• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bbarker

Marksman
    Rating - 97.7%
    42   1   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    SE Indiana
    I just picked up a Taurus 6" model 66 stainless revolver. I picked it up mainly for a self defense gun for my home but thought about taking it in the woods with me during deer season. Anybody got a good recommendation for ammo choice. I would probably keep any shots to under 50 yards. It would probably be carried as another option to my T/C muzzleloader. Thanks!

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    I've had good luck with Win. white box 158gr. JSP's from Wally world. Hard hitting, accurate from my revolvers[Ruger sec.6 ;SW19,both 4in.].As inexpensive as you'll find in .357,a plus in my book. The lighter bullet weights are'nt highly recommended for deer,due to less penetration.

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    I have used my 686 6inch to harvest several deer out to 100 yrds. Shot placement is more important than what load you use to be honest. I use 125 gr Hornady XTP and 158 XTP both have made clean kills with the deer only going about 20 yrds. So about any good magnum load will work as long as it is accurate in your gun and you do your part of getting the bullet were it needs to be.

My :twocents:

18Shooter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    Indianapolis, west side.
    I like the 158 grain Hornady Jacketed Soft Points. I think they are in the XTP category. They penetrate better than the hollow points I have used. The soft points are flat on the end, so they also work well in a lever rifle. Also great in a lever gun is the LEVERevolution bullet mentioned above, which was designed expressly for lever rifles. For deer, I sometimes carry a .357 mag revolver along with a .357 mag lever gun. I use the same cartridge in both.

SIDE NOTE: Deer action was non-existent one day last year, so I took a squirrel with a jacketed soft point in front of a full load of Alliant 2400. I knew not to try for a body shot, or it would be squirrel stew scattered all over the woods. So the little critter posed for a perfect left-ear shot. That bullet literally took the head completely off that squirrel at about 20 yards. No loss of meat at all! Nice dinner; great gravy too.

Last edited:

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I have killed three deer with my 357 magnums. My best results were by far and long with the 125 gr. XTP hollowpoint loaded with 17.8 gr. of H110.

I used 158 gr. soft points the first time out and hit the deer three times until it fell. The first hit was through the spleen. Upon examination I saw that the bullet had cut a hole in the spleen as neatly as a hole punch would through paper. This performance I found to be inadequate.

Using the 125 gr. hollow point on two deer both bled out in 20 yards. Each were shot once, one deer the heart was split into four even pieces. The organ destruction was very much different than with the 158 gr. soft points.

I will use only 125 gr. XTP hollow points in 357 magnums in the future, the load mentioned above is the most accurate I can make or find in both lever rifle and revolver.

Good luck with your endeavor,

Terry

bw210

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Kouts, IN
    I use CorBon hunter with outstanding results in all my handguns and levers, but switched to Fusion 158gr for my wife. She uses 6" 357 686 and a 20" lever 357 and the Fusion has tamed down recoil with very good results. Had some 180gr loads and they just knock the deer over... but getting pretty hard to find on the shelves.

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    I have killed three deer with my 357 magnums. My best results were by far and long with the 125 gr. XTP hollowpoint loaded with 17.8 gr. of H110.

I used 158 gr. soft points the first time out and hit the deer three times until it fell. The first hit was through the spleen. Upon examination I saw that the bullet had cut a hole in the spleen as neatly as a hole punch would through paper. This performance I found to be inadequate.

Using the 125 gr. hollow point on two deer both bled out in 20 yards. Each were shot once, one deer the heart was split into four even pieces. The organ destruction was very much different than with the 158 gr. soft points.

I will use only 125 gr. XTP hollow points in 357 magnums in the future, the load mentioned above is the most accurate I can make or find in both lever rifle and revolver.

Good luck with your endeavor,

Terry

This is pretty much my results as well I prefer the 125 XTP over the 158 XTP. The deer drop fast and internal damage with the 125 grain XTP hollow points is devastating.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Well, a sample of two and shooting the deer in the spleen they are supposed to drop...come on, that's not real data.

I would go with a 158gr hollow point. Bigger hole and it would go clean through with a broadside shot. I would aim for the lungs with a .357. I would avoid end to end shots...it's not a rifle caliber. Use it wisely and only take broadside shots with a pistol caliber IMO.

Aaronhome27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Kendallville
    Right on youngda9. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Bullet coefficient is very important on wild game especially whitetails with a marginal caliber. While a .357 will get it done you really have to do your part as well as use the right bullet for the job. The difference in a hip or shoulder in the way with a 125 gr would be all you need to decide to go with a little heavier bullet.

bbarker

Marksman
    Rating - 97.7%
    42   1   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    SE Indiana
    Thanks for all of the responses guys. Of course, shot placement is key but I just want to put the best load out there as well. Looking forward to trying it out this season as we need to harvest some does. If I end up not seeing much, I suppose I could always try a head shot on one of those pesky tree rats!

Top Bottom