

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    Interesting. I've never had an issue with any Hornady ammo of any type. Did you say you split a case? I'd think that information needs to be given to Hornady.

Keep us informed on what you find!

lildave

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    Indianapolis
    My 1894c likes Gold Dots better than any other bullet I've tried. The xtp's shoot good but my groups are tighter with the Speers. I have tried the LEs but did not care for them ( group size ), but every gun is different so try as many as you can.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I do NOT have a hunting guide in front of me...

But I thought that solid cast boolits were illegal to hunt with? That the projectile had to have some kind of "hollow point" for expansion?

Just something to think about.

-J-

Rick983

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    12 Dead Deer

In the last 15 years, using a S&W 357 magnum revolver and Remington 158 gr. SP ammo, the tally is 11 deer with one shot kills and 1 deer that took two shots (my error). The deer won't know the difference between 158 and 180 gr bullets if you smack them through the heart / lung area. Good shooting !! ;)

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    .357, no problem on deer

I can't out do Rick893, but I did shoot two deer with my .357 magnum revolver and they were humane quick kills. I prefer 125 gr. hollow points and I handload mine. Shot placement is the key.

Terry :yesway:

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    JSP's

I love hunting with jacketed soft points. I hunt with revolvers if I have any tags left by that time. I have never gone out with a .357, but if I did I would use 158gr. jsp's. I use them in my .44 and love them. I have tried the hornadys and had not a bit of luck. I guess you will just have to play with it.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Agreed that shot placement is key that is why I am evaluating accuracy first and foremost. I did send an e-mail to buffalo bore and asked their opinion on the best load for the rifle. I got an e-mail from Tim Sundles, I believe he is the guy in charge at Buffalo Bore. He recommended the 158 gr. for deer. The data on the load suggests over 2000 FPS out of an 18.5" barrel. That is a lot of energy. Can't wait to see how they shoot.

DWFan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Go with the 158gr Buffalo Bore for deer. An alternative could be the 180gr Remington Express SJHP. Out of a carbine barrel, it's nearly identical to the factory Remington .357 Maximum 180gr load in an 8" barrel Dan Wesson SuperMag.

Top Bottom