• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joseywales7450

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Carmel
    Just curious to hear from everyone who hunts with a .44 magnum rifle on what round they shoot. I have been hunting with the hornady leverevolution round and shot a button buck 3 years ago that ran 40 yards then dropped dead.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    you can search threads and see my stories about how well the Lever evolution has worked for me

I've shot it in a couple levers and now in a ruger 77/44,

The 44 is a solid performer and the factory ammo out there is as good as its ever been, (US manuf. hunting ammo)

No matter what it's shot placement when it comes to bagging your game, More rounds down the pipe is better than buying ammo that costs 2 times as much

tyrajam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Fishers
    240gr XTP, I've shot 2 bucks with it, both double lunged, both between 75-90 yards. Both ran at least 200 yards but left a good blood trail, one pass through and one stayed in the body. Not real happy with the long tracking job, but it worked!

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Only deer I shot with .44 rifle, was with 236 gr Norma factory stuff from late 70's. 1966 Ruger auto-sporter.

Think it a bit warmer than the .240 Hornady "custom" ammo I tried in my 2008 Marlin 1894.

I've taken a few with wheelguns, 180,200,240 and 255 gr loads, loaded as hot as I could get 'em.

Little hole in, and out, most times. Fun, and it works, but not the blow the lungs all over the trees in the background stuff I've read so much about on the web.

Guess I suck, or shoot armor plated deer ;)

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    I shot one deer with a single shot 44 mag rifle using 225 grain Leverevolution ammo. It was at around 35-40 yards away and it was slightly quartering in. I hit it through the heart and it dropped right there. However, when I processed the deer i found the bullet. I wasn't real impressed with the penetratrion. In the future I'll use 240 semi jacketed flat point or 300 grain bullets. I really prefer to have an exit wound and be able to take shoulder shots without worrying about penetration.

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    I have alwas shot Federal American Eagle 240gr JHP from day one. It is what I sighted in with and am confident with. I have shot deer 20 yards away out to 90 yards away. All have dropped within 20 yards from point of impact. Only one took more than one round. To me, it is shot placement. I try to shoot through the front shoulder to the heart/lungs. Most have dropped on the spot and did not get up. The one that took more than one was because I shot too high and forward, got the high lower part of the neck which it got back up after 15 minutes.

Federal is probably one of the least expensive but it works for me. I believe that within 75 yards, there is very little difference. It really depends on your shooting ability. Maybe out to 150 yards, there is a difference but whre I hunt, I doubt that I will get that opportunity.

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    I will be using a 77/44 stoked with 26 gr. Lil' Gun and a 240 XTP.
    This will be my first year using this gun and I can't wait for gun season....but I will. lol

kyron4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    My daughter has shot 3 deer in 3 years with a Rossi single shot .44 mag useing Win. "white box" 240gr. JSP. From 25-80yds. all dropped in there tracks.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I have alwas shot Federal American Eagle 240gr JHP from day one. It is what I sighted in with and am confident with. I have shot deer 20 yards away out to 90 yards away. All have dropped within 20 yards from point of impact. Only one took more than one round. To me, it is shot placement. I try to shoot through the front shoulder to the heart/lungs. Most have dropped on the spot and did not get up. The one that took more than one was because I shot too high and forward, got the high lower part of the neck which it got back up after 15 minutes.

Federal is probably one of the least expensive but it works for me. I believe that within 75 yards, there is very little difference. It really depends on your shooting ability. Maybe out to 150 yards, there is a difference but whre I hunt, I doubt that I will get that opportunity.

You mean they didn't all drop in their tracks when using a .44 MAGNUM????

Say it aint so!!!!!!!!!

(FWIW I too break the shoulder) ;)

kyron4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    How does the HP hold up when it hits bone ? I have always been told the HP loads over expand and lack penetration when fired from a rifle, giving it higher velocity and one should stick with JSP in a rifle. Not sure if there is any truth to this, but I know the JSP have work for me.

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    All my JHP went through so never recovered a bullet with a 44 mag.

If i shot into the shoulder, the deer dropped on the spot and seemed to die almost immediately. The one that I shot in the lower neck dropped but got back up 10 mins later. Pretty odd to me but i followed up with one more shot and it was over.

I also thought that anything should drop from a 44 even if you only took off a whisker. Lol!

I hunt back in PA as well and have seen deer run a couple hundred yards after being shot by a 30 06.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    HP's seem to zip right through.
    Only had 2 bullets not exit-

Shot a big doe coming at me, from a stand, that hot 180 hit the spine angling down and came apart (as did her spine).

Another deer was downed with a shotgun, went up and hit him with a 240XTP through both shoulderblades at spittin' distance. Bullet found under hide on far side, lost about 40% of its weight IIRC.

Same bullet out a ways, or from MZ's.............zipped right through on other deer.

Last edited:

Carp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    240 XTP yields much better groups than Lever Revolution through both mine and a buddy's 2 Ruger 77/44s. I recall reading that somewhere else as well. That said, you need to test through individual equipment. The XTP worked well on 2 bucks for my buddy the last couple of years.

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I too handload my 44 magnum ammo and make my loads over H110. I would choose a load that was consistent (precise), on the gun forums the word "accurate" is used, the correct term is "precise" to convey that they performance is consistent giving a tight group. A fairly well placed 44 magnum will produce quick and humane kills on a white tailed deer. I use 240 gr. XTP HP as do others, but I also have 200 gr. HPs too. Both have produce very similar precision in my lever rifle.

Top Bottom