• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I liked my p238 so much I bought a p938. At the range I am much better in every way with the 238. I carry my p238 IWB and forget its there, I really notice the additional heft of the 938 when I have carried it. In time I hope to become more comfortable shooting the 938 and work my way into carrying it but its additional size and weight is quite noticable to me.

ClarkJr26

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    I would say whatever you are more effective with, try both types at the range and see what you're more accurate with and which one you can use faster and more efficient with, it all depends on the individual in my opinion

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    The only gun I have ever really liked as a pocket carry was an old Polish Army P-64 (which I sold for some reason). The trigger wasn't great but neither are the triggers on the other pocket .380s I have tried. For me IWB is a better option and I don't have to worry about it getting hung up on the pocket. My choice for IWB is a CZ 2075 RAMI in 9mm. It's a little thicker than the pocket nines you have discussed but it is the most accurate little nine I have tried and 15 rounds has to be better than six or eight, right? Anyway, I do agree wholeheartedly that the 9x18 Makarov round is far superior to .380 and that would be what I chose if I had to pocket carry. Great article. Thanks.

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    The grip prints just a little sometimes. For the most part, if somebody does notice it, I bet they think its my wallet or phone. But I'm carrying against company policy and couldn't imagine the additional risk associated with anything larger.

And yes, I look sweet in skinny jeans.

You're gonna need to back that up with pics! :D

MCrupe

Plinker
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Kendallville
    I pocket carry my LC9 all the time, it has become my primary carry weapon because I can not find a good holster to OC my full sized 9mm

AlwaysVigilant

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2013
    Michigan, by way of Indianapolis
    I am looking at the P380 for pocket carry myself. In 5.11 pants, I can cram a Glock 19 in there, so I don't think that is a fair assessment of pocket carry unless you are fortunate enough to be able to wear them to work everyday. In khakis for my office job, even my Sig P290RS is too big to fit in there with a holster and get my hand in to draw. There simply isn't enough room for my hand and the gun to occupy the same space. It sucks because I love that gun, shoot it well, and its 9mm. Same issue with the Shield and the G26, even though "they aren't much bigger".

In a pocket, inches in size might as well be feet. Especially when getting the gun out isn't optimal in the first place. The j frame, also similar in over all size, works better due to its grip shape and separation from the frame, but 5 rounds of 38 SP with a comparatively slow reload time, make a small .380 like the P380 way more attractive than they would be otherwise.

YMMV.

mbaza3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Arizona
    The Kahr P380 is the best carry pistol I have ever had. it is reliable, durable and pleasant to shoot compared to a Ruger LCP or Keltec 3AT.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    Yep, as others have already said, I can't really carry a 9mm comfortably in the pocket. I own both the Keltec 380 and 9mm. I carry the 380 just about every day while at work. The 9mm is either in an ankle holster or I carry it in a cargo pocket while backpacking.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Not that I am doubting the numbers of the Buffalo Bore ammo quoted in the article, it gives both the 9mm and .380 a bit of a lift in the energy department over the average, commonly used SD ammo. Generally speaking, the .380 is good for around 200 fpe, the 9mm in the short barrels is closer to 300 fpe. Try sending a few of those hot loads downrange in a micro-compact pistol, and you might decide for yourself that its just a little on the warm side of comfortable. I have tried BB .380 in my LCP, and have run Winchester +P+ in my wife's PF-9, but only to satisfy my curiosity.

As for pocket carry, I have an LCP, and a J frame that sees occasional pocket duty, and I have given both the PF-9 and Kahr MK-9 a try in pocket duty. The LCP is the most comfortable for me. The 9s are both just a bit bulky for me, though I will admit, even more than a few keys on a key ring in my front pockets are annoying. Fast forward to winter pocket carry, and my J frame becomes a favorite in jacket pocket duty. Its a hammerless, and as such, it would tend to be more reliable in the confines of a pocket over either semi-auto fired from a pocket.

Would I prefer a 9mm over the .380, definitely. Under normal circumstances, I dont pocket carry. But there are always times when "normal" doesnt happen, and .380 in the pocket is better than a .45 or 9mm left at home in the safe...

Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I'm late to this thread, but I front pocket carry my PM9 every day. Have been for years. Jeans and Dockers. If anyone has ever thought it was a gun, they never said anything about it.

Sigmachirev

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2013
    Terre Haute
    It all depends what you are doing I guess. When I am working my late nights cleaning I walk around a lot I carry LPC .380 but during the day when I am setting at my desk job all day I carry my P95 9mm.

Quad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Had an LCP. Sold it and got an LC9. Almost the same size, and I can pocket carry it just as well. Plus I like the fact that it has a thumb safety, whereas the LCP does not.

Top Bottom