• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • donavonmaxwell

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2011
    :ar15:I have a .22 semi-auto(for my wife) a .380(for CCW) and a .38 Special(for my nightstand) I want to move up to a bigger gun for my home defense....Here is my question,and I need suggestions from all who care to help......Which would be better: a .40 cal(with 180 gr HP's) or a .45(with 230 gr HP's) I have heard about the "snap" of the .40 and,the more of an, "oohmp" recoil of a .45....Also,pricewise,is there really much of a difference between the two???
    Thank you,to the members and to INGO,for all the helpful info I have gotten off of here......... Donzo

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    :ar15:I have a .22 semi-auto(for my wife) a .380(for CCW) and a .38 Special(for my nightstand) I want to move up to a bigger gun for my home defense....Here is my question,and I need suggestions from all who care to help......Which would be better: a .40 cal(with 180 gr HP's) or a .45(with 230 gr HP's) I have heard about the "snap" of the .40 and,the more of an, "oohmp" recoil of a .45....Also,pricewise,is there really much of a difference between the two???
    Thank you,to the members and to INGO,for all the helpful info I have gotten off of here......... Donzo

Both are effective, but I've always been a bigger fan of the stopping power of the .45. It is a tough bullet to beat, particularly in JHP with +P loads.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Not much difference, performance wise. Many people don't seem to be able to handle the snap of a .40. I guess they don't practice too much. ;)

You get more rounds with the .40 for the same size firearm. The cost is a more snappy recoil. I personally like the .40 quite a bit.

I would recommend going to the range with someone who has both and trying several firearms.

PTA grad

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I like em both, I would recommend taking a look at G23 or 1911 totally different recoil feel between the two, size also plays into recoil and how it feels in a holster.

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Snap and push are about the best I've heard as a comparison between these two. I've shot .40 and never cared for the snap. The .45, on the other hand, is such a great and accurate round and in the 1911 platform, is an incredible package. My two cents.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I have both and prefer the .40 but they really are comparable when you look at the ballistics tables. The .40 has higher round cap, and is avail in much smaller packages but as with any caliber, the smaller the frame, the more felt recoil you will experience. I am also noticing a slight price/avail difference still with the .40 on the lower price end and more readily avail. than the .45......my 2 cents.

donavonmaxwell

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2011
    Thank you to all of you.....Here's another question:What about Hi-Points? Both the .40 and .45 weigh the same,cost the same,but the .40 can hold one more in the mag.....I really want a Hi-Point....Any suggestions? And,does anyone know of anybody that has one of the 2 for sale(used).....Again,thanx to all of you...... Donzo aka donavonmaxwell

Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    Find someone who has a beretta px4 in 40 cal and shoot it. Recoils like a 9mm. Also, I have a beretta 96 in 40 and it too feels like a niner. That said I love my S&W 4506 as well and am saving for a 1911 in 45 - preferrably springfield loaded:draw:

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Thank you to all of you.....Here's another question:What about Hi-Points? Both the .40 and .45 weigh the same,cost the same,but the .40 can hold one more in the mag.....I really want a Hi-Point....Any suggestions? And,does anyone know of anybody that has one of the 2 for sale(used).....Again,thanx to all of you...... Donzo aka donavonmaxwell

Hmm, friends don't let friends buy Hi points. I will probably get bashed for that :)
    I have seen Hi points run fine I would save up and buy something a little more expensive for SD not necessarily expensive but a little higher quality :twocents:

hodgej1843

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    SOUTH SIDE INDY
    GLOCK 30....the perfect carry weapon,nite stand weapon etc.....:popcorn:
    GLOCK30004.jpg

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU

For the 40, I like the 135 gr. HOLLOW-POINT, But I own more 45 than 40.

donavonmaxwell

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2011
    Hmm, friends don't let friends buy Hi points. I will probably get bashed for that :)
    I have seen Hi points run fine I would save up and buy something a little more expensive for SD not necessarily expensive but a little higher quality
    I shot a Hi-Point 1 time at the range,can't rember the cal.,but,I LOVED it....plus made in the U S A and lifetime warranty are a definite plus.....just my 2:twocents:!

Yukon227

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Henry County
    If you really want a Hi-point I say go for it. I had one and hated it...it refused to feed any ammo I tried in it. But on the 40/45 debate, I like 40...Ruger P91DC. But for shooting a lot of rounds look at a 9mm...way cheaper ammo.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    I have an XD40sc and a RIA1911 in 45acp. the 40 is snappy but it is my carry gun. My 1911 is big, heavy and difficult to carry. I love shooting both guns for different reasons. I have learned to be accurate with both guns(tip of the hat to ACT). I prefer to carry the 40 for the capacity and the weight as well as the concealability when I want it. The most important thing is to learn to be accurate. A big technologically advanced bullet doesn't make a difference if you can't hit the target.
    My advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

mikerccie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Indy - North Side
    I'm a fan of the .40 for SD purposes - but I subscribe to the "speed is better than diameter" school of thought. The recoil is a bit snappy in the .40 - if you don't shoot both side by side you may not ever notice the difference. The .40 feels "normal" for me.

I would recommend either a Glock 22 or Glock 23 depending on the size of you hands, provided you're comfortable with a gun that will go bang if you pull the trigger.

IUBrink

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    I love .45 compared to .40. To me shooting a .40 feels like swinging a metal bat full force at a tree, the resonance gives a sharp vibration. The recoil of the .45 had no sharpness at all, it was just like lifting your fist.

toyotaslave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    Princeton
    Had a Hi-point .45 for a while. Should have kept that thing. It's not a safe queen for sure and it's too bulky for carry, but once you convince yourself of the reliability with enough rounds down the pipe, it's an A+ house gun.

I have to add that it does shoot pretty smooth. Soft even for a .45. Maybe it's the weight?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom