• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    I'm looking at getting a rifle that will primarily be used for subsonic suppressed plinking. And I'm constantly going back and forth between the .38/.357 and .300blk. All I know for sure, right now, is that the rifle will be an H&R Handi-rifle. So far I've come up with this-

Pros-
    300blk- offers better BC for longer range shots
    Supersonic loads would make for a decent hunting cartridge

.38/.357- cheap and plentiful ammo
    Could ream to 357 max for hunting

Cons-
    300blk- stupid tapered barrel and short stock on the Handi
    More expensive to reload

.38/.357- not as effective at longer distances
    ???

What else do i need to consider? Am I over looking anything important?

and I'm gonna go ahead apologize for starting another "300blk vs ???" thread.

in812

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    I was not impressed with sub sonic 300 blk don't think it's whats it's hype up to be
    spent 100's if not 1000's in powder/bullet combos trying to find a load that worked and stayed subsonic and accurate
    even tried couple different guns
    If it were me I'd go 357 lots of options for bullets and brass is everywhere
    it's tired and true cant go wrong with the 357 IMO

sgtonory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 10, 2012
    Carmel
    I went 300 blk option. That said I am looking at getting a hand rifle in 357. Easier to reload for and I have tons of bullet options

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    Thanks guys. I'm suprised by your answers. I was really expecting to hear mostly 300blk. I have been leaning heavily towards the .357 but wanted to see if I could be persuaded to the 300. Looks I'll probably go with my gut and get the .357 unless someone can give me some reasons to go blackout.

rxer

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 5, 2014
    Crown Point
    Save the time for sizing/trimming and go with the 357. You can vary the load from Cowboy mouse fart loads all the way up to full house 357 loads.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    My best advice is as normal; Buy Both! Now, before you dismiss this idea, remember that H&R has a barrel accessory program. Buy the .300 BLK, because you can only get it from AAC, then ship the frame to H&R and for $104.03 you will get a fitted 22" .357 barrel. Two minutes and a phillips head screw driver and you can have either caliber, depending on what ammo you happen to have loaded up that week.

http://www.hr1871.com/Support/accessoryProgram.asp

I have both calibers, the .38/357 in a Rossi 1892 clone. I've had it for years; killed my first two deer with it, shot thousands of rounds out of it, etc. I recently got it threaded and its an all new fun toy! I have a mold that casts a 195gr bullet and it shoots excellent. Lots of available options from the factory and even more f you handload in .38 & .357. The .300 BLK I have had in a 16" AR, now an 8.5" AR pistol as well as a rebarreled Savage bolt action. Super quiet, but thump, and ability to load a wide variety of bullet weights and styles. Really, if you are looking at 150 yards and under, I doubt you'll find a difference between the two. If you want heavy bullets, you can easily buy .358 bullets in the 200-250gr range, as long as your barrel will stabilize them. Want a hot, light bullet to zap a coyote? Tons of 125's and even 110's out there! I doubt you'll be using a cheaper single shot for long range target shooting, so the ballistic advantage of the Spitzer bullets available in .308 caliber is kind of wasted.

The more I type, the more it sounds like Im leaning towards the .357. I guess if I had neither and wanted one for your exact desire, I'd probably go with the .357 for ease of loading/shooting. Since I have the leverguns in .357 and the AR's and bolt action in the .300, both are going to stick around this place for awhile...

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I'm for the .357 magnum option simply because of the wide variety of loads it can handle in the right gun.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Don't delay, because the H&R Handi Rifle and the barrel accessory program are being eliminated. As in, they are going away and not coming back any time soon, if ever.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    I have a Ruger 357/77 that our friends at Diamond Collision threaded for me. He did a beautiful job of moving back my front sight and milled a thread protector which is almost seamless with the barrel. The rifle is a lot of fun, I run either Hornady 140 gr. Leverevolution or Buffalo Bore 180 Gr. hard cast for deer hunting. The mags will also cycle .38 RNL or jacketed HP rounds. Very quiet with target wadcutters and the 9mm can.

That said, I ordered the AAC .300 BLK from impact guns for only $250 this week!! I can run my 9mm can on that too with subsonic ammo.

So, the answer is Both, but the .357 first.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    Well I settled on it today. I was browsing Facebook yesterday and came across this. It's already reamed to .357max, has the stock I was wanting to put on it anyways, and came with 35rds of loaded 357max ammo and 45 pieces of max brass. It also had the red dot on it already but I'll be swapping that out for some glass with a BDC. Ended up on a final price of $270 for all of it. Hopefully I'll be able to get chucked up in the lathe soon and chop and thread it. A few days ago a friend showed me a loaded round he had for .357max and I was instantly sold. This thing is awesome and I can tell I'm gonna love it.

Thanks for for all the advice!

Top Bottom