• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Hi all - I'm looking for a smaller carry gun that can occasionally be used on the ankle or in a pocket. THe 38 spl LCR seems like an ok option. Thickness is my only concern as I've never concealed revolvers, only semi-autos.

Any input?

Mustang1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2015
    Westfield
    I’ve never pocket carried it but I have a LCR 357 they I carry on my ankle as a backup gun both on and off duty. Perfect size for an ankle gun if you ask me, and both smaller and lighter than my XDs on my ankle. You’re not going to be able to wear skinny jeans with it, but I quit carrying my 380 when I got my LCR.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I just picked up a S&W 642 for the same reason. With a pocket holster and pants that aren't snug, it jist disappears in my front pocket.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I don't pocket carry in a pants pocket, but the .357 LCR has worked as an ankle gun for me for quite awhile.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I have the .357 LCR also. I have never pocket/ankle carried, but it's a nice small waist gun, and I prefer the shootability of the LCR over a small-frame smith.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I have pocket carried an LCR in a front pants pocket and both interior and exterior jacket pockets. It works well for all those applications.

Obviously the thickness and outline of the cylinder is better hidden with a thicker rubberized holster. For pants with deep pockets and heavier fabrics it's a non issue. For more fitted chinos or khakis you will have some printing.

I have fairly wide thighs so it's not very noticable when I'm standing. These days I pocket carry the LCP for a slimmer profile when seated. I can also switch to back pocket carry if I'm going to be seated near or around people for a long period of time. Think all-employee meeting or theatre style seating where someone is right next to you.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    OslQwY9.jpg

The cylinder width is what kills a snubbie for pocket carry with me, ankle carry I feel this would be less of an issue.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I know a guy (a family member) that has carried a .38 LCR in his pocket (with pocket holster) and he has been very happy with how it disappears. He has also carried it in the inside pocket on his suit jacket. To my knowledge he hasn't carried on the ankle. I have never carried it but have sot it and for a light weight snubby it is very comfortable to shoot and IMHO it has a very smooth action/trigger pull

Carmel Corn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Carmel
    LCR is a great option. The only complaint I have heard about is the grip in a pocket carry. The stock Hogue style grip is comfortable, but definitely bulkier than a 442 or 642 stock grip. The bigger grip coupled with the Hogue texture can catch easier on the inside of the pocket.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I have the boot grip on my LCR. It's slimmer and doesn't have that tacky rubber finish that sticks on fabric.

Stock pic as I just realized I don't have a picture of my own LCR with the boot grip.

ruger-lcr-boot-grip.jpg

Jeffforpresident

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   1
    Nov 12, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I carry a 340pd j frame in front pocket with a black hawk pocket holster. It carries great, super light weight, I think it only weighs 11 ounces and NO it is not that bad to shoot. It would make am awesome ankle carry piece though.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    LCR works fine on the ankle due to it's light weight. Personally, I've found the LCR and the other air-weight snubs to be on the edge of the pocket carry "envelope" for me. However, they work great pocket carrying in jackets/coats during fall/winter.

Hold up one of these snubs next to a G19 sometime, though. Surprisingly, in terms of absolute physical dimensions, they're pretty close. However, their lightweight and boomerang shape make them more carry-able than their absolute size might suggest. It's kind of weird, but it's one of the reasons they're still pretty popular.

Top Bottom