• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mjblazor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 28, 2011
    I want to get a .357 lever and had heart set on Marlin 1894c. I told self the first time I see one for sale I'm getting it. Well, Cabelas in Hammond had/has two of them. I am so disappointed, they looked like crap. The wood to metal work was horrible. The metal on action was very rough and clunky. I keep reading how great the Marlins are but I just don't see it on really any of the Marlin calibers I see in stores. I have a Marlin 60 50th anniv mod and I'm not really impressed with it either. I also read the Henry does not seem to be taken seriously by many but in fact those who own them seem to REALLY like them. Why is Henry not in most discussions about lever guns? I've held them and I can't see why people think they do not feel as sturdy as Marlin's. I think it may have to do with pre-conceived prejudices against anything other then Marlin's similar to the glock community about anything other than glocks. What are your thoughts? Would you get a Henry .357?

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    113   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    The marlins aren't smooth, but lots of use will smooth it out. Or you can do it yourself with a dremel and polishing wheels, and tweaking of a spring or two.

I got mine running like butter.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    My Marlin (Remlin) is fine. I haven't heard anything bad about Henry, but I've only shot the .22 model.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Why is Henry not in most discussions about lever guns? I've held them and I can't see why people think they do not feel as sturdy as Marlin's. I think it may have to do with pre-conceived prejudices against anything other then Marlin's similar to the glock community about anything other than glocks. What are your thoughts? Would you get a Henry .357?

The Henry's are great levers and tend to be very sooth. They also tend to cost a couple hundred more than the Marlin rifles, IME, which seems to take them out of many discussions (much like Winchesters, but not as expensive as the Winchesters.)

For my part, I love the feel of the action, but the only ones I could find where the Golden Boys (I am not certain if they make another line in .357) and I think the "gold" action is absolutely hideous.

If you are not going to scope it or are ok with a scout scope, you might consider a Rossi. The action is every bit a rough as a Marlin, but if you are going to have to spend the time/money to smooth out the action it seems you might as well save a hundred or two on the front-end. On of the LGS up here will do a stainless Rossi for under $450, which is about $150 less than I have seen the Marlins lately (either in stores or after shipping and fees.)

ag563

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Delphi, Indiana
    Henry's are great guns, I have two, 22's. The 1st one I bought, the H001, is a great gun but when I got it home, I saw that the stock was a little loose, I took it off & found that the walnut had cracked at the screw hole. The next morning (Sat.) I got on Henry's web site & sent them a email about it. That night the president of the company called me & said he would send a new stock right out too me, for free.
    He didn't even want the old one back. Henry is a Great American made gun & they stand behind them. Marlin is also a good gun, model 60 is the 1st gun I ever bought,
    ($25 back in 76) and I still have it. But you can't go wrong with a Henry.
    Just my 2 cents....

mjblazor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 28, 2011
    thanks for the comments. i know some people hate the gold reciever. i am not one of them. i'd rather have a traditional one but would not let gold color sway me away if a better rifle. i actually like when the brass tarnishes a bit to see an antique gold patina on the metal. i do wonder about the longterm durability of it though?

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    I cant speak for the larger calibers but I love the Henry .22 lever guns. Smooth and reliable, seem to be very well built. The Marlin .30-30 lever gun I own is nice too, but not as nice as the Henrys.

boonedock

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 2, 2012
    DECATUR Co.
    I personally don't like the Henrys ( in own 3 or 4) but Would choose the Marlin If it is something I am gonna use and hunt with...I have a Older 1894 in .357 and LOVE IT, open sights and all...Deadly accurate...
    I don't like that Alot of the Henrys Receivers are Cast, and painted black....Kinda cheap if you ask me...

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    Look for an older used Marlin. Better fit and finish than new.

I have owned 3 Henry's and didn't care for them. All gone.

Might take a look at Puma? They have a lot of satisfied owners as well.

Duce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Delaware County
    I have nothing against Henry's or Rossi's. If you had your heart set on a Marlin though I'd take the time and seek out a pre-Remington rifle. The earlier the prodution the smoother the action and finish. Also don't overlook the .44 and .41 mag. both more than adequate for deer and with mild recoil. Plus if you should happen to find a 336 in .44 grab it it's the smoothest of them all. The reported feeding problems were because of a detent that was put in incorrectly at the factory. Because the action was longer than need it did not feed .44 mag well unless the carrier was slowed, from falling, during the feed cycle. Take your time the hunt is half the fun, the Rossi and Henry will still be around, Seek out that Marlin, you owe it to yourself...........:@ya:............Duce<><

Cowboy 44

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2011
    I had a henry 44 for years I traded it off just before they legalized rifles I bought a new dossier last summer after a little tweaking its way smoother than the henry

Mordred

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Sheesh! Whats not to love about a Henry. Im a HUGE fan of the .44 mag. but my friends love their .357. Henry's start off smooth and only get better with time. I really like the way the rifle looks after the brass ages...while my friend likes to keep his bright and shinny. Pick your poison. The Only grip i might have about it is that you cannot side feed the ammo. After your shots are out, you're doing the ol' ball and musket routine. ;)

Hunter66

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Muncie
    A couple of by buddy's have those marlins your talking about in a 44mag and they love them. They are there favorite deer rifles

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I had my heart set on one a few years ago and looked at the Marlins...My research lead me to believe the pre-rem/cerberus marlins are the way to go. I also am of the firm belief that Puma and Rossi are pretty darn good rifles and will suit my needs better than a more expensive gun. I want mine as a "camp" rifle, sort of a toss around gun.

Top Bottom