• ...and so much more!
  • GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    I shoot and reload for my Glock 23C. I have noticed that I get leading in the barrel on exiting ends of the compensating ports. I have always had some with factory loads, but it is worse with my reloads.It seems to be stripping the jacket, leading the bore. It doesn't seem to matter what load I use. Here is what I am using:

All loads 180gr TMJ bullets. **Note** these are mil-surplus about 1/2 of the lot were pulled the other 1/2 new. Both checked @ ~.400
    All using 1.135" COL

4.2-4.5gr Titegroup
    3.0-3.3gr Clays
    6.5-7.3gr Longshot

Info on the gun:

3rd gen Glock 23C; purchased 2001; ~3k+ rounds through it; no obvious burrs on the ports.

Have any of you encountered this, or have any thoughts as to what may be causing this?

I would like a way to capture a few rounds to examine them after they've been shot. Does anyone know of a place that I could do this?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I am surprised that TMJ bullets are being shaved by the porting. About all you can do is to try another brand of jacketd bullets. I am sure there is differences in the hardness of the jackets.
    One of my Pistols is a factory ported .45. I shot it only one time before I fit an unported KART barrel and bushing. Not only is the KART barrel more accurate, it does not blow soot on the sight and dirt on my clothes. One of my O/U shotguns was sent to magnaport by the previous owner. That is the last ported shotgun that I buy for my own use.

Last edited:

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    I've thought about getting an aftermarket barrel for it, so I can shoot lead out of it. If I do get an aftermarket barrel, I think I'll get one that's threaded so I can add a supressor.

noylj

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2011
    I hear about this all the time. I must have 25 different compensated/ported guns and NONE of them lead in the barrel or the comp and all I shoot are LEAD bullets. As far as I can see, if you get leading from ports or comps, then there is something wrong with your comp or ports.
    Maybe you should consider REAL jacketed bullets from Montana Gold and buying a case or two rather than plated bullets? Damn things in MY experience aren't worth buying and are VERY easily damaged.
    Maybe you need to have your ports checked for burrs that are damaging the bullets?

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    Here are a couple of pics that may help. The barrel is clean now (thanks to Andrew @ Profire and his utrasonic cleaner.) There is no leading before the ports, only in the grooves that run through them. The bullets I've been using are jacketed not plated, so said the website I ordered them from.

picture.php

picture.php

Top Bottom