• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • djones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Greenfield
    A buddy of mine would like for me to load for his 358 Hoosier. If I buy a 358 Hoosier full length sizing die could I use my 35 Remington bullet seating die to seat bullets?

I also have a lee FCD for 35 rem I shortened for 1.8" cases I thought I could try it also.

boostedtwo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 1, 2013
    Corydon, IN
    Not sure, pretty sure you at least have to use the full length sizing die from hornady for the 358 hoosier, but as far as seating im not sure, would like to know the answer as well though, I just loaded 50+ rounds for myself at a buddies, the dang dies are expensive.

djones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Greenfield
    I may just use a 35 cal neck sizing die. He already has 40 cases. Maybe that will work too. I will try to update my progress.

I wish Lee's custom shop was available.

HuntMeister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 21, 2010
    I have been using a 380 carbide die to neck size my fire-formed cases. Neck tension is slightly less than when I use the Hoosier die when seating bullets.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I'm not sure how generous the body of the 35Rem seating die is, so it's hard to say if it would accommodate the larger body diameter of the 358 Hoosier case. There's really only one way to find out; have your buddy mail you a piece of brass to see if it fits. Like the commercial says, if it fits, it should "seat". :)

tnek13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Hornady has a 35 cal seating die for about $24 - You can neck size with a 38 Super handgun die get a Lee carbide die for $23.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    You can buy a 358 Winchester die and shorten it by .2" Then hold the die off the ram by .1" and you will be good to go. I think the lee die set is about $35. I use a neck sizing die after fire forming cases. That is how I have made all my cases. They started out as 308 cases. I cut them to 1.8" then run them through a full length sizer die that I cut the .2" off of. Hold the ram off the die by .1" and run them though the die after using a light lubing wax.

Good luck with what ever you decide. I thought paying over $100 for a set of dies was way to much also.

Last edited:

boostedtwo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 1, 2013
    Corydon, IN
    so 6mm shoot, your saying if you buy a set of 358 winchester dies and cut .2 off the bottom of the die they will form the 358 hoosier brass just fine?

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Maybe... it depends how well you want your brass to fit the chamber.

Be advised... the .358 Win sizing die DOES NOT have the same shoulder dimensions as a .358 Hoosier - it will be smaller than .358 Hoosier specs; .358 Win brass being longer and having the same taper there is no way around this fact. Also, after cutting 0.2" off a .358 Win sizing die, the base of your .358 Hooser brass will also be forced into a smaller dimension than .358 Hoosier specs. Many many posts were spent arguing this topic and 6mm Shoot did it anyway. To save $100.

Will it fit? Yes, I suppose. But you are working your brass more than necessary.

If you go this route, I would also get a .358 Win neck sizer die (unfortunately Lee Collet Dies aren't listed for the .358 Winchester, so there goes the cheap option) and cut 0.2" off that one too. At least then you can fire form the brass to fit the chamber, reduce the amount you are working the brass, and probably improve accuracy while you are at it.

boostedtwo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 1, 2013
    Corydon, IN
    I already have plenty of 358 Hoosier brass, could I use a 358 Winchester seater die to reload them?

Maybe... it depends how well you want your brass to fit the chamber.

Be advised... the .358 Win sizing die DOES NOT have the same shoulder dimensions as a .358 Hoosier - it will be smaller than .358 Hoosier specs; .358 Win brass being longer and having the same taper there is no way around this fact. Also, after cutting 0.2" off a .358 Win sizing die, the base of your .358 Hooser brass will also be forced into a smaller dimension than .358 Hoosier specs. Many many posts were spent arguing this topic and 6mm Shoot did it anyway. To save $100.

Will it fit? Yes, I suppose. But you are working your brass more than necessary.

If you go this route, I would also get a .358 Win neck sizer die (unfortunately Lee Collet Dies aren't listed for the .358 Winchester, so there goes the cheap option) and cut 0.2" off that one too. At least then you can fire form the brass to fit the chamber, reduce the amount you are working the brass, and probably improve accuracy while you are at it.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I already have plenty of 358 Hoosier brass, could I use a 358 Winchester seater die to reload them?

You could almost certainly use a 358 Win die to seat bullets for a 358 Hoosier, minus the crimp. For that you'd likely need to buy and modify a Lee 358 Win FCD.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    As I have stated above. I have made all my brass from 308 Winchester brass. I cut it to 1.8". I took a set of 358 Winchester dies and cut .2" off them. I set up the full length sizer die .1" off the presses ram. That gives the shorter neck. You have to take .1" out of the case and .1" off the neck. I lightly lube the case neck inside and out and run the case through the full length sizer die. Then I clean the new case with a q-tip on the inside and wipe off the outside. I trim the case to 1.75. Then I load cases to fire form. After case is fire formed I use a Redding neck sizing die.

Now it has been stated that I am working the brass to much. I don't know of any wild cat round that isn't fire formed. After fire forming regardless how you made the brass you are forming the brass to the chamber it was fired in. Now when you want to reload that brass you should be neck sizing the rounds to reload. It is much easier on the brass.

I have had no problems with my rounds. They are accurate and I have had no problems with them. If it works, why change it?

Good luck with how ever you decide to go.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Fireforming is generally only needed when swaging won't work, like increasing the shoulder angle, pushing the neck forward, or taking taper out of the case walls. Many wildcats don't use fireforming, and mine doesn't, but out of respect to the OP, I won't belabor the point.

Anyways, I missed the part where you were neck sizing. How much was that Redding neck sizing die, $65?

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    The 358 neck sizing die cost me a little over $25. I must say I didn't have to buy it for the Hoosier. I had it for the 358 Winchester and my 357 Herrett. By the way I had to fire form cases for both my Herretts. I guess I just don't have as much time in on wild cats as you do. I hope that helps. You have a good day.

djones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Greenfield
    I've been using a lee collet die for 35 rem with a 0.095" thick washer between shell holder and die to neck size 358 win and 358 Hoosier. I much prefer this method of sizing because you don't need to use case lube!!!

I am still neck sizing and haven't needed a full length size yet. Thinking about trying to make my own die similar to 6mm before I take the $160 for a custom sizing die.

I would really like to borrow/rent a 358 Hoosier full length die but haven't found anybody willing to part with their die for the weekend...I'd pay shipping both ways and may be able to trade some cast bullets in 30, 35, 44 or 45 cal!

thanks guys for the help with this topic.

Top Bottom