• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • reymann

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Avon
    I recently purchased a RCBS 357-180-SIL mold. The bullets have come out great and look fine with the gas checks. The dummy rounds also cycle fine in my Henry @1.590". The question I thought of as I looked at the rounds, is the meplat flat enough at the top to be OK in a tubular magazine? I do not know how to evaluate this. There are about .150" across and this is about the same size as the primer in front of it on the next round. Anyone have an opinion before I start shooting? Here is the link to the mold.

https://shop.rcbs.com/WebConnect/Ma...creenlabel=index&productId=3382&route=C12J059

Thanks in advance.

Gdpudge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    West central
    id say you will fine that dont look pointed enough to fire the primer in the tube. but im sure someone else will chime in with a professional opinion

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    id say you will fine that dont look pointed enough to fire the primer in the tube. but im sure someone else will chime in with a professional opinion

I'd agree, just from looking at it. NO experience with it. To ignite a primer you need forceful indentation of the primer.
    the bullets not being slammed around (although compressed in tube mag) and not having the indentation makes me think they should be fine.
    If you can seat your primers a hair deep, that might help alleviate some of what's making you nervous...

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I believe that will be fine. I have fired lots of rounds with a very similar shape.

It get told all the time but has anyone ever seen a tube round ignite. Could it be a myth or has it happened.

I am not sAying that it has never happened but I have seen lots of stupid messed up guns and not a single tube fired round from a shot. I have see a. Henry 44 mag that had a federal cartridge dropped down the tube go off talked about on the web and had federal primers go off when reloading on a progressive Dillion press. Dillion manual now states not to use federal primers. It did not go off because the trigger was pulled. This was on the high road several years ago and no pics of what happened ever showed up.

If someone's google foo is better than mine link me to a story.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Twenty years ago the jack rabbit load was just enough Unique to get 200 yard consistent elevation from a heavy SWC. Was using a RCBS 162 grain mold and coasting them in like a 105MM. Pure magic.

Top Bottom