• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redleg11b

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 3, 2017
    Goshen/Elkhart
    Would this potentially make a better public land round than a 44 Mag? Aside from the case forming and a few extra prep steps to reload, it looks like it may. Anybody using it? I have been thinking about a 357 Maximum, but just realized that it doesn't have to be a straight walled case. Brass is formed from 30-30 and 1.75" long. It looks like a big bore 300 Blk with a rim.

Redleg11b

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 3, 2017
    Goshen/Elkhart
    I found it to be powerful and accurate.
    That is what I want, and in a carbine length barrel. Do you happen to have any notes on your loads? Would like ideas for bullets to prep load info and work with before next season.

I am not looking for a thump from a handgun. I also wanted to hear if I was okay to use it as a rifle on public land too, which I believe I am if I read the regular correctly.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I did a lot of experimenting with light to very heavy bullets. I think I enjoyed the testing more than anything but I don't think I have any records of it, I'll have to look around. I do remember a lot of flattened primers on the heavy stuff.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    If you want easier case prep, just trim .35 rem to public land spec.
    My buddy had a G2 in .357 max and said it was too much, went back to his Marlin .357 mag.
    He keeps his shots inside 100 w the .357 magnum rifle.
    Think he said he was 12 for 12 with it.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I had a Super 16 in .35 rem and it shot great (trimmed to PCR spec), but looked silly with the shorter tapered bbl (IMHO).
    Would have preferred an 18.5" taper or even full bull.
    Never was thrilled w a break open for deer hunting (in rifle).

If thinking TC Super 16.......for a carbine

3mVga8C.jpg

This wears a G2 forend. Gun was twitchy for offhand. Filled forend hollows w epoxy and #8 shot. Made it easy to shoot offhand.
    Reg TC stock is for iron sights, so made cheekpiece.
    Grip is thinner on factory Rynite.
    Stronger than factory wood too.
    Aftermarket wood (Boyds) is too thick IMHO.

Want a Rynite buttstock?
    Bullberry had em for $50 bucks when I got mine yrs ago, they have sales now and then. Worth a check.

Last edited:

Redleg11b

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 3, 2017
    Goshen/Elkhart
    I was thinking about 18", and I know the Mag can scream pretty good with that barrel length. It did in my H&R. I want to keep it with peep sights for now, but a 2.5x scope will be in the future I am sure. I am still thinking the Max with 180gr bullets will beat a Mag with 158 (can always shoot mags in the max too). I was thinking about better long range performance if I had an opportunity. Buy once instead of ending up with so many barrels they don't get used often.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Public land, like down south in the big woods.
    Sounds cool.
    .357 mag handgun w reddot.
    But I need a camper first..........unfortunately cannot afford an Airstream Nest.

My public land hunting proly just early bow at Winamac.
    Neat place.

Redleg11b

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 3, 2017
    Goshen/Elkhart
    I have been to Tri-County and Pigeon River. Forget the Airstream, a stand isn't even on my radar. Even at PR, there are a few spots that could afford a shot over 150 yards in the woods if you had the means to effectively take it. I currently use a 10" 357 Magnum with a 2x scope. I need to work more on field shooting with handguns. A few people I know go to Winamac quite a bit.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I'm thinking of a nice change of pace........Hoosier National for a week of gun deer vacation, hence the want of a camper.
    Looking at out of state too.

Instead of just driving over to a small spot and back every day.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I have been to Tri-County and Pigeon River. Forget the Airstream, a stand isn't even on my radar. Even at PR, there are a few spots that could afford a shot over 150 yards in the woods if you had the means to effectively take it. I currently use a 10" 357 Magnum with a 2x scope. I need to work more on field shooting with handguns. A few people I know go to Winamac quite a bit.

Ever try a reddot?
    They look funky but are way easier to shoot well.
    I had a 3 MOA Primary Arms on my 223 Super 14..........and the dot was too big for such an accurate setup.
    Proly perfect for deer though.
    Alas, my arthritis says no .35 rem Contender. Tried the reddot on it, was great. But the buzz in my arm for a couple hrs after said nope.
    Of course I trade into another frame after selling that rig......

thinking .357 mag.

But may just stick w rifles, stay out of the Contender game from now on.

Redleg11b

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 3, 2017
    Goshen/Elkhart
    I have a 2 MOA dot that is homeless right now. I intended to put it on the 357 Mag barrel I have eventually. It will either be there or on the carbine after load development is done.

Top Bottom