• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • caneman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    Lagrange County
    My gunsmith called and said my rifle (Rossi Single Shot) is now rechambered to 357 Maximum. He won't release it to me till he proof fires (Sensible precaution) so I'm still looking for a couple of rounds of ammo for the test. I ordered some from Reeds Ammo in Ok. City, but might be another 6 weeks before it gets here. Normal for them in the past has been 4-6 weeks and three weeks have already passed. Like everyone, they're running 4-6 weeks late.

Time wise for me, it's like waiting through the third trimester. :D

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Curious as to the reason for the conversion as this is not a legal round for deer hunting in Indiana and you are obviously not a handloader or you wouldn't be buying ammo from Reeds? Is this a reamed 357 Magnum?

caneman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    Lagrange County
    Kind of a long story but here goes.

At 70 and with a lot of back trouble and arthritis I don't hunt anymore. My 357 Magnum has become my take anywhere, anytime gun for trips to our kids in Auburn and Flora, IN. If things should ever go totally to pot while we are away from home the 357 Maximum will be my rifle to stop anything from bunnies to boars if needed. Also my only rifle I take on our rare vacation trips. Under a fan situation, legal caliber becomes a moot point when I want to get home (Bugout in reverse).

I have dies ordered from Midwayusa but they are on backorder. No idea when they'll get here. I had bought cases ahead of time so the loading will happen at that time. I was going to try using 357 Magnum dies but with .4 inch difference in length I'm just a little leery of using my 38Spl/357Magnum dies.

After examining my current battery and not wanting to carry more than one rifle, this seemed to be about the cheapest way to accomplish all objectives.

If I took a sightseeing trip to Montana and took three boxes of ammo I should be able to make it home. One box loaded with 105 grain cast bullets in 38Spl. cases for bunnies, and other small game through turkeys, to 35 yards. One and a half boxes for two and four legged critters under 250 pounds. One half box of 357 Maximum 180 Grain for boar or bear.

Not perfect for any of them but versatile enough to give us a chance. Notice I didn't mention a firefight with hoards of zombies. I'd lose that battle just based on mobility at my age.

You might find fault with my logic but I have thought it out based on my personal limitations.

schoolmaster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2009
    The 357 maximum IS a legal round for deer hunting in Indiana. So is the .445 Super Mag. Both meet caliber and length requirements.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Sounds cool. What kind of velocity do you expect from it?

I think S&W should put the .357 max into their X-Frame. They could fit 8 rounds in that cylinder, like they do with the N-Frame 627 and 327s. I bet there wouldn't be much recoil either with the weight of that gun.

caneman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    Lagrange County
    I've read of folks rechambering Contenders and NEF 357 Magnums for the Maximum cartridge. Other than me, I don't know of anyone with a 357 Rossi. I of course am hoping the action is as strong as a NEF.

I haven't actually figured out a load, but it will be a "middle of the road" at most. My days of hot rodding are long gone. I know the manuals show it can be real close to 30/30 balistics but I'll probably not go there. Mine is a light rifle and punishment isn't part of my aim.

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    The .357 Max has been tried by Ruger in a revolver and there was too much flame cutting therefore it was discontinued. I don't think it would be any different in a S&W.

And yes, the 357 max is legal for deer hunting in IN. I'm also putting one together for fund and possiblly deer hunting.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    The .357 Max has been tried by Ruger in a revolver and there was too much flame cutting therefore it was discontinued. I don't think it would be any different in a S&W.

And yes, the 357 max is legal for deer hunting in IN. I'm also putting one together for fund and possiblly deer hunting.

Actually, I"ve read and heard from owners/shooter o fthe Ruger maximum that the flame cutting stops when it reaches a certain ( and still safe) depth. ti's a shame that Ruger discontinuted the Max frame as it lends itself to some neat conversions. Here's a few picsof my buddies .500 Linebaugh Maximum (Slightly hotter than a .500 S&W and pre0dates it by several years).

Image053.jpg

Image052.jpg

And next to my 4 5/8" NMBH for size reference

Image051.jpg

To the OP, your rifle sounds like a great gun. My only difference would have to have made it out of a NEF, just for the fact that you could get different barrels from the factory for it. I know more than a few guys with NEF's stashed in RV's and pick-ups with something like a .357 or .44 Mag barrel along with a 20 or 12 ga shotgun barrel and a decent amount of ammo for each. I would reccomend getting either an elatic butt cuff or even a sling that would hold some extra ammo for you. That way if an emergency strikes and you only have time to grab the rifle and go, you'll at least have some ammo with you.

Here area few articles about the Handi Rifle and making them more user freindly. they are from a good freind of mine in Missourri:

THE H

handi-Rifle Postscript

The Sixbarrels of the Handi-Rifle

I've got a lever action Rossi in .357 magnum and with my 195gr handloads,it comes very close to the muzzle energy of a .30-30 with little recoil and the ability to easily digest powderpuff .38 wadcutter loads. I think the .357 in a pistol is a great round and in a rifle, it's amazing for it's efficiency and adaptability. I think you made a good choice and will be happy with your rifle. Let us know how she works out for you!

Doug K

caneman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    Lagrange County
    I have a nine round elastic cuff for spare ammo (primary) as a BO rifle. It’s generally leaned up in the corner in a leather saddle scabbard next to a seven pound fanny pack which holds an additional 50 rounds of ammo.

The scabbard provides good protection for the rifle (No, I’m not a horseman) and a way to strap the scabbard on to some mode of transportation if it materializes. The rifle and bag go in my truck anytime I leave. If those and a canteen can’t get me home I’m probably in worse trouble than I can handle.

I guess it’s confession time about something else also. Since I’ve had three disc operations I can’t wear a belt. The pressure around my waist is nearly crippling. So, I wear a vest everywhere. Yes, it looks dumb, yes it says “gun” and yes it can be too warm. It’s also the only option I’ve found that works for me. It carries my wallet, keys, smokes and lighter, Magnesium bar, handkerchief, a piece of candy (I’m diabetic), one dose of medicines and cell phone. Not a bad start on a BOB all by itself. If I’m going to be gone through a mealtime, I often have a granola or fruit bar.

The choice of rifle to rechamber was dictated by what I already had. Purchasing an NEF to start with wasn’t an option.

schoolmaster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2009
    The 357 maxi can be loaded from mild to wild. I believe I would pick one load that shot the best and not worry about 38 sp. 357 mag loads. A good accurate load will serve for about any situation.

caneman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    Lagrange County
    Schoolmaster. If you check the scenario I detailed I think you'll find the reason for the varied loads. Under a fan situation, I'd expect to feed us wild going cross country to be of the turkey and smaller variety. One of you eagle eyed younger folks might successfully shoot the eye out of a xyz at 100 yards but for me a nearly silent 105 grain head shot at 35 yards is more likely attainable. I also might not want to alert folks in the town a mile away that someone close is shooting.

If I was talking a two rifle option I would be adding a 22LR. I want one rifle to do the job, the way I've determined is best for me. You're approach would obviously be correct for you. Thankfully, we are allowed to choose different paths.

caneman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    Lagrange County
    Schoolmaster. If you check the scenario I detailed I think you'll find the reason for the varied loads. Under a fan situation, I'd expect to feed us while going cross country to be of the turkey and smaller variety. One of you eagle eyed younger folks might successfully shoot the eye out of a xyz at 100 yards but for me a nearly silent 105 grain head shot at 35 yards is more likely attainable. I also might not want to alert folks in the town a mile away that someone close is shooting.

If I was talking a two rifle option I would be adding a 22LR. I want one rifle to do the job, the way I've determined is best for me. You're approach would obviously be correct for you. Thankfully, we are allowed to choose different paths.

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Actually, I"ve read and heard from owners/shooter o fthe Ruger maximum that the flame cutting stops when it reaches a certain ( and still safe) depth. ti's a shame that Ruger discontinuted the Max frame

Agreed. I was actively shooting in Hunter Pistol Silhouette competition when the 357 max came out. the 357 max was motivated by the then very popular sport of metallic silhouette shooting. It did cut the top strap but stopped after a point. Ruger decided to discontinue it anyway. Dan Wesson had their revolver chambered for it and I had my hopes of getting one of those, but money was short and I did get one. The Dan Wesson did not have any problems with the gas cutting the metal that I am aware of.

Terry

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Jimbo-indy here on the forum had a .357 Max Blackhawk, has some awesome loads to offer. I gave him some 110gr component bullets once, bad idea. I kept telling him that he now created a handgun round with enough velocity to wound through fragmentation (like a rifle) instead of expansion! :D

Big boom. I cant even begin to imagine that round's velocity out of a rifle length barrel. Sort of up there with my desire to see a .357 Sig carbine or similar.

Top Bottom