• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • randomrambo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 26, 2023
    USA
    Looking into different models; prusa being the main choice ATM but open to options. Looking for like-minded people or being pointed at the place to find more info. Software and hardware expertise would be great as I'm completely new to the 3d printing side of gunsmithing

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Odysee is the big file hosting platform now, and the fosscad subreddit is a good place to start looking.

I'm pretty new to it and still playing with PLA. Pro tip, clean the print bed with soap, water, and alcohol before the first use. It's not clean out of the box.

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    If I was to start over with 3D printing I would look at maybe a Bambu X1-Carbon. From what some others have told me they are easier to setup, and run.

I haven't done anything other than print a benchy, and some display boxes. I have an Ender 3 V2 with a bunch of extra add-ons.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    If I was to start over with 3D printing I would look at maybe a Bambu X1-Carbon. From what some others have told me they are easier to setup, and run.

I haven't done anything other than print a benchy, and some display boxes. I have an Ender 3 V2 with a bunch of extra add-ons.
    I was looking at that model aling with reviews. So much mixed reviews on any along with so called "upgrades". No idea which to get..buy used or new...so confusing really what to get.

el_barto3

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2023
    New Albany
    Looking into different models; prusa being the main choice ATM but open to options. Looking for like-minded people or being pointed at the place to find more info. Software and hardware expertise would be great as I'm completely new to the 3d printing side of gunsmithing
    ender 3 v2 is pretty good out of the box, got a frame off with it that lasted 170rnds before it wouldn't engage the trigger properly

BroodXI

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Salem
    I just built another MK3s+ for strictly printing nylons in an enclosure. And am tossing around the idea of flashing klipper on it. I was never really happy with the first ender i built for the kids, so i started rebuilding it, it's dual belted Z's, linear rails and an voron afterburner hotend. during the rebuild i decided i wanted to keep it for myself. Ender's went on sale, and i picked up a new e3v2 for about $125, and proceded to void th warranty. In went a skr mini running klipper and the thing is just flawless.

@N3utron_Nick's G43x frame is next on my list.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Bambus are usually good but there are a few cases of people that started there and were dissatisfied and moved away. I don't have one, don't have anything against them, do think it's a little silly when I hear someone saying bambu is the answer and they can do no wrong. Creality K1 max is pretty good (I have one and am happy with it), they have more shipping issues than actual printer issues (but they're not immune) so probably better to get it from a place like microcenter than buy online and have it shipped. An ender3 or other budget-priced option will certainly get you started though. Up side is lots of assistance on the web and youtube. Downside is sometimes there's too much help. Another downside is there's a fair chance you'll need help.

Sorta like "What gun should I buy" there are so many good or at least acceptable choices. Prusa's a solid choice, not a lotta flair but sturdy, dependable workhorse.

Waldojr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 22, 2020
    West

Another vote for the Bambu X1-Carbon. It's unreal how easy they are to setup and how fast they will print.

randomrambo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 26, 2023
    USA

Maybe don’t do this…
    It's legal to make, not sell, without a license. Definitely don't do that, personal use only unless you get an ffl for sure

randomrambo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 26, 2023
    USA
    Isn't it illegal to possess 'conversion devices'. So if you print it out, there it is.
    Not aware of any law in respect to manufacturing your own conversion device. As long as it wasn't made for commercial use and you don't sell them it doesn't fall under the nfa act, not saying you won't get hassled. Legal doesn't mean hassle free.

Kurr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County
    Not aware of any law in respect to manufacturing your own conversion device. As long as it wasn't made for commercial use and you don't sell them it doesn't fall under the nfa act, not saying you won't get hassled. Legal doesn't mean hassle free.
    1704637076599.png
    You get caught with a conversion device or in any way shape or form make a pew pew go full auto without proper paperwork and permission, yer cooked.

randomrambo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 26, 2023
    USA
    View attachment 323936
    You get caught with a conversion device or in any way shape or form make a pew pew go full auto without proper paperwork and permission, yer cooked.
    Thank you very much for including the info, the good news is if you did want to build conversion devices or a full auto firearm it (can be) significantly cheaper to build it yourself legally and can be much easier but still have to get permissions slips from the guv.

J

JesusFreak

I'm a bit late to this party, but I've been 3d printing since you had to cobble the machine together yourself with parts off of random websites (because Amazon wasn't a thing yet).

If I were to go out and buy an FDM printer today, it would be the Elegoo Neptune 4 Pro. It's ridiculously fast and around $350 ready to roll (though it's regularly on sale for under $300) for one of the fastest printers on the market under $1000. Stay away from the max though, as they've got some firmware/hardware issues right now. I have a Saturn 2 resin printer and that thing has been absolutely solid since day 1.

One thing to keep in mind... if you want to print ABS, you will need a printer that can get quite hot and you will have to have an enclosure. But most of the time you can get away with PETG which is a good compromise between ABS and PLA.

Avoid anything from Tronxy and Anet. I also avoid Bambu like the plague because they're heavily cloud dependent which I can rant on for days. I don't hate cloud tech, but it does remove a level of "ownership" that makes me uncomfortable in this application. Not to mention the "hundreds of printers randomly started printing" debacle last summer.

Middle of the road is your bog-standard Ender 3 which you can regularly snag for around $100. They're good and will probably work for most applications.

BRHiker

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2023
    Anderson
    Bambu P1S is an excellent printer. I don't think the added features of the X1C are worth the extra money. The P1S can print most engineering and CF/GF filaments.

PLA+ can work well if you print it dense and aren't too rough with it. PETG will likely give you trouble because it sucks at bridges and overhangs. Getting into the more advanced filaments is a pretty deep rabbit hole, and each material has its own pros and cons. Also need to not go cheap on filament, the good stuff costs more but is worth it.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    After 8 years on my MakerFarm Pegasus 12 inch, I am moving to the Bambu P1P, and will be making my own enclosure as a way to used to the new machine. Looking forward to it, should be here in a few weeks. A lot has changed in 8 yrs.

el_barto3

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2023
    New Albany

Maybe don’t do this…
    None of the laws regarding homemade guns are clear when it comes to selling them, but the feds made it crystal clear a while ago you are not allowed to sell a 3d printed gun under any circumstances, unless it's directly to an ffl that MUST serialize it, printing any sort of full auto device, or parts for a silencer is just as against the law as making these parts with a lathe, drill press, CNC milling machine, etc etc (this is to say extremely, like 2-5yrs minimum depending on what you made)

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    After 8 years on my MakerFarm Pegasus 12 inch, I am moving to the Bambu P1P, and will be making my own enclosure as a way to used to the new machine. Looking forward to it, should be here in a few weeks. A lot has changed in 8 yrs.
    Heloooo fellow pegasus 12 owner, I also got one about the same time frame. It's a workhorse but yea, the newer printers are on another level. I paid less a few months ago for my K1 Max that prints about 10x faster and high temps. You won't look back.

Top Bottom