• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    Okay, I'm looking for a good, reliable, .40 cal handgun for home defense purposes. Preferably within the $250-$500 range. I know that pretty much leaves only pre owned, so what would be some models to check into, or manufacturers? This gun would probably never leave home, so not carrying it, if that helps. Thanks in advance.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Actually you can get a new Gen3 Glock 23 at the high end of that range. You wont regret it. Problem solved. ;)

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    I agree with the Glock as stated above, but you might want to consider also the S&W SD40 too. Basically, it is an upgraded SIGMA series, but very reliable. I had a SIGMA in .40 a couple of years ago, and other than having a heavy trigger, the gun ran very strong for me.

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    I agree with the Glock as stated above, but you might want to consider also the S&W SD40 too. Basically, it is an upgraded SIGMA series, but very reliable. I had a SIGMA in .40 a couple of years ago, and other than having a heavy trigger, the gun ran very strong for me.

I've thought about the SD40, it is on the list of possible. Not much for glocks, though I've thought about them too. Again just mainly weighing options, I got a few months before I buy, so I want to do as much research as I can before the buy, along with plenty of coonfingering to see what I like best.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Don't forget the:
    cz p-07 or p-09
    Sig sp-2022
    Smith m&p
    beretta px4

all of those can be had right at about $500 or a bit less new and cheaper in very nice used condition, and they're all VERY good firearms.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have experience with only one .40cal handgun, but I think I've found the one I want.

A little hard to find, but in your price range (upper end of it). I found an IWI Magnum Research "Baby Eagle" in .40S&W.

It it my understanding that it is a knock-off of the CZ75. This may be, but I have not found the first thing I don't like about it.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    FWIW, my vote is Glock 23 or 27 + grip extension (depending on your hands).
    you could get either one for under $500.
    and maybe look for one with tritium night sights -
    I personally like those in a dark house at night.

nm0369

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Indy Southside
    You can easily get a LE trade-in Glock 22 w/ night sights for under $500. Condition and # of mags with dictate the price, but there are tons available. For home defense I don't see any reason to go with a sub-compact.

sliptap

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    All of the name brand pistols listed previously would suit your purpose just fine. Go to the LGS and handle a few to get a better idea of what you like. Everyone has different preferences and what we like is probably not going to be exactly right for you.

I picked up a used Gen 3 Glock 22 from a INGO member for $400 (with 3 mags). If you're looking to go the Glock route, I'd stick with a Glock 23. You can have the slightly smaller size to CC if you ever want to, but you can also use Glock 22 mags as a high capacity. I happened to already have a G27, so I could ignore my own advice haha.

Most importantly: post pics once you make your purchase :)

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    Thanks for all the replies, and info guys, definitely added several to the list I didn't have on it already.
    sliptap- that's the plan to hold as many as I can to see what fits. I'll definitely post pics once I buy.

tyler- I like tritium night sights too for dark houses, so its something that might heavily influence what I purchase.

Either way I'm hitting up the LGS's on Wednesday and Thursday to hold a few.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Go to the Indy1500. It's coming up at the end of the month. You'll be able to fondle different handguns until your heart is content.

Top Bottom