• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 9mmJV

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    I'd like to thank ALL mentors SO along with shooters I met at last week-end IDPA!
    Thanks for the CZ 75 Bob. Bill, Bob, Fred, Earl, Tim and simply all the guys whom were a great possey! I took my cigars to smoke while at the shoot-out.

I was able to survive and go home to wife with no parts of my body missing(I double checked).
    It was a great experience so thanks to all for the pointers. Bob-thanks for taking time to allow me shooting on your land. first time I missed all targets but I'm sure
    I pierced a lot of holes on your hill!

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Glad to see Juan is now a member. Let's get him properly indoctrinated!

I just bought a Glock 24. It might have to be Juan's next limited gun!

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Glad to see Juan is now a member. Let's get him properly indoctrinated!

I just bought a Glock 24. It might have to be Juan's next limited gun!
    Since he uses my ammo for practice :laugh: you'll have to keep him away from a Glock 24, that uses the short four-tay round and I only have 9mm and 45acp. He'll show up with a gun but nothing to shoot out of it :ar15:

tem375

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 3, 2010
    Good to see you here Juan. Defanitely looking forward to seeing you at some more matches in the near future.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Since he uses my ammo for practice :laugh: you'll have to keep him away from a Glock 24, that uses the short four-tay round and I only have 9mm and 45acp. He'll show up with a gun but nothing to shoot out of it :ar15:

I make my own ammo, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Nothing except .40 is competitive in Limited.

"Practice" is overrated. That's what local matches are for.

Anyone know of a good transfer FFL locally?

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    How did I miss this tread? You mean he didnt use teh Taurus? LOL

If Juan needs a loaner gun, he's welcome to something in my safe. I have a 17, 17L or 24P he's welcome to among others.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    How did I miss this tread? You mean he didnt use teh Taurus? LOL

If Juan needs a loaner gun, he's welcome to something in my safe. I have a 17, 17L or 24P he's welcome to among others.

Well he picked up my CZ75c today, along with 4 magazines. Apparently he may go shooting at Deb's Gun Range tomorrow? He also needed to practice dropping empty magazines and doing reloads so he's planning on doing some dry practice in his home.

His initial plan, which I think makes some sense, is to continue to use this gun for the next couple of competitions just to get used to 1) the competition rules/gunhandling for IDPA, and 2) the gun trigger & controls. I don't want to overwhelm him with different gun choices that have different grip angles, shapes, controls, etc. Let him learn on one and let it go. One advantage of the CZ75 design is that it has controls in the same place as a 1911, a Browning HP and even his Taurus PT111.

Assuming no rain he'll probably be shooting with me on Saturday if his wife will let him out to play for a few hours.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    I would really like to see Juan shooting a full size gun, and preferably one that doesn't require him to thumb down the hammer in order to holster (if his thumb slips and the gun discharges, he will be disqualified).

But if he insists on using your 75c, so be it.

tem375

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 3, 2010
    I would really like to see Juan shooting a full size gun, and preferably one that doesn't require him to thumb down the hammer in order to holster (if his thumb slips and the gun discharges, he will be disqualified).

But if he insists on using your 75c, so be it.

Should be "unload and show clear, slide forward, hammer down, holster." at any match, and in all reallity it should be the same everywhere, there is no reason to thumb down the hammer, if it doesnt have a decocker then just leve the safety on in SA. I don't know much about CZ pistols, but I thought this was common to all pistols, I have always learned it is wrong to thumb drop the hammer on anything but an empty chamber?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Should be "unload and show clear, slide forward, hammer down, holster." at any match, and in all reallity it should be the same everywhere, there is no reason to thumb down the hammer, if it doesnt have a decocker then just leve the safety on in SA. I don't know much about CZ pistols, but I thought this was common to all pistols, I have always learned it is wrong to thumb drop the hammer on anything but an empty chamber?

The CZ 75B is designed to be carried "cocked & locked" just like a 1911.

I suppose if the RO is giving him grief I could put a Hi-Power in his hand, that too is "cocked & locked" gun but there is no option for a DA first pull like there is on the CZ. I don't have a SA version of the CZ, but they do make those too (its just like a Browning HP :): )

I could put him into a full size CZ 75B but he seems comfortable with the compact and they function identically so as long as he is comfortable that seems to make sense.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    The CZ 75B is designed to be carried "cocked & locked" just like a 1911.

I suppose if the RO is giving him grief I could put a Hi-Power in his hand, that too is "cocked & locked" gun but there is no option for a DA first pull like there is on the CZ. I don't have a SA version of the CZ, but they do make those too (its just like a Browning HP :): )

I could put him into a full size CZ 75B but he seems comfortable with the compact and they function identically so as long as he is comfortable that seems to make sense.

Single action guns are not allowed in the divisions in which the CZ-75 is competitive (USPSA Production, IDPA SSP).

This means that the shooter must thumb down the hammer in order to get a double action first shot. Even some very skilled competitors have managed to let the hammer slip and get disqualified, even at major matches.

The Browning hi-power is not competitive in any division of USPSA (though legal in Limited and Limited-10) and would only be allowed in ESP in IDPA. In 6 years of shooting, I've never seen even a single one at a match. It'd also be a giant pain in the ass for the ROs to run someone with a hi-power because of the magazine safety.

As long as he is careful when thumbing down the hammer, it shouldn't be a problem.

The other problem is an issue of gun handling that I'll have to inform him about. If he does holster the gun without thumbing the hammer down, he will be disqualified (day is done, no more shooting). The ready conditions don't permit holstering a double action pistol with the hammer back and the safety off.

I know these seem like arbitrary details but they are very serious safety rules in this game. That is actually why when he asked me what to borrow from you, I told him to borrow a striker fired gun, because it is easier for a new shooter to manipulate a gun with passive safeties and only one trigger pull.

It's the "make ready" or "load and make ready" command I'm talking about. The competitor must pull the trigger and dry fire the gun at the, "if clear, hammer down, holster" command as a second safety to assure that the gun is empty.

If as an RO, I observe you thumb the hammer down at "if clear, hammer down, holster," I have to start you back at "Unload and show clear" and run through the procedure again. You cannot use a decocker or thumb the hammer there. You must pull the trigger.

The CZ-75B, while double action, does not have a decocker. So the only way to get the hammer down over a live round is to thumb it down. There is an exception in the rules allowing you to use the trigger and thumb the hammer down for this particular reason. If the gun discharges at any time before the start signal, though, it is a match disqualification.

The CZ-75BD has a decocker, but is far more rare than the B model.

Last edited:

GhostofWinter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Lake Station-NW Indiana
    I was shooting on Sunday as well. I ended up on a different squad as well. I think next time we need to try and keep the groupof us together and see how bad I am compared to the others. ;) If you wanna see howI did take a look at:
    Results of the NPCCC IDPA match of June 20th, 2010

( I am shooting ESP unclassified and my name is Greg Dotson)

bob, I am planning on dropping in at the shop tomorrow morning to pick up a couple of cigars. Hope to see you there.

Greg

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    bob, I am planning on dropping in at the shop tomorrow morning to pick up a couple of cigars. Hope to see you there.

Greg
    I'll be in there LATE tomorrow morning. Not sure what time. I've got an early meeting and it could take a while so I won't be getting in there until after the meeting. If I am there when you are there I hope you have time to sit and smoke a cigar with me.

Top Bottom