• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bbarker

Marksman
    Rating - 97.7%
    42   1   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    SE Indiana
    Stupid Question......do anyone out there still make .357 Max ammo or will handloading be my only option. I do not have any equipment to handload nor had I done it before.

Has anyone out there taken a Handi rifle and reamed it out with much success? Are you still able to shoot your 38s and 357mags without any issues?

Thanks in advance! :rockwoot:

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Reeds Ammunition sells loaded rounds; I'm unaware of any major company that loads for it. Not a Handi rifle but I had a 20" Encore barrel rechambered for it; it worked just fine. I use nothing but my own reloads so can't help you with how well the Reed's shoot. I've never tried a 357Mag in it either, I shoot nothing but my full power hunting loads in it, never taken one with it in Max form, but I don't take it out hunting very often. I'm taking a young man out for his first deer hunting season this fall and he will be using it exclusively so hopefully it will get blooded this fall.

parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    I reamed a Handi some time back. I took a pretty nice buck with it last year on opening day.

I've hand loaded for a lot of years, so I don't know if ammo is commercially available.

And, yes, you can still shoot .357 and .38 spcl. after it's reamed.

You can find a lot of info here
    .357 Maximum

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Running my little ballistics program (w/ 100yd zero) at 200yds:

44Mag 240gr JSP: has a 16" drop and 705 left in energy
    357Max 180gr SSP: 9" and 1278 respectively

I'm not a big energy numbers guy but no matter how you cut it if you are going to be shooting longer ranges I'd much rather have the Max. At 100yds. - doesn't really matter to me.

cfgunworks

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2011
    Clinton Co.
    I Just re-chambered a Handi Rifle to .357 Max Monday. I know that there are several of the custom loaders that offer ammo. I've seen it at the Indy 1500 also. For it's power range it is a flat shooting little number out of a rifle and certainly extends your effective range over the .357, .41, and .44 magnums. I also find the Max more comfortable to shoot in a single shot than the .454 or .500 magnums.

Top Bottom