• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dirty Steve

Expert
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    I have 2 3rd generation Colts: an 1860 Army and 1851 Navy. They are new in box and have never been fired. I shoot black powder, but flintlock rifles are really my thing. Precusion pistols,....no. I traded a cut-down Brown Bess for these probably 20 plus years ago and have done nothing with them. Wishing I still had the Bess. I have 2 thoughts::

1. Selling them, but not sure of the value or if there is even a market for them at a reasonable price.
    2. Seeing if anyone makes a conversion for the Colt revolvers.

I have seen the conversion kits for the Uberti and Pietta revolvers but had not seen the same for the Colts. Am I ruining the value or wasting my time converting them? I would be more likely to shoot them as a conversion. If not, they are either going to continue to sit in my safe until I pass on and my kids can figure it out or I am going to sell them.

Thoughts?

Dirty Steve

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Jan 19, 2009
    I would sell the Colts and buy the Italian conversions of the 1860 army and 1851 Navy. Nice looking guns and they take modern ammo, usually 38 special and 45 Colt although there are other calibers. These are by Uberti and ASM. No longer made, the ASM guns have nicer sights and a more elegant look. Putting conversion kits on the Colts will cost you money and not gain anything. New in the box modern Colt BP stuff usually gets good money on GB

convgroup.jpg

Last edited:

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    Gun Broker Penney Auction. The last 2nd gen Colt 1851 I picked up for $550 but have seen $1500 for 2nd gen, 3rd gen use to be a hard sale but today you don't see many of the 2nd or 3rd gen Colts. 2nd gen Colts will letter from Colt but not the 3rd gen.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    Thanks gentlemen. I think a sale is in the foreseeable future. I'd offer them on INGO first,...never done Gunbroker and don't feel to inclined to learn.

Dirty Steve

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    DS, FWIW To many in the Colt collectors arena. The 3rd Gen (Signature series) BP Colts are not considered "real" Colts and as such usually bring less $$ than the 2nd Gen BP Colts and are considered less desirable. Please don't kill the messenger, just relaying what the consensus is from a BP only web site I am a member of. I agree with others here. Sell them and get the Italian repro to shoot. Just my two cents.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom