4 year old w/ leg braces and deformed ankles? Remove them and walk alone says TSA

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Sounds like maybe a national boycott of flying is in order. One day of no passengers will really put the hurt on the airlines financially, and that will probably get the Fed's attention.

Even if there is an incident like this every day for a full year, in the TSA's mind that's a meer fraction of a fraction of a percent of the millions of people that fly each year. And if in that same year there are no airplanes brought down by "terrorists" they can claim success.

Unfortunately, we are all seeing that in reality the TSA is completely out of touch with reality. This is either a) a major leadership failure or b) willful disobedience of the employees at the checkpoints. Or, I guess both.

In any case, don't expect any real change soon. I'm sure at some point a top person at the TSA will be "fired" as a token move to hopefully appease the masses without really doing anything.

The more likely result of this in my opinion is that you will now be encouraged to arrive 3 hours before you flight rather than the 2 hours already recommended due to increased security measures.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I am really having a hard time putting into words how much I despise TSA. I had to rewrite this post several times and could not find the
    words.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    An old woman that was I talking with this morning said we were being conditioned.
    She was convinced that before she dies that people will expect to be treated like cattle. Not just when they fly - but that's where it starts.

This old gal didn't seem like the tin foil hat crowd at all. She reminded me of my maternal grandmother.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    They keep talking about using common sense. It is partly the blame of the MSM that we can't use common sense. They would be the first ones screaming about profiling if we used common sense.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    These are the same people who take finger nail clippers away from returning vets carrying their M16's. They are incapable of using common sense. Maybe that vet should have demonstrated on the TSA agent how a butt stroke from an M16 is much more dangerous than a pair of fingernail clippers.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    This is appaling at so many levels. It is an indication that the TSA is out of control. I ask myself why the parent submitted. They would take me to jail for refusing to remove my child's braces before I would submit to such lunacy and put his health at risk. I digress.

Having said that, this happened in February. Can't we find enough examples of an out of control TSA that have happened in the past 30 days? Or maybe six months? OK, nine months. Nearly year old stories don't advance the debate on how to fix an out of control yet powerful government agency (said fix being to eliminate it IMHO). They only serve to rile up people that were already riled up.

Transgressions have been proven. Now is the time to act. Not keep building the list of failures.

kevinj110

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 5, 2009
    home
    Being the father of a special needs child I can't tell you how I would react only that you would see it on the news. Its time we pulled their card.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    These are the same people who take finger nail clippers away from returning vets carrying their M16's. They are incapable of using common sense. Maybe that vet should have demonstrated on the TSA agent how a butt stroke from an M16 is much more dangerous than a pair of fingernail clippers.

I bet TSA thinks they've got the market cornered on butt strokes...since it's part of their pat-down training terminology and all.

(See what I did there?)

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I bet TSA thinks they've got the market cornered on butt strokes...since it's part of their pat-down training terminology and all.

(See what I did there?)

I can show you the difference Miss Smartypants!:D

ETA: I tried repping you but I can't yet.

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    I know there is a thread for this but seriously her braces? Ive gone through screening with 3 knives a file set and 9 lighters before in my carry on(accidentally) and they tell this poor kid to suck it up and walk? WTF?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    This is appaling at so many levels. It is an indication that the TSA is out of control. I ask myself why the parent submitted. They would take me to jail for refusing to remove my child's braces before I would submit to such lunacy and put his health at risk. I digress.

The news report says the family was going to Disney World. Being that the kid was/is 4 years old it was probably her first time. So as a parent who has already paid for the disney vacation, asked and gotten vacation approved and have probably been planning the disney trip to ensure that the kids remember the magical moments the last thing you want to do is have a delay or flight/miss the flight becuase of TSA and whatever dog & pony show they want you to do. As such suspect the majority of parents will do whatever the TSA says in order to get the family on the plane to see the mouse on time.

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun

EXACTLY!^^ This incident gives me the "I wish they would try it with me" attitude, just so I can make a huge scene.

What I want to know is why the airlines themselves and the lobbyists for the airlines aren't getting involved? In such a downed economy are the airlines really still raking it in? Are they making so much money that they haven't noticed the 1000's or 10,000's that aren't flying due to this kind of crap?

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Meanwhile, terrorists aeration Freetown roam about the country via the thousands of miles of pourous borders we absolutely refuse to do anything about. A terrorist could smuggle in a multitude of nuclear and biological weapons to bring this country to it's knees. And we're worried about a 4 year old cripple taking down a plane with a couple hundred passengers. If you stand back and take a good hard look, how can you not see that the true enemy to the state (in our governments eyes) is us, not those who really want to kill Americans?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    EXACTLY!^^ This incident gives me the "I wish they would try it with me" attitude, just so I can make a huge scene.

Would you be willing to make that scene with your family their as you wait to board a plane for teh family vacation? Knowing that by making the scene you are probably going to get arrested, miss the flight and most likely ruin the family vacation which you already paid for (a few thousands BTW when going to Disney)?

Most parents/people in that situtation can not afford to do that. & TSA knows is & thus why they can do whatever they like. They have you in their hands as there is no other "faster" way to travel right now that is economical for the public.

What I want to know is why the airlines themselves and the lobbyists for the airlines aren't getting involved? In such a downed economy are the airlines really still raking it in? Are they making so much money that they haven't noticed the 1000's or 10,000's that aren't flying due to this kind of crap?

It has not yet affected the airlines bottom line and it won't in the end.
    Not sure if it was this post or 1 of the other many TSA post we have but 80% of the travelers just "deal" with the nw regulations & do it anyways. Look at the video of the breast milk incident. The lady was held up for 45 mins on the video. Look at the # of people that passed by without notice or care to what her delay was about. The masses don't care. If it does not affect them they are OK with it.

Top Bottom