• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Madjack181

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    Rochester
    I have a problem shooting my 4053 & 4046 S&W. No matter how hard I try, I cannot shoot consistent groups with them. The 46 tends to shoot low and to the left. They both have Novak sights so there is no real adjustment. The frustrating thing is I can turn around and pick up my XD40 or XD45 and shoot bullets through bullet holes.
    Any input would be appreciated.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I have a problem shooting my 4053 & 4046 S&W. No matter how hard I try, I cannot shoot consistent groups with them. The 46 tends to shoot low and to the left. They both have Novak sights so there is no real adjustment. The frustrating thing is I can turn around and pick up my XD40 or XD45 and shoot bullets through bullet holes.
    Any input would be appreciated.

Are you right handed? Low-left is usually trigger related.

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    I have a few 2nd and 3rd generation Smiths and all of the triggers are less then desirable from the factory. Rough action, long pulls, etc... They take a bit to get used to and honestly I have never really perfected my shot with any of them.

One thing that seemed to help was pulling them apart and cleaning up all of the moving pieces with rubbing compound and then finish with polishing compound. I looked for the areas that were rough and hit them with rubbing, and then finished them and the rest off with polishing compound. It did help, but still not perfect.

On a side note, I am a big fan of these series of pistols and will buy any and everyone that I see for a reasonable price. Not sure what I like so much about them, but I do.

Madjack181

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    Rochester
    I have a few 2nd and 3rd generation Smiths and all of the triggers are less then desirable from the factory. Rough action, long pulls, etc... They take a bit to get used to and honestly I have never really perfected my shot with any of them.

One thing that seemed to help was pulling them apart and cleaning up all of the moving pieces with rubbing compound and then finish with polishing compound. I looked for the areas that were rough and hit them with rubbing, and then finished them and the rest off with polishing compound. It did help, but still not perfect.

On a side note, I am a big fan of these series of pistols and will buy any and everyone that I see for a reasonable price. Not sure what I like so much about them, but I do.

Thanks for the input. For some reason I like them too. Saw a 4014 at Mishawaka Gun Exchange, they were asking $700 for it.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    From my experience I would say it isn't you. I had a 4006 for not very long. The 4006 series is night and day different (in a bad way) from the 5906 series. What I found with that (and several others that had the 4006/46 series S&W) is the 3rd gen 40 cal S&W's is/were not the most accurate model. Mine was all over the place. I even had adjustable sights and it never was consistent. I feel it is just a quirk with both the 40 cartridge and that particular design. For a duty gun it would be so so but for something to try and consistently hit small steel plates or shoot IPSC with not a good choice.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I've had several 3rd gen nines and a few forties. Although I really liked the nines I could never hit anything with the forties.

Top Bottom