• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gopurdue02

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 2, 2011
    I bought ~1000 rounds of .38 special cases at the gun show that was supposedly once fired brass. While sorting it I noticed about %5 had either case/mouth splits. Not huge and looks like they were just starting; but enough for me to toss them. Does this number seem high? I thought .38 special cases could be loaded nearly forever before splitting. It was a mixture of brass/nickel cases.

Thanks

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I've reloaded 38's cases uncountable times and over 15 years, From my experience when I've had that many split mouths its the fault with the chamber they were shot in.

I've used quality dies on progressive machines but I like to cheat and even with carbide dies I shoot some hornady one shot lube and I've found out that that greatly reduces the work hardening and splitting of straight walled cases, With this technique I've loaded nickled brass so much the nickle is gone and it's down to the brass

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    Agree, sounds more like range pickup to me.
    In any event, selling split cases is pretty ......crummy.
    Who was the vendor?

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    It depends on how thin the brass is (some brands like Remington are thinner and usually are the first to split), how much flare was applied, and how large the chamber it was fired in is. 5% is about average in my experience. If they were all say, Federal cases, the number of splits will be less. Nickel cases usually split pretty fast also.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I'd like to know how much difference there is in chamber diameter from one revolver to another.

Do reloaders always re-size brass used in revolvers?

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Yes, revolver cases have to be resized too. The difference in chamber dia. is not very great but when combined with the other factors can make a difference. I would almost bet that most of the OPs splits were either Remington or nickle plated cases (or both). Careful deburring of the case mouths on new brass helps prevents cracks from starting. Some reloaders and manufacturers don't bother to deburr new brass.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Chamber fit, and other gun measurements have very little to do with revolver mouth splits. Revolver cases get more fatigue at the mouth due to opening the case mouth to accept bullets (belling) and the deep crimp into the crimp groove on the bullet to prevent the bullets from coming out due to recoil interia. That is over twice as much deforming and reforming flexing at that small area as a semi auto round. I kept my competion brass in the same box, time after time. Even with light loads with light crimps on full wadcutter bullets, after 15 reloads, cracking at the mouth was pretty common. Reloaded rifle ammo can be some pretty tired brass. In my own use, the ones that are just beginning to split are loaded one more time for cheap ammo when I do not want to take home the brass. I dump them at the shooting range, I am sure someone will grab them up.

upchurch67

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    My own observation is that nickel cases seem to have a shorter life than brass. Also, I've over expanded the case mouths which of course shortens case life.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Overexpanding and overcrimping will kill any type of case. The Lyman M step die solves the problem of expanding/flaring, and making sure you have sufficient case neck tension allows you to crimp lightly. The crimp has very little effect on holding the bullet in the case. Case neck tension will do a much better job and not overwork the brass. Old Elmer Keith figured all of this out before we were born. Read his books.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    FWIW, my experience:
    1.) Nickel plated casings generally split sooner than brass
    2.) There is a LOT of lot-to-lot variability in the life of nickel plated casings - I've had some split after a just a few loading cycles, but I've had others that lasted so long that the nickel plating wore off the casings on all of the high spots and it was getting pretty thin everywhere else - they looked sorta like a hybrid.
    3.) I've heard of nickel plating flaking off, but I've only experienced it with exactly ONE case. It was strange and informative examining it.
    4.) Deburring the case will ward off mouth splits, enhance case life, and make bullet seating easier. Failure then becomes fatigue splits on the side of the case that occur during firing (no problems from it though, it just goes in the scrap bucket during case inspection and sorting).
    5.) +1 what Drail said about overexpanding and overcrimping killing any type of case. Never tried the Lyman M step die, I will have to look into it :yesway:
    6.) .38 Super nickel plated brass and regular brass both experienced incipient case head separation before they would split at the mouth or sides. They were being loaded pretty hot though :cool:

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Overexpanding and overcrimping will kill any type of case. The Lyman M step die solves the problem of expanding/flaring, and making sure you have sufficient case neck tension allows you to crimp lightly. The crimp has very little effect on holding the bullet in the case. Case neck tension will do a much better job and not overwork the brass. Old Elmer Keith figured all of this out before we were born. Read his books.

You might not have been born but I was 26 when Mr Keith died, and he firmly believed in a HEAVY roll crimp with all his loads. Why do you think there is a crimp groove in all the bullets he either designed or help design.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Nothing wrong with a heavy crimp. I use one on my magnum loads. Keeps the other bullets from jumping when another goes off. And Drail is CORRECT. If you overwork the brass -it fails. I have brass I have reloaded uncountable times. And brass that has failed after a couple heavy loadings. And nickel cases will fail before unplated brass.

Top Bottom