• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wazimu

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Based on the present ammo market, which gun should I consider first - a .380 or 9mm Mak. I'm looking at the CZ 82 and 83. I'm not so much interested in ballistics of the 2 cartridges, just the ability to find some ammo and shoot the thing.

Another option is to just dump this choice altogether and jump to 9mm Luger, but I like those CZ pistols.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    There's enough 9x18 ammo around. The CZ likes the Silver Bear, but even CCI and others make 9x18 cartridges, even plenty of hollow points.

9x17 is a bit more expensive.

andfc

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Normally I haven't had much difficulty getting 9x18, and recently I've still been able to find it, and it's been easier to get cheap range ammo than any of my calibers other than 12g. There are definitely a lot fewer options out there for defensive ammo than with .380, but the price and normal availability of surplus ammo (and the price difference of an 82 versus the 83's I've seen for sale) make me happy with the CZ-82, but I also wouldn't hesitate to get an 83 if I came across one at the right price.

It's a great design and definitely a bargain, although it's really not that much smaller than a Glock 19 if you'd rather have a standard service caliber.

IMG_20130109_125556.jpg

Taktical

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2013
    I just picked up a couple of white box winchesters 115s 9mm at wally world last week. Must have hit it at the right time.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I have CZ 82/83s in both calibers and love both. If you tend to order ammo on-line, availability is almost a non-issue. Case price on 9x18mm is typically better. Since any ammo is hard to find right now, I would leave it up to whichever you can find for the better price and in better condition.

For instance, I was in Bradis several weeks ago and they had surplus pistols in both model/calibers. the condition of the 9x18mm 82's was superior at that time. Price was just over $300 OTD, these have gone up like everything else.

Also, remember they use the same magazines which can be pricey and hard to find as well.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Now that I've seen good quality SD ammo for the Mak, it's a tossup for me.

np241or

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2013
    I have had trouble finding any 380 ammo here in south bend, i am in orange beach,Alabama and went to wallyworld in surounding areas ,one had at least 80 boxes of winchester 50rnd for 17.97. No 9mm anywhere.

andfc

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I don't have any experience with double stack Makarovs, but I like the regular single stack version. It's not as ergonomic as a CZ-82, but it's still comfortable to shoot and accurate.

Since this thread started, 9x18 has gotten a bit cheaper, so a Mak or CZ-82 makes a lot of sense to have something around you can actually afford to take to the range.

Top Bottom