• ...and so much more!
  • BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    I could be nuts, but seem to recall the Model 52 Smith requires flush seated W/Cs. Maybe I'm thinking of the 38 special Colt National Match. FWIW.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Wadcutter only 1911 pattern pistols used to be somewhat popular with conventional bullseye shooters. The are sprung very lightly for soft shooting loads and were very accurate. Something that works but is kind of lost in the past. (like 2700 Bullseye leagues)

I still shoot flush seated wadcutters in a target revolver.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Bg Dave your right its for my sw 52 but I can't find ammo anywhere. Just one of those great guns that the caliber is going away.

If you reload, the 148 gr., dual end wadcutters from Mastercastbulletsinc. in Enon Valley PA. are accurate and reliable. Set them on a little charge of 3.2 gr WW 231, lightly crimp them and watch the middle of the target disappear.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I still have thousands of factory and reloaded 148 wadcutter ammo in GI ammo cans from my PPC shooting days. I tried NRA Bullseye to shoot some of it up, but I am truly lousy at that game.

Maybe I should sell some of it?.....When I get home, I will look to see how many boxes of bullets I have too.

Leo, I thought a light crimp was better?

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Leo's is Right On..

If you reload, the 148 gr., dual end wadcutters from Mastercastbulletsinc. in Enon Valley PA. are accurate and reliable. Set them on a little charge of 3.2 gr WW 231, lightly crimp them and watch the middle of the target disappear.

^^^+1 Leo...

2.7gr. of Bullseye works well also..Bill.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I still have thousands of factory and reloaded 148 wadcutter ammo in GI ammo cans from my PPC shooting days. I tried NRA Bullseye to shoot some of it up, but I am truly lousy at that game.

Maybe I should sell some of it?.....When I get home, I will look to see how many boxes of bullets I have too.

Leo, I thought a light crimp was better?

slough foot, if you do want to sell any, let me know.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    It isn't doing me any good. I will sell all you want to take. Offer me a reasonable price.....I really do need to inventory it though.

I am in Holland Michigan and won't be home until Saturday evening. The bus charter that I am on right now originates and ends in Mooresville at Mt Gilead church.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Wadcutters bring back fond memories of going shooting with the family. It what I used to warm up and just have fun plinking. Then the wadcutters dissappeared for some reason. I went to the .22 LR. All Hail the .38 WC.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I still shoot a 52 and I bought one for my son, I used to shoot Bullseye when I was in the service and the Navy & Marines used Remington made waddcutters and load them and that's what I still buy to load today. Midway puts them on sale every year or so and I order a case of 2000 at a time. No big puff of lube smoke when you shoot them either.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I shoot wadcutters all the time, am I missing something here? I use flat base WC like the one shown above and find they fly truer with the little nipple than those with a flat face. Hollow Base WC's generally have a top end that is rounded or has a little nipple on them. The ones I case all have the little nipple on them FWIW.

I load them from Indiana Bullet and I cast my own as well. I cast hollow base wadcutters for my .38's and flat base for .45 Colt and .32 H&R & .327 Federal magnum. They are great for target shooting and take little powder to propel so there is little or no recoil. I can't say my exact load off hand but I load the .38"s with Bullseye and the .32 calibers with W231. I am working up my .45 Colt load still so I can't say for sure what I will use for it yet.

So why the hubbub about wadcutters? I never thought of them as novel and I thought everyone shot them for paper target shooting. :dunno:

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Because they are hard to find...

"So why the hubbub about wadcutters? I never thought of them as novel and I thought everyone shot them for paper target shooting."

Hog, you know how it goes--Everyone wants something that they can't have/or find.
    Right now Factory loaded WC's are HARD to find

That makes NO difference to US--We just "Roll" our own..HA HA...Bill.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    when i had a converted Super 38 to a wadcutter gun i loaded 3gr bullseye with a 9lb spring......MB 148gr is what i use.....a lot of fun from a wheel gun too!!!

Creeker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    In The Hardwoods
    I like also--What, in your opinion makes this a better choice than the Double Ended WC, or the Hollow Base WC??...Bill..

I'm not sure they are a better choice. I really like the swaged HBWC but since I have all that is needed to cast I make my own. The double end WC with the single, centered lube groove is a fine bullet but I became the owner of a H&G 6 cavity #50 mould in a pile of loading stuff the LGS offered me. After casting & trying a bunch I settled on the bullet. While it has 3 lube grooves & a crimp groove only the bottom groove really needs lube for target loads.

Top Bottom