• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • newbomb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    southwest indiana
    Howdy all, I'm getting ready to start my 40 hour in a couple weeks. I wanted to ask our local INGO LEOs if There is anything particular I should know before I start?

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    go in with an open mind and desire to learn. dont dismiss anything taught in the class if it is different than how you may aready do things.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Not taking anything away from 40 hour pre basic but do keep in mind that it is in fact very basic. After pre basic is where you really start learning the ins and outs of the job. Most people don't know but up until not so many years ago a person could be hired by a PD and depending on the PD could go right to work with no training at all. Pre basic was ILEA's answer/cure to that.

Pay attention and retain what you learn and you will pass with no problem. The final is not too hard. Good luck.

newbomb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    southwest indiana
    Thanks guys. This is actually for my 2nd job with a security company that is owned by Leos. My full time job is inspector/firefighter on a city department. I hope to get into fire investigation and the 40 hour is usually part of that.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Yup. Indiana is a staunch Second Amendment state. You are going to hear that more than once during your 40 hour!

Taylorz71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Central IN
    I say congrats and agree with everything above, keep and open mind and learn from it even if it is different than you expect. It will be basic, but you mind find you really like it and want to take more :) then you can do both

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    I'm guessing that since you'll be doing investigations, maybe they thought it is required to have some law enforcement training.

The 40 hour is a good introductory, especially with a great instructor. Ask LOTS of questions if you have them. It's the time to get stuff sorted out. Some of it won't make a ton of sense until you have to apply it to an actual situation. I've done mine twice... once as a reserve years ago and once just 4 months ago to get my cert until I go to the academy. It has to be TAUGHT now, and not just studied and tested like it used to be. I enjoyed the classroom experience.

Good luck!

Top Bottom