• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    I haven't searched for it so my apologies if it's been discussed. But my wife is ready to start carrying her LCP after having it for a year now and I wondered if a FMJ would provide better penetration and stopping power than a HP. To me it makes sense with a smaller load, but I could be wrong.

Anyone carry or prefer one over the other?

WLW

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I carry Winchester white box fmj's in the winter due to penetration concerns knowing a lot of folks wear leather jackets. I chose the Winchesters because they're a flat point instead of a round nose which leads me to believe that the frontal impact of the bullet may cause more damage.

In the warmer months I carry Hornady Critical Defense.

Hope that helps!?!?

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    I have read that some people alternate their loads. I personally carry JHP for EDC. I shoot FMJ when at the range, but I have carried for EDC as well.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I've seen this kind of question posed a bunch of different ways. The final-final always seems to be: If she's proficient with the gun and puts shots on target, the BG is going to be wishing he was somewhere else, regardless of what kind of bullets are coming his way. It's not like he's going to come to a realization that bullets are not fully penetrating his heavy coat...he's going to be thinking, "holy **** she's got a gun and I'm gonna DIE!".

With that being said, I've seen some very encouraging penetration/expansion testing results from the XTP bullet in a 380. I load Sierra's for my wife's carry gun and she's getting better at shooting them all the time.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    I've seen this kind of question posed a bunch of different ways. The final-final always seems to be: If she's proficient with the gun and puts shots on target, the BG is going to be wishing he was somewhere else, regardless of what kind of bullets are coming his way. It's not like he's going to come to a realization that bullets are not fully penetrating his heavy coat...he's going to be thinking, "holy **** she's got a gun and I'm gonna DIE!".

With that being said, I've seen some very encouraging penetration/expansion testing results from the XTP bullet in a 380. I load Sierra's for my wife's carry gun and she's getting better at shooting them all the time.

You make a good point about surprising the BG, that a woman's carrying and firing at him. So given that, a FMJ is going to work for her. She is proficient in drawing her weapon and firing it. But I may look into some other types with a JHP and try those out. But it just seems like the FMJ is going to penetrate much harder.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    You make a good point about surprising the BG, that a woman's carrying and firing at him. So given that, a FMJ is going to work for her. She is proficient in drawing her weapon and firing it. But I may look into some other types with a JHP and try those out. But it just seems like the FMJ is going to penetrate much harder.

I think the question that is difficult to answer is whether or not a FMJ that penetrates 100% is more effective than a JHP that expands too quickly and does not penetrate enough, or at all. This is even tougher to figure out when the round is as diminutive as the 380ACP. I'd like to see some penetration tests done, other than the XTP stuff I already saw. I think I'll take a look at that website Woodsie mentioned to see if they can help clarify.

Top Bottom