• ...and so much more!
  • sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I was talking to someone today about 44 mag hunting loads. He had been shooting the 225 gr FTX bullets. A guy told him about 180gr. jsp from Remington. I was able to find out that they are the UMC loads but not for sure. I was just curious if anyone knows who makes those bullets. I am interested in making up some to try on deer. Based on what I heard today they group better than the FTX and do unbelievable damage on deer.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Remington still sells pistol bullets, That bullet is a Limited Production bullet.
    If you googlefu around you might find some for sale.
    Sierra also offers almost the exact same bullet. I think they call it a Match Master bullet. Those would be much easier to find.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I have not shot a deer with that round, but it is the most accurate factory ammo I have come across in my sons Rossi handi rifle. It is also pretty famous for making a lot of noise and flash in handguns. Im not saying it woldnt work, but it is kinda light compared to most 44 loads, might not give the best ballistics at longer ranges in that caliber. The lighter bullet would likely loose velocity much faster than the standard 240 gr bullets in the 44 Mag

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    As the owner of 2 rossi's in 44 mag one a 20" and the other a 24" barrel. I have found the 180 grain bullets won't hold a good grouping, i stick with 240 grain or heavier. my reloads are with .430 bullets as they hold better than .429. have had excellent luck with the prvi 300 grain factory loads also.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    As the owner of 2 rossi's in 44 mag one a 20" and the other a 24" barrel. I have found the 180 grain bullets won't hold a good grouping, i stick with 240 grain or heavier. my reloads are with .430 bullets as they hold better than .429. have had excellent luck with the prvi 300 grain factory loads also.
    That is exactly what I have found to be true with my lever gun (also a Rossi), but the handi rifle never did group anything very well. I tinkered with it, eventually recrowned the barrel, and now it will stack the 180's on top of each other out to about 75 yards. My rifle doesnt shoot these well at all. Its favorite load is a 300gr XTP on top of a max load of H-110.

Dwight D

Marksman
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Both IN and FL
    I have killed over 20 deer with Rem 180 gr JHP out of a Ruger Super Blackhawk with a 7.5 inch barrel. I used to reload it myself with a stiff charge of H110. MV out of that gun was right at 1600 fps. It was a great round, with good expansion and penetration. Occasionally on a close hit there would be some jacket separation, however the core stayed together. It runs quite a bit faster out of a rifle and I have my reservations about that. Typically I have found in a rifle the WW 240 gr JSP "white box" load seems to shoot more accurately then the Rem 180 gr JHP load. In a Marlin 1894 I clocked the WW 240 gr at a little over 1900 fps. Quite a few of my family members use the 240 gr load and I have seen a lot of deer killed with it. It is very good, accurate, good penetration and expansion.

Top Bottom