• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • neeltburn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    Guys just wondering if anyone has heard if glock is planning to end production of the Gen 3 guns? If so I think I will go ahead and pick up a Gen 3 G30 SF. I have 3 Gen 3 .40s and prefer the Gen 3 to the Gen 4, not that I think Gen 4s are not good guns I just like the Gen 3 better. What is everyone's thoughts on this?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2012
    Newburgh, IN
    The extractor issue is very real but Glock knows about it and is fixing it for those impacted by it. 9mm is the most impacted caliber from my experience (I had a late model Gen III G19 with issues that Glock fixed). The issues is that they went to an MIM manufacturing process.

If you are looking at purchasing a new Gen III (still my favorite generation), physically look at the extractor. The problematic MIM extractors look different and you can identify them. Simply look a the top line of the extractor when the weapon is in battery. If there is a subtle "dip" in the metal...it's the MIM extractor. That extractor may be OK and it may not be. If you buy that one, you roll the dice.

When I sent my G19 in, it went in with that extractor and came home to me with a new extractor...witha perfectly flat top line/surface just like all the other older 9mm Glocks.

Hope that helps.

Pitchfork

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 4, 2012
    South Bend Area
    The extractor issue is very real but Glock knows about it and is fixing it for those impacted by it. 9mm is the most impacted caliber from my experience (I had a late model Gen III G19 with issues that Glock fixed). The issues is that they went to an MIM manufacturing process.

If you are looking at purchasing a new Gen III (still my favorite generation), physically look at the extractor. The problematic MIM extractors look different and you can identify them. Simply look a the top line of the extractor when the weapon is in battery. If there is a subtle "dip" in the metal...it's the MIM extractor. That extractor may be OK and it may not be. If you buy that one, you roll the dice.

When I sent my G19 in, it went in with that extractor and came home to me with a new extractor...witha perfectly flat top line/surface just like all the other older 9mm Glocks.

Hope that helps.

+1 just bought a 2012 production 3rd Gen Glock 19 and it is currently back at the Glock facility for extractor evaluation/replacement.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2012
    Newburgh, IN
    +1 just bought a 2012 production 3rd Gen Glock 19 and it is currently back at the Glock facility for extractor evaluation/replacement.

I got mine back sometime in the 4th week after I sent it. As I said, the extractor will be new and shapped differently. Also, I'd bet aggressively they put a new ejector in that gun. The old one was labeled "336". The new one you will likely get will be labeled "30274". It's got a totally different shape.

The good news: The gun will be flawless. Mine has at least 1500 through it now and not so much as a hickup. before I sent it in: It was throwing brass into my face and actually stove-piped 3 times. Now, it throws brass perfectly. I'm glad Glock is addressing the issue. And truthfully, I think the problem is more widespread than most people thing. I think it's just that most people who have an affected gun A) don't know any better or B) don't shoot it enough to see the issue.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I have a recent Gen4 G34 I picked up with my GSSF discount. Came with the new ejector and has run flawlessly.

RVB picked up a new Gen3 G34 and has sent it back SEVERAL times without getting it fixed. There is a thread in the Shooting Sports section of his woes.

Update: Glock replaced his with a new one.

NetPIMP

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Columbus, IN
    I'm thinking my late-model gen3 19 needs to go back to Glock as well... 336 ejector, and problem not solved with different extractor (LWD to try an avoid getting another problematic Glock one) or stronger extractor spring.

Since it has to ship overnite, what's the cheapest way people have done this? $55 seems steep to ship?

Any advice?

Pitchfork

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 4, 2012
    South Bend Area
    I'm thinking my late-model gen3 19 needs to go back to Glock as well... 336 ejector, and problem not solved with different extractor (LWD to try an avoid getting another problematic Glock one) or stronger extractor spring.

Since it has to ship overnite, what's the cheapest way people have done this? $55 seems steep to ship?

Any advice?

Yes, call Glock's customer service at 770-432-1202. Ask for their tech support. After I explained the problem, they didn't ask questions. They took my name, address, & serial #. They emailed me a pre-paid FedEx overnight label.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2012
    Newburgh, IN

Any advice?

I had to pay the shipping on mine. Glock used to pay some of the shipping or maybe they still do if you raise hell. I just paid it though - no sense in pissing off the guys fixing my gun.

LWD extractors have been pretty crappy from my research. Nothing against that company, just that extractor. When I sent mine in, I filled out all the paperwork they required and put a simple statement on it: "Please do whatever needs to be done to this G19 to make it like every Glock should be: Perfect. If that means replacing the weapon with a Gen 3 or Gen 4 gun, that is fine. Thank you".

I went the kind route - got my gun back and it is indeed perfect.

GMack_1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2009
    Montgomery Co.
    Picked up my 20C a couple months ago off of Four Guns up in Lafayette. Great gun. 10mm is not as "snappy" as people think...,

Until there is a .380 Glock manufactured in USA, I am one gun away from having all calibers..., GAP! What the hell!

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I have a 336 extractor in my 19. I have about 600 rounds through it, what are the issues you are talking about as all my brass heads about 4 o'clock?

Is it an issue with it breaking or what? I'm just wondering, as I just field stripped it to check LOL

edit: Wait a minute, are you talking ejector or extractor? My ejector is 336, extractor has a raised 2 on it.

Dirtball

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2011
    Just bought a new gen 3 Glock 30 a few days ago, i put 200rds through it on day one, 100 tula crap ran awsome, and 100rds Winchester white box, a little less crappy. Thanks to this post though i will be keeping an eye on any issues that may occur. I hope Glocks customer service is better than the experience i had with FNH.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0

Hope that helps.

Anyone having issues as above, if you would like for me to contact Glock on your behalf, PM me. Glock will only send upgrade parts to a Glock armorer with a current certificate. Rather than ship your pistol to Glock it's much more cost effective for you (and Glock) to send the parts for repair to an armorer. No shipping cost and no worries about something happening to you pistol in transit. It's also a relatively quick fix when the parts arrive, depending on how busy I am but I can usually have it back to you the next day. I've done several for INGO members and others and so far no problems after the repair. I'm in the Greenwood/Bargersville area.
    [FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]

neeltburn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    I have about 350 rounds through my 30 SF now and no issues at all. I also picked up a G17 and have put some rounds through it with out issue, it is also a Gen 3.

Top Bottom