• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mvriley315

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2008
    Mooresville
    Does anyone have a recipe to duplicate the Gold Dot loading in 40 S&W? I have placed an order for a couple hundred Gold Dot bullets and I want to try to duplicate that load since that is what I have decided to carry. You know, practice with what you carry. Thanks for any suggestions!!

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I would definitely recommend referencing a Speer manual if using the Gold Dot. A current manual will have much data for all the Gold Dot weight's. Also, the manual will also give you safe OAL's with that aggressive style bullet profile.

One of the powders they list for top velocities is Blue Dot. While Blue Dot is (1) of of my powders of choice for another caliber or two, I would not suggest it in a caliber you are going to carry. While I found it to give great performance in the .40, it did throw out a huge flash. If I was still trying different loads in the .40, I would probably look toward Alliant's power pistol.

mvriley315

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2008
    Mooresville
    I would probably be wanting to use the 180gr bullet, possibly the 165, but most likely the 180gr. XtremeVel, you make a good point of flash. In keeping with as close as possible to the factory load, I would also want to keep the flash down. When I carry, I will be loaded with factory ammo, but I want to practice with my loads.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    If you want a low-flash powder try SR4756, No.7, Universal, in that order.

If you want big fireballs use No.5.

Top Bottom