• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    My newly finished .358 Hoosier custom rifle. Now to test fire, find a load she likes to eat and set back and wait on deer season!!!

Specs:

Action: Remington 700 Factory Stock (Started Life As A Rem 700 SPS in .22-250)
    Barrel: Shillen Stainless
    Custom Build Work: AJ Brown Arms, Co.
    Trigger: Timney 510 set at 2.5 pounds
    Stock: McMillan HTG w/ Texture, Pillar Bedding & Factory Sling/Bipod Mounts in GAP camo.
    Bases: Leupold
    Rings: Leupold
    Scope: Ziess Conquest 3-9x40
    Bipod: Harris
    Trigger Guard & Screws: Brownells Steel BDM
    Internal Box Mag, Spring & Follower: Remington Factory Stock
    Bolt: Remington Factory Stock

DSC_5625.jpg

DSC_5626.jpg

DSC_5627.jpg

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Makes me think of this.

d7b21730f6attoos.jpg.jpg

Seriously though. Awesome rifle and I hope you can get that lazered off.

I know it is not always correct to ask but what the heck. Ballpark of the budget to build one like this?

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    I know it is not always correct to ask but what the heck. Ballpark of the budget to build one like this?

To build the exact same rifle with correct spelling you would be at just under $2k with brand new retail parts.

A buddy build a savage with a little lower key parts and has about $800 in his. I really doubt if they shoot much different but I am a Remington guy.

The savages are muuuuuuuuch easier to rebarrel.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    $800 is about right for a Savage, less if you can get a deal on the donor.

That is one fat barrel. Length? Twist? Weight?

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    $800 is about right for a Savage, less if you can get a deal on the donor.

That is one fat barrel. Length? Twist? Weight?

Barrel is 18" and I have all my notes at work, but I want to say it was 1:12. I could be completly wrong on that though. The barrel was tapered at the same specs as a Remington Varmint, as was the stock.

I have not weighed it yet. But it AINT light. It will be a 90% tree stand, box blind gun but I went with the 18" barrel just in case.

I don't plan on shooting it out past 150-175 yards and only IF I am comfortable with the groups at that distance.

Twentyfootdaredevil

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 4, 2011
    Chandler, In
    I don't plan on shooting it out past 150-175 yards and only IF I am comfortable with the groups at that distance.

This has me puzzled. Why build a rifle like that with no intention of shooting farther than 175 yards? Honestly, I am very comfortable with my 77/44 at those distances.

Other than that, it is a very nice rifle you put together.

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    This has me puzzled. Why build a rifle like that with no intention of shooting farther than 175 yards? Honestly, I am very comfortable with my 77/44 at those distances.

Other than that, it is a very nice rifle you put together.

You may be comfortable with a .44 at that distance, but the difference is that out to 300 yards the .358 Hoosier has almost as much energy then a .44 Mag does at the muzzle.

Besides, distance shooting is a personal choice. At this point in my hunting lifecycle I don't shoot any bucks under 145" with near perfect racks. Past 150 yards I have trouble gauging the rack. If a buck doesn't meet that criteria then I would rather leave it for one of my lease partners or their children.

Beyond that I am pure meat hunter and I don't see any sense shooting a doe at long range when I can wait 20 minutes to an hour and take one at 50 yards almost all day long.

Twentyfootdaredevil

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 4, 2011
    Chandler, In
    You may be comfortable with a .44 at that distance, but the difference is that out to 300 yards the .358 Hoosier has almost as much energy then a .44 Mag does at the muzzle.

Besides, distance shooting is a personal choice. At this point in my hunting lifecycle I don't shoot any bucks under 145" with near perfect racks. Past 150 yards I have trouble gauging the rack. If a buck doesn't meet that criteria then I would rather leave it for one of my lease partners or their children.

Beyond that I am pure meat hunter and I don't see any sense shooting a doe at long range when I can wait 20 minutes to an hour and take one at 50 yards almost all day long.

Very good points, I didn't even think about antler selection. I am 100% a meat hunter, I can tell if its a shooter buck and that is generally good enough for me.

Even though I agree with what you are saying I wouldn't discount the .44 past 150 too fast. Both deer that I killed past 150 yards dropped pretty quick, one in its tracks @168.

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    Very good points, I didn't even think about antler selection. I am 100% a meat hunter, I can tell if its a shooter buck and that is generally good enough for me.

Even though I agree with what you are saying I wouldn't discount the .44 past 150 too fast. Both deer that I killed past 150 yards dropped pretty quick, one in its tracks @168.

Yep, shot placement is the key. But I do like power!!! :)

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    I shot a .358 Hoosier last weekend made using a Marlin bolt-action. Firsttime I shot it the group was slightly less than 1" at 100 yards.
    Do not think that this round is limited to deer hunting in Indiana. With its capabilities your new rifle should be good for any game, (moose, black bear,elk) in N. America with the exception of the big bears. With ballistics almost identical to the .358Winchester you could even use it for many of the African plains species. With the right loading and practice it should be good to and even past 300 yards.

Top Bottom