• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • silent 50 cal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    hi im thinking about buying a 357 H&R handy rifle and haveing it converted to 44-357 so then i will have a blackhawk revolver and rifle matching, as this is a old round and not real popular, just something i enjoy shooting.
    my blackhawk has been a good ground hawg gun the rifle would give me some extended range...any thoughts...

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Do you mean .357-.44 Ban and Davis? If you already have a revolver and reloading dies, then I say go for it.

However, check with Bullberry Bullberry Thompson/Center Contender & G2 Barrels they list that cartridge for their barrels and it might be easier to go that route with a Contender or Encore frame than to find someone to covert a H&R... chamber reaming and swapping extractors.

Notice I said easier, not less expensive. A Bullberry barrel will run you ~$500, plus the frame...

BTW, if you are going to buy a T/C frame, get a "pistol" frame/grip and then buy a rifle stock. Then you can swap back and forth between pistol and rifle configurations. If you buy a "rifle" frame you can never use it as a pistol.

NOTE: Don't buy the rifle stock until AFTER you have a rifle barrel (16" +) in your possession, if you buy the stock before the barrel you will have an illegal SBR (shor barreled rifle) by "constructive possession".

NOTE: NEVER assemble a short barrel rifle! Detatch the rifle stock BEFORE putting a pistol barrel on the frame.

It's a dumb law, but there you go.

silent 50 cal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    oops sorry for the slip yes its 357-44 i do have the dies and have loaded for my revolver for several yrs now, i also have several H&R,s and all have seemed to shoot well i have been in touch with bain and davis and reaming cost is small $125 to have this done and my cost for the H$R is under $200 the extractor from H&R is $10..

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Sounds cool!

One thing... you might ask if his chamber reamer will allow you to use the 180gr Hornady SSP bullet or the 200gr FTX (it's .358" but people have been using them successfully in rifles rechambered to .357 Max). This will improve your ballistic coefficient a bit over the 180gr XTP. The 180gr SSP is designed for the .35 Rem handgun and would do very well at B&D velocities. The 200gr FTX is for .35 Rem rifle velocities and Hornady told me it is designed to expand work down to 1600fps, so YMMV.

I want one at that price! I also should have bought the first .45 Colt carbine I saw at $199.

Top Bottom