• ...and so much more!
  • pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Brian:
    I understand frustration over patchwork laws and the problems that they cause. That was the whole reason that the firearms preemption law was passed. The process was very public and reasonably transparent. Complaining about a law making our lives easier isn't very helpful.

The preemption law was largely successful, but not by magic. Some local governments complied immediately, but some did not. In some cases, it took the public to hold officials feet to the fire, pointing out to local administrators that they need to change their now illegal laws and at least a couple of cases involved forcing compliance via lawsuits. You can find examples of these in the "Legislation of the 2nd Amendment" forum. If you are aware of any remaining laws that violate preemption, then feel free to point them out and ask for help in getting them changed. We have INGOers who have convinced local governments to change and at least one lawyer (Guy Relford/INGO:TacticalFirearmsTraining) who has sued multiple jurisdictions to force compliance.

If a retailer follows a now obsolete restriction, then politely educating them is the best route to getting it fixed. It isn't an automatic thing.

It helps if you've read and can point to specific sections of the Indiana Code when talking to someone about Indiana law. You will see this done on INGO on a regular basis. If you haven't already read them, you can find the primary ones related to weapons at: https://iga.in.gov/legislative/laws/2014/ic/titles/035/articles/047/

Edit: I see that a conversation has occurred while I was composing this post. Still, I believe the info is useful.

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    Brian:
    I understand frustration over patchwork laws and the problems that they cause. That was the whole reason that the firearms preemption law was passed. The process was very public and reasonably transparent. Complaining about a law making our lives easier isn't very helpful.

The preemption law was largely successful, but not by magic. Some local governments complied immediately, but some did not. In some cases, it took the public to hold officials feet to the fire, pointing out to local administrators that they need to change their now illegal laws and at least a couple of cases involved forcing compliance via lawsuits. You can find examples of these in the "Legislation of the 2nd Amendment" forum. If you are aware of any remaining laws that violate preemption, then feel free to point them out and ask for help in getting them changed. We have INGOers who have convinced local governments to change and at least one lawyer (Guy Relford/INGO:TacticalFirearmsTraining) who has sued multiple jurisdictions to force compliance.

If a retailer follows a now obsolete restriction, then politely educating them is the best route to getting it fixed. It isn't an automatic thing.

I can see the retailers side... They would rather err on the side of caution, just to be safe. Trying to get it straightened out is like trying to put out a wild fire.

I understand your side of the preemption law. It is a good thing, and it was needed. A lot of different laws in every city/township and it is very hard to obey all the variable laws.

My take on the SB mag ban, was that I seen nothing about it mentioned in the newspaper, tv or the internet. I think something like that should have been more publicized. So they had to keep it under wraps. Which makes me feel it was passed under the table.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Well, the mainstream media is more interested in sensationalizing negative gun stories instead of educating the public on what is going on. If you want to keep up on what is going on with Indiana gun laws, INGOs Legislation of the 2nd Amendment is probably your best source. There is always something happening, though legislative changes take a lot of time to be enacted. That forum contains great info to become well educated on what is going on in general on the gun law front. If you look in the stickies at the top, you will find a couple of threads that will really educate you on what is going in specifically with state gun legislation and even how to provide some input.

The information is out there. Unfortunately, the mainstream media isn't a good source.

Roscoe38

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Sorry, for my delay in posting this. But I filed my paper and my money on (/15/14. However the a$$hat that is in charge of the Muncie police records department did not send it to the state 'till the 19th. That would be 5 days sitting in a basket on someone's desk. I received my permit 10/01/2014. Go figure....

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    You should should have tried about 2 years ago. The wait was 6 months plus. Your time real was realistic. Maybe not ideal but not unrealistic.

Top Bottom