• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I need recommendations for a set of dies that can reload 38 special and .357 mag. I want to load 38 special rounds for plinking with my GP100 with a 6 inch barrel. And I want to load 357 mag rounds for use in my Ruger 77/357 with a 16.5 inch barrel.

Anyone have any suggestions on a good set of dies?

And what kind of crimp I should use?

Dirc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Noblesville
    I've used Lee dies exclusively, including for my .357s. I've always been happy with their performance so I can't justify spending more for other brands. It may just be a case that I don't know what I'm missing.

I don't own a .38 and although I have shot a bunch through my .357s I've never bothered adjusting them to reload .38 brass. You can, though.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Get a set of Lee carbide .38 special dies. They will reload .357 fine just by adjusting them out of the press about a tenth of an inch. RCBS sells pre measured washers to use when doing this so you do not even have to adjust the dies when going to .357. Very easy.

charley59

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    In Carroll County
    Lee Carbide .38 Special dies for both .38 Spec. and .357 M. Roll Crimp with the Lee die for revolvers. Make sure to have a good roll crimp for the .357 loads to keep the bullet from being pulled from unfired cartridges in the cylinder when you shoot. (this is probably more of an issue with the .44M). When buying dies for the .44M, if you buy 44 Special dies, it gives you the option to load .44 Special ammo also.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    My die spacer washers are in a little green plastic box that says RCBS on it. I couldn't find where they still sell them. I looked at MidwayUSA and found a Redding set that is the same thing. The kit is MidwayUSA number 189-290 and the three piece kit costs $10.49. It is not an absolute necessity to have them, but it is quicker and you do not loose the adjustments that you already made to the dies when you loaded .38. Good Luck

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    As low price as the Lee dies are, I got several sets so I can leave each set adjusted for a particular application: 38 SPL, 357 Mag. and 357 Maximum. Also highly recommend the Lee factory crimp dies. I just like to do the bullet seating and crimping as individual stages. Mostly us a Dillon 550 but the same applies to single stage and turret presses. Highly recommend the Lee dies.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    So I was just looking at some Lee dies, and called them up to see if the set I was looking at was a roll or a taper crimp. The customer service lady made it seem as though she was unconcerned with my questions and did not give me very clear answers. So screw you Lee your customer service blows.

On the other hand when I called RCBS the lady I talked to there not only was polite but explained things about the RCBS dies that I didn't know. So Lee out, RCBS in. I don't think I'll ever purchase another Lee brand product. It is going to be all RCBS and Lyman stuff from here on out.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I know that it does not affect you at this point, but I figured it may help someone else. In every set I have ever examined, the Lee die sets for revolver cartridges are roll crimp, the calibers for semi auto pistols are taper crimp.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    Semi-auto pistol dies always use taper crimp because they headspace off the front of the case as there is no rim to locate the cartridge in the chamber. Cases for revolvers have a rim to headspace on and thus use a roll crimp. I have used both RCBS and Lee dies and can't find any difference between them other than price. I recommend the Lee loading manual before starting into reloading. This book has excellent information regarding all phases of reloading with lots of "why" as well as the "how to." Of course it includes all the normal reloading manual stuff too.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Lee Carbide .38 Special dies for both .38 Spec. and .357 M. Roll Crimp with the Lee die for revolvers. Make sure to have a good roll crimp for the .357 loads to keep the bullet from being pulled from unfired cartridges in the cylinder when you shoot. (this is probably more of an issue with the .44M). When buying dies for the .44M, if you buy 44 Special dies, it gives you the option to load .44 Special ammo also.
    The HOTTER you load, ( more powder heavier bullet), the more roll crimp you need ..... when shooting a .44 mag with HEAVY loads, years ago, I had a bullet "back out" and lock up the revolver .....

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    If your GP is chambered in .357, I would forget the .38's and just load powder puff .357's by using Trail Boss powder. I am running 5 gr of Trail Boss under 147 gr hard cast wad cutters in .357 cases, and they are a blast to shoot, uber accurate too.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    If I had to do it again, I would get the four die set. The three die set will do what you want to do, but the factory crimp die would be really nice for those times I'd like to seat and crimp in two stages. The seating/crimp die puts a roll crimp on it whereas the fcd puts a crimp somewhere between roll and taper- just like you see in factory cartridges.

As to crimp, hoss those dudes down. I go one shade shy of buckling the case in 38/357.

Top Bottom