• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    I've been finding myself carrying my LCP more regularly, although my 9mm is my primary carry gun. But because of deep concealment and work policies, it works out much better to keep my LCP on me. With that said, I started thinking about using FMJs in it instead of hollow points. If there is so much discussion and talk about the marginality of a .380 load, wouldn't an FMJ be a better choice? It would penetrate deeper, especially if it had to go through clothing first.

Need some opinions on the two types...Thanks!

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I've shot JHPs from my Sig 230 into damp phone books and they expanded ok. Even if the bullet didn't expand fully wouldn't it still be better or at least be equal to a FMJ? It certainly wouldn't be any worse I don't think, especially since most JHP are loaded to a little hotter. I may be wrong but that's how I look at it. I carry my Sig more frequently now too. :twocents:

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    I've actually heard one guy advocate using both. Load every other round as one type. JHP - FMJ - JHP - FMJ .....etc. That way you're covered if it has to go through clothing or a strong winter denim or leather jacket. I've never loaded a magazine that way yet, but his reasoning was sound.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    Barrel length and different fps? I can see this more for an AR discussion, but with such similarly short barrels would it really matter?... Just curious!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    I am just thinking a .380 FMJ would be a better choice for SD than would be a JHP, because they are so small and the pocket guns are basically all the same. To me a FMJ would penetrate better and thus more impact than a JHP

D-Bo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Funcie
    The new 380 JHP is the way to go. You dont have to go deep you want a wound channel and jph will give you that.

A5guy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Steuben County
    Buffalo Bore makes a higher pressure JHP, and a hard cast lead flat nose (kind of looks like a semi-wadcutter) that they call +P. They get 1100-1200fps, and the hard cast flat nose definitely would give acceptable penetration in a self defense situation.

I had an unfortunate run in with an apparently sick raccoon in my barn a few days ago, and lit him with a Hydra-Shok out of my DB380. At 10 or so feet, the bullet completely passed through him, and I recovered the copper cup/jacket. It expanded from .355" to .620", so you can take that for whatever it may mean. Seemed like good expansion to me, and was totally lethal, at least to the raccoon.

hemicharger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   1
    Mar 14, 2008
    Anywhere
    1 inch of barrel lenght makes a difference. Sure, your JHP bullets will expand out of a 238 or LCP but they will not have adequate penetration. This issue has been beat to death so many times so here it goes.
    The 2.75" barrel on an LCP,P3AT and P238 will not give you the velocity to push an "expanded JHP" to meet the 12 to 16" of penetration.
    Humans are not wet phone books so stop using that as your guide to how well a bullet performs.

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    Here's an article that may be of interest.

http://www.brassfetcher.com/380ACP%20ammunition%20performance%20in%20ballistic%20gelatin.pdf

Note: In the table, dividing "cutting perimeter" by 3.141 will give you a rough idea of the expanded diameter (1.07" to 1.12" = zero expansion).

Thanks for the link. It looks like the Hydra Shocks were the only hollowpoint that managed to penetrate 12". They also expanded to a bit over 1/2". Makes me feel better about picking up a box of them for my wife's new TCP. Gonna function test them today.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Thanks for the link. It looks like the Hydra Shocks were the only hollowpoint that managed to penetrate 12". They also expanded to a bit over 1/2". Makes me feel better about picking up a box of them for my wife's new TCP. Gonna function test them today.

The data here is a bit older, but the results are similar (last one on the page):

.380 ACP Ammunition Performance Data

Top Bottom