• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wpmason

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Hey everyone, being relatively new to reloading, I've been experiencing a problem lately that I'm not sure what to make of.

Let me first say that my first several batches of .38s and .357 were wonderful. I was reloading once fired CCI Bronze/Federal/Winchester brass with either Winchester SJHPs or Hornady XTPs. Then I bought a few hundred new Win .357 cases. With the new cases, I've been getting this problem where when seating the bullets (to the same depth, haven't changed the dies, using Lee quick change bushings on a Lee press) the entire crushes a little bit. Basically, the cases feels ribbed like a condom when it happens. Sometimes it's not much and they still chamber easily, others don't.

Now, I'm assuming it's just an issue with the new cases, because since they haven't been fired they're a more snug fit, but is there anything I can do to prevent it? Would some bullet/case lube help? Any recommendations on a brand? I haven't tried it yet due to fear of the bullets coming loose under recoil, but I due have the Lee taper crimp die if that would be enough to hold them securely. Also, do you reckon it'd be safe to fire the "ribbed" cases as long as they chamber smoothly? My thoughts are that firing them will smooth them out and resizing will get everything up to snuff. Just wanted to get some more experienced opinions.

Thanks guys.

hemicharger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   1
    Mar 14, 2008
    Anywhere
    Do not fire damaged cases!!!!!!!!!!!!

It sounds like a sizing issue. I don't think you are belling the case mouth wide enough and make sure you are running the new cases through your sizing die to prevent the bullet from damaging the case when you seat them.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Then I bought a few hundred new Win .357 cases. With the new cases, I've been
    getting this problem where when seating the bullets (to the same depth, haven't
    changed the dies, using Lee quick change bushings on a Lee press) the entire
    crushes a little bit.

Just an educated guess... your new brass is longer than your old brass, and the die is crimping before the bullet is fully seated.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Just an educated guess... your new brass is longer than your old brass, and the die is crimping before the bullet is fully seated.
    Plus 1 on this. A taper crimp is a little more forgiving on this. These kind of problems are what made me start sorting brass by headstamp.

wpmason

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Interesting responses so far... I should make it abundantly clear, that it is not a consistent issue. Happens maybe 10-15% of the time. Could be a QC problem with the new cases, that I did not measure, just eyeballed.

As for the crimp beginning before the bullet is seated all the way, that is not the case. I've felt the extra resistance and checked some of them with the cannelure still exposed and no (visible) crimping. It's purely the friction of the bullet inside the case doing this, which is what made me wonder if lube would help.

As for whether or not they're safe to fire, if it makes any difference, they'd be going into a S&W 686+, not a j-frame or other "weak" cylindered gun.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Interesting responses so far... I should make it abundantly clear, that it is not a consistent issue. Happens maybe 10-15% of the time. Could be a QC problem with the new cases, that I did not measure, just eyeballed.

As for the crimp beginning before the bullet is seated all the way, that is not the case. I've felt the extra resistance and checked some of them with the cannelure still exposed and no (visible) crimping. It's purely the friction of the bullet inside the case doing this, which is what made me wonder if lube would help.

As for whether or not they're safe to fire, if it makes any difference, they'd be going into a S&W 686+, not a j-frame or other "weak" cylindered gun.

My first guess would also be due to the case length... It's not uncommon to find new cases that can vary enough to present problems... More than once through the years I have found a few brands of new cases to vary enough I felt a need to trim to a more uniform length... Now days I have gotten where I only use Starline cases and have not had a need to trim for quite a few years.

I would caliper your lengths... Being you said it doesn't happen to all, this tells me your cases might be different lengths... The longer ones would have more " bell " at the mouth and the shorter ones would not and might be the ones crumpling...

Also, being they are new, they might also be thicker, thus providing more tension on the bullet.

edit.... (1) more thing I would consider... Sometimes I have felt it helped on new cases to LIGHTLY run a chamfering tool inside the case mouth... I could see rough edges/burrs maybe causing inconsistent tension when using new cases...

Last edited:

wpmason

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    My first guess would also be due to the case length... It's not uncommon to find new cases that can vary enough to present problems... More than once through the years I have found a few brands of new cases to vary enough I felt a need to trim to a more uniform length... Now days I have gotten where I only use Starline cases and have not had a need to trim for quite a few years.

I would caliper your lengths... Being you said it doesn't happen to all, this tells me your cases might be different lengths... The longer ones would have more " bell " at the mouth and the shorter ones would not and might be the ones crumpling...

Also, being they are new, they might also be thicker, thus providing more tension on the bullet.

edit.... (1) more thing I would consider... Sometimes I have felt it helped on new cases to LIGHTLY run a chamfering tool inside the case mouth... I could see rough edges/burrs maybe causing inconsistent tension when using new cases...

That's some helpful advice. I'll have a look at the ones that aren't loaded yet and see what I can figure out. Luckily, I only bought 200 cases for the time being so it shouldn't take all that much time or effort. Hopefully I can get 5 or more loads out of each case, so I might just keep buying cartridges off the shelf and reloading those to avoid this in the future. Been smooth sailing so far going that route.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    so I might just keep buying cartridges off the shelf and reloading those to avoid this in the future. Been smooth sailing so far going that route.

Oh, I wouldn't go to that extreme... You are set up to reload, so buy your brass to start... Stay away from buying that inflated priced, inferior quality ammo ! :)

I know the timing isn't great, but I would seriously consider putting some Starline cases on back order.... That is all I use anymore in my revolver calibers... They usually tend to caliper within a few thousandths of each other so I have never felt the need to trim them for uniformity... They are very good quality and even better priced....

wpmason

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Oh, I wouldn't go to that extreme... You are set up to reload, so buy your brass to start... Stay away from buying that inflated priced, inferior quality ammo ! :)

I know the timing isn't great, but I would seriously consider putting some Starline cases on back order.... That is all I use anymore in my revolver calibers... They usually tend to caliper within a few thousandths of each other so I have never felt the need to trim them for uniformity... They are very good quality and even better priced....

Well, I've got over 300 loaded ready for nicer weather, with some empty cases, plenty of bullets, primers, and powders to last quite a while. Just thinking about when my cases do start to wear out, grabbing a box or two off the shelf (cheap stuff ~$0.50/rd) will work out fine when I load up my nifty H110/XTP loads. I mean, $15-20 for 100 empty cases verses $50 for 100 cartridges with reusable cases isn't going to break my bank every now and again, just to keep my brass supply adequate. At most the brass I do have are between 0 and 3 shots right now, so they've all got some life left, and they don't get lost in the grass when shooting outside! I will give Starline a shot if I decide to get new empties again though.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County

He can't right now, they aren't taking any backorders on .357 mag cases among other caliber cases that are the most popular ones. I was going to put my back order in for .357 mag, ,44 mag, ,9mm and .45 ACP brass since those are what I am a little shorter on than I like being and they weren't taking backorders on any of them. So I decided to get some .32 H&\RE Mags and even those aren't being taken now. So I decided I should just wait for my .327 Federal Magnum cases and be happy about it. Starline is ll I use s well, unless I can't get the stuff.

This is that ridiculous. When Starline is so overwhelmed that they can't even keep up enough to take backorders for them, then it is so completely out of hand that it is time we try to do something about it ourselves. It is easy, just stop paying high prices no mater ho bad you feel you need something. I have done just that and if I can't wait for MidwayUSA or somewhere else to get it in stock then I must not need it yet. If you can't make a deal here that makes sense, then do without. If you are really in need, PM me and see if I have it and I will see if I can't help you out. Don't expect me to bankrupt myself here, all I want is to be paid a fair price or to get a fair deal ion trade. If I think it is too much, as hard as it is to believe, I will tell yu and tell you what I will take instead.

It is time we come together as a community and help each other through this rather than see if we can't make some cash off of each other...

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I was going to put my back order in for .357 mag, ,44 mag, ,9mm and .45 ACP brass since those are what I am a little shorter on than I like being and they weren't taking backorders on any of them.

Things are crazy... If you need some .44 mag or .40, Missouri Bullet Co. currently have Starline in stock, but note they say 4 weeks for processing...

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    +1 for Starline if you can find it. I have used it in 10mm Auto, 45-70, 40 S&W, and 38 Special +P.

I always measure my brass, and then use a trimmer to bring them all within +/-.002 inches if I am going to taper or roll crimp. If the lengths are already pretty close, especially for new brass, I will place a piece of fine grit sandpaper on my workbench and work the case mouth back and forth on it a few times just to clean up and uniform the case mouth. Then I chamfer/deburr the inside and outside of the case mouth.

This takes some time, but reducing variation at each step will lead to more accurate loads.

Good luck, and be safe.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Things are crazy... If you need some .44 mag or .40, Missouri Bullet Co. currently have Starline in stock, but note they say 4 weeks for processing...

Thanks for the tip but I went ahead and bought a bunch of range brass this time instead. Mixed headstamps and all. I was sort of surprised by the .45 ACP I got recently at Profire though. 1000 once fired, mixed small & large primer cases. ALL of the large primer cases were Starline and all of the small primer cases were Federal. The mix was about 70/30, Large/Small too so I am pretty happy with that for sure.

Sorry, back on topic. :)

Top Bottom