• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    350 yards running full speed...All I did was yell "here dear"...elevated the gun to approx45 degrees, checked to make sure it was not to windy and fired!! It was amazing, by the way does anyone want to buy a bridge...I have one for sale!

How much for that bridge??? Can we do a FTF today??? :D

IndianaSlim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Muzzleloaders do have much better range than a 1894, but where I hunt is in the woods and rarely have had a shot over 100 yards. I will say that the most important thing in taking a deer humanely is in the shot placement and not so much the round in my opinion. There are a lot of bullets that placed correctly will kill a deer quickly. Also I grew up with my Dad's 30-30 Marlin lever in the closet and loved shooting it whenever I had the chance, so there is some sentimental stuff going for me too.

I see where you're coming from with the sentimental value. I have a model 12 my grandpa handed down to me and it goes with me to the duck/goose blind at least a few times a year usually on the hunts where I know there is limited chance of hurting the gun and a pretty good chance of some shooting. I was just giving my opinion, that's all. While I definately agree with proper bullet placement, I would take a Peterbilt over a Volkswagon every time!

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    I know for a fact my muzzleloader is good to 200+ yards if needed and I don't know of a legal rifle that is (maybe a 500, but it falls off fast).

Here's the ballistics on a DNR legal cartridge.

Its "good" to a bit more than 200 yards if you're up to the shot.

358BFG200gHornady.jpg

IndianaSlim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Here's the ballistics on a DNR legal cartridge.

Its "good" to a bit more than 200 yards if you're up to the shot.

Ok Ok, what I should have said was "I don't know of a COMMON legal rifle cartridge that's good to 200 yards" I was aware of the 358 BFG and actually have a 458 socom upper on order (fingers crossed). My mistake. For the record though, that still doesn't make my muzzleloader any less cool!!!! :D I will admit though that someone proved me wrong AGAIN!

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    I have not read all of the post here but, I've been told from a realible source that lever action 30-30 will probably be legal this fall for deer hunting. So there will probalby be alot of 44's for sale this fall

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    I have not read all of the post here but, I've been told from a realible source that lever action 30-30 will probably be legal this fall for deer hunting. So there will probalby be alot of 44's for sale this fall

Not mine. I am considering selling my shotgun as I really don't have a use for it now. Plus I've been wanting a 30-30 anyway. Need the funds to purchase one though.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I am surprised no one has mentioned the H&R Handi-Rifle in .44 mag. close to half the price of a marlin and very accurate. Saying that, I use a 16" stainless marlin in .45LC:D

GunnSlinger

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    I use a Winchester 94 Trapper Carbine with 16" barrel, and a Ruger SuperBlackhawk both in 44 mag. The 94 has 6 deer to its credit including last years 11 point. Accurate at 100 yds never tried anything more.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I know this thread is about the .44 magnum, but what are the opinions about the .357 magnum in a carbine? I picked up a .357 Marlin 1894 mainly for plinking, but I do plan on hunting deer with it this fall. Very accurate out to 50 yards, but I have not tried it at further ranges yet. I am guessing it will be a good 75 yard deer gun and should be easier to place shots compared to the shotgun.

crmguns

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Sullivan
    i have a marlin 1894 44 mag and i love it. I bought some hornady lever revalution 225 grn. and i cant wate to see what they will do to a deer. they are a wicked powerfull round

willforu1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    I really like the Marlin 45/70 guide gun. It has a real short barrel that wont get caught up in branches as you walk through the woods and you can manuever it to point and shoot. I'm gonna get one for hog hunting. Real good for a charging game.

61482zane

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    BFE
    all I can say is get a savage 10ml2 muzzle loader and use vitavorie (dont know how to spell it) powder and hornada xtp's .I have had every muzzle loader there is and this dam savage is amazing!!! If u wana put one down in a hurry a long way out its the only way to go.:rockwoot:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I really like the Marlin 45/70 guide gun. It has a real short barrel that wont get caught up in branches as you walk through the woods and you can manuever it to point and shoot. I'm gonna get one for hog hunting. Real good for a charging game.

45/70 is not a legal calibre for deer in Indiana

jimd46902

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Kokomo
    I did well with a Marlin .357... two deer and the longest recovery was 20 yards. I am working up a new 180 gr 1800 fps load verses the 158 gr 1300 fps last season. I hope to get instant kills with this.... you should be able to do the same with a .44 mag.

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    I think the 44 mag is pleanty good for deer up to 125 yards or so. And most guns will shoot pleanty well to kill a deer at that range. Althout everyone likes an accurate gun, I'd say accuracy is not an issue hunting with the 44 mag. If your shots are 125yds or closer, you only need like 4 moa to make a clean kill.

Top Bottom