• ...and so much more!
  • jlm223

Aim Small Miss Small
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 22, 2009
    Muncie
    I got one today in Muncie, missed out on the $100 rebate, my wife is not very happy, but I like it.

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    I picked one up on Friday (OK, so I didn't actually pick it up, I just sorta slid it across the garage floor) and discovered a small dent on one side at the bottom -- shaped amazingly like a fork lift's fork. I took a picture of the damage and drove back to Menard's to see how they would like to address the issue.

A manager eventually materialized, and she said that she couldn't do anything about it, but that she could call the district manager. I told her that I'd wait.

After about 5 minutes on the phone, she said that all he could do was refund $50. I reminded her that my next-door neighbor also bought one because I told him about the sale, but she just stared at me. So, I said OK.

She printed out a new receipt that reflected the new sale price and told me that I would have to use that receipt for the 11% rebate. I said, "So I'm not really getting $50 back, because the rebate will now be 11% of a lesser amount."

She glared at me and snarkily snarled, "We'll, you can bring it back for a refund, if you'd rather do that." I just smiled and thanked her. However, I had to bite my tongue to keep from saying, "I'm guessing that you're single. Probably divorced and still can't figure out why he ran off with someone else, right?"

Anyway, I took the advice on this thread and anchored the safe in the corner where getting leverage with a pry bar would be tough. The house alarm would be blaring as well, and a deputy en route. Should be good to go now. Much better than keeping the guns in their cases.

image_zps5ffe4ab5.jpg

image_zpsf64a25e5.jpg

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Anyway, I took the advice on this thread and anchored the safe in the corner where getting leverage with a pry bar would be tough. The house alarm would be blaring as well, and a deputy en route. Should be good to go now. Much better than keeping the guns in their cases.

Nice upgrade. Given that the entry door opens towards the safe, you should check if it opens far enough to hit it. If it does, you should see about getting some kind of rubber stops to keep them from dinging each other up.

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    Nice upgrade. Given that the entry door opens towards the safe, you should check if it opens far enough to hit it. If it does, you should see about getting some kind of rubber stops to keep them from dinging each other up.

Not a problem. That door doesn't open. It's screwed shut. Good observation though. It sounds like something I would do. :D

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    FWIW, today I was at GM and looked at a $1000 Liberty safe. I really couldn't see $500 (or in my case $700) more value. Same fire ratings, etc. Same basic interior except it had a vinyl border instead of felt around the rack. I am happy I took the low road this time.:)

tskin

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2008
    West Central Indiana
    I got mine set up in the corner yesterday & got it nice & organized today. It's a funny thing though, once you start filling them up they don't look quite as big... I especially like the skeleton key that comes with them incase the electronic lock ever fails.

7urtle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    hammond
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/SentrySafe-G1459E-14-Gun-Electronic-Powder/dp/B002DELV7M/ref=sr_1_25?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1359945558&sr=1-25&keywords=safe]Amazon.com: SentrySafe G1459E 14-Gun Electronic Lock Safe, Black Powder Coat: Sports & Outdoors[/ame] have it for 521. i was just thinkin i need one for apartment. just need to figure out how to get in my place when i order it

theundeadelvis

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    FYI, just bought one at the Menards in Bloomington last night. Still $499 (after $100 rebate). They had 2 left after I bought mine.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Sorry about that... I called in Monday night and purchased the only remaining one (floor model) over the phone...

Last time I tried to use a 10% coupon it didn't discount the sale items. Since this safe is heavily discounted I'm certain that the 10% coupon will not work. I use the $10 coupons instead and those do work on sale items.

PSA for those that are buying one of these. #1 It is possible to move it yourself. I did last night out of necessity. My neighbor was supposed to help but when I got back home with the safe and told him I was ready he said he was sick and couldn't help. I had already laid it flat on it's back in the truck so I just slid it to the balancing point and slowly lowered it down to the ground then tipped it up straight. I then "walked it" corner-by-corner into my walkout basement.

#2 If you're not putting this on a concrete floor in a basement etc I highly recommend you add more insulation in the bottom. The bottom is only a single sheet of drywall and a thin sheet of particle board. There is a large air-gap between the bottom steel and the drywall leaving room for another sheet of drywall in there.

#3 I highly recommend you take the inside cover off and check all the fasteners in the door. I had several loose fasteners and things were "rattling" a lot. Caution: the lock-nuts on all of the sliding mechanisms are supposed to be "loose" to allow things to slide freely but mine were very loose. I lubed the slide points then snugged all the fasteners down to take the rattle out. My handle now turns with a bit of force but not overly hard.

#4 Seeing as how the door is going to be the most vulnerable part of my safe during a house fire I decided to add some extra insulation in there. I cut figerglass "duct-work" sheet with the foil backing on them to fit inside the door. I have 1-1/2 layer that is notched around all the door components then a final layer that covers them all. That should hopefully prevent the problem with the contents in the top of the safe overheating that is often seen in these cheap safes during a house fire.

#5 This is just a general announcement for anybody looking at getting one. These do have a key-override which can be a good thing or bad thing. The shelf supports a plastic (won't hold much weight), and the locking mechanism is the typical "junk" seen on cheap safes. The 1-3/4" locking bolts are only 2 inches long, single-supported, and are attached to the thin, stamped steel slide mechanism by nothing more than a 5/16" bolt. What this means is that during a pry attack, your door is going to pop open easily if they can get good leverage on it. I HIGHLY recommend placing this safe in a corner with the left wall of the safe against the wall of your house so that a thief cannot get a good angle to pry the door open.

#3 item is very good to do! I did what you said and snugged the fasteners just enough to take some slop out, but still allow smooth operation. I greased all the sliding parts and it works much better now. The handle turns nicely and doesn't feel as "cheap".

Mine sits on a slab so no worries of anything getting to the bottom and I have no choice but to set it so the right side is against a wall.

Overall I am happy with it. I am going to take out the rifle rest, make a solid shelf for the right side and use rifle rods to store my rifles on the left side. I don't have many so they will fit easily.

Sullivan_pbr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    Romney
    I picked mine up yesterday afternoon. The rebate is still good. I got it in the house and into position and so far I'm pretty impressed at the 500 dollar price point. I did take the advice above and open up the door and tightened up a few loose nuts and generously lubricated all the moving parts. So far everything is working very smooth. My only complaint would be that the door has a good bit of slop in it when latched. I'm going to look into that at a later date. Overall I think this would make anyone a great economical safe.

theundeadelvis

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    I picked mine up yesterday too. After a massive struggle, destroying my back, and turning my yard into a mud pit, I get it in the house. Guess what, no manual, no door handles, no keys. Manager is supposed to call me today to sort it out. Does seems nice for the money, but like you mentioned, there is some slop in the door. Let me know if you come up with a solution.

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    I bought a Johnson safe, holy crap its unreal. got the thicker steel option, amazing safe, amazing interior, amazing quality and craftmanship, costs a bit more than the mass produced safes, but worth every penny.

Htrailblazer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Franklin
    I bought a Johnson safe, holy crap its unreal. got the thicker steel option, amazing safe, amazing interior, amazing quality and craftmanship, costs a bit more than the mass produced safes, but worth every penny.

Yeah like three times as much a this one. I know they are good but not everyone can afford them and this provides an alternative.

jazzy1993

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Lake County
    Griffith Menards in NWI has 3 left. I just got mine home and need some muscle to help move it in from the garage, going to have to buy some beer for my buddies. I am going to double check to make sure I have the keys, manual and handles.
    I can see why they are all dinged up, all 3 they had in Griffith were tossed up on the racks and the forklift had to pick the safe up with the forks instead of the mini pallets (which were uselessly placed on top of the safe). You can ask your local Menards to pull up stock on the safe, just mention it as the 36 gun safe and they will likely know what your talking about.

Top Bottom