• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Varmint Killer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2015
    Brazil
    Anybody have one of these barrels and overall assessment of cartridge performance? I have MGM barrels so not concerned over their end.
    Thanks,

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    I took two does with the .358 within 3 seconds of each other with a Rem 700 and it dropped both in their tracks. Shots were about 30 and 40 yards. I have since sold it and now i'm playing with .458 and .50Beo in AR's for this season.

Is it the stopping power of a 12ga slug? No.

Does the 200" yard accuracy and compact features of a cool little bolt action make up for the lack of 12ga power. Heck ya.

JMWetzel89

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    I have a 1.62" 358 bfg on a Winchester model 70. I love the gun last year I dropped a doe where she stood at 210 yards. I shoot a 200 grain hornady ftx, most people I know use the 200 grain Barnes I thought about trying it but mine shoots less than MOA at 100 yards and after seeing its performance I see no need to try a bullet that costs twice as much. Maybe I'm just lucky my rifle likes them. If I was to do it again I would do a 1.8 Hoosier because the brass is easier to find and cheaper when you do.

JMWetzel89

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Or you could trim 35 rem and not have to modify the gun. You can pick up a cva single shot in 35 rem for a little over 200 bucks. Then if they open up the restrictions your gun won't be worthless and you can shoot non trimmed full power loads.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    The 358 Hoosier is a shortened 358 Winchester. I started working up loads for the Hoosier by using starting loads for the 358 Winchester. Out of a five shot group I get 2450 F P S average. My rifle is set up for a 230 yard dead hold using a 6" kill zone. I have killed four deer with it so far and I have never had one take more than a couple steps. Two fell where they were shot.

I think it is a great round. Then I have always liked the 358 Winchester. It will take about anything that walks or craws in the USA. As a old hunter once told me, it just plain works. It don't have the kick of the 35 Whelen and only gives up about 150 FPS to it. The 350 Remington Magnum will give you the same FPS as the 35 Whelen. The advantage of the 350 over the whelen is it uses a short action.

Last edited:

mike trible

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    I shoot a Rem. Model 7 in 35 REM. I 'shortneck' the cases to 1.8". Have shoot two deer that fell where they stood, using 200gr Hawk bullets. I think that if I was going to try something else, it would be in 358 Win. caliber, and I would try that 'shortnecked' to 1.8", and crimp the bullets in .

Last edited:
    Top Bottom