• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I was just browsing the Indiana eregulations website and found this "A new state law also legalizes a handgun that fires the 10mm Auto and 40 Smith & Wesson cartridge" retrieved from here. I did some reading around the internet and found quite a few posts from people who had successfully harvested a deer with a 40 and lots of uneducated "not a powerful enough round etc..." It seemed highway patrolmen rank high on the list of 40S&W users who have killed deer with their sidearm. I read quite a few success stories from people using the 40 on deer at bow ranges. I did not find anyone who admitted to losing an animal after shooting it with a 40, but honestly how many people would own up to it. I plan on using my .50 Beowulf this year so my p09 in 40 will probably stay at home, but I can't help but think what a challenge it would be to harvest a deer with a 40sw.... It is pretty standard operation to shoot 3 and 4 inch groups at 20 yards with the 09 at the range, but I've never tried while sitting. I do not reload and I rely (maybe mistakingly) on hornady's website for information on the ammo I shoot. They list their 40SW American Gunner ammunition, which is my go to when not shooting cheap, as a round capable of medium game.

The pistol law requires a 4" barrel so that eliminates a lot of the compact autos out there. But there are some real semi auto tack drivers out there in 40SW like the P09, G35, and Beretta 96 that are more than capable of holding 6 inch patterns at 25 yards in the right hands.

So when it comes to hunting with a 40SW during the 2017 deer season...
    Would you do it? Have you done it? What round would you use, if you were going to use it?

Like I said I'm going to stick with my Beowulf this year. I lost my private hunting land spot and I have been turned away at every door I've knocked on this year so my 300blk will have sit this season out. I do think it would be a real challenge to harvest a deer with a pistol I carry frequently tho.

saintnick81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Bedford
    I can't speak to .40 but my brother took a buck and a doe with a Glock 40 10mm mos w/ burris fastfire 3 last year. Both were in the 25 yard range and neither ran more than 50 yards.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Deer are tough critters but not necessarily tougher than people. While handgun cartridges aren't very good at stopping either, if you put one where it counts they'll do just fine. Been a lot of folks who didn't fare too well against that round.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Winchester 1892 firing the 38-40 will do fine within it's range, that's my 40 caliber. 180 grain cast lead slug on 8 grains of Unique. It's fun to hunt with rifles over 100 years old, just like great granddaddy.

Last edited:

Dwight D

Marksman
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Both IN and FL
    Take a look at the DOUBLETAP line of ammo. As far as I know they are the only company that makes the original 10mm load developed between Colonel Jeff Cooper and Nosler, which was a 200 gr Nosler JHP at 1250 FPS from a 5 inch barrel. Very impressive and very close ballistically to a 41 magnum. The Nosler is not a real fast expander so one may want to opt to shoot for the shoulder blade rather then behind it. DOUBLETAP also makes the same load essentially for the 40SW albeit the muzzle velocity is only 1050 fps, however this is still plenty if ranges are kept reasonable. I have also noticed a 180 gr JHP load they make with Uncle Ted's pic on it, but could not find a muzzle velocity listed. I would guess it probably runs around 1050-1100 fps, and they use the Sierra JHP which expands faster then the Nosler load. If I was hunting deer only that load would get a serious look from me. However if I wanted a good all around load for deer, hogs, bear defense, and personal defense I would stick with the 200 gr Nosler. I carry/shoot a G20 in 10mm and the DOUBLETAP 200gr Nosler JHP at 1250 FPS is my everyday carry/and hunting load, but I recently moved from IN to N Florida and have hogs and bears around where I live. Anyway any good 40 cal 180-200 JHP over 1000 fps that functions and is accurate in your gun is a good choice for whitetail shot at reasonable range.

DoubleTap Ammunition

Top Bottom