• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Varmint Killer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2015
    Brazil
    Just bought a 23 inch barrel for my Contender in .44mag. Been using Barnes Vor-Tx 225gr XPB ammo in my 14 inch with good results on whitetails. Anybody see any reason this ammo won't be fine in the new barrel. Is there something better (I do not handload.)? Shots will be less than 100 yards. Opinions welcome.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    You will be hard pressed to find a projectile that does any better on deer than the barnes you currently shoot. They are devastating, plain and simple. I shoulder shoot them, and they fall. No running off, no tracking, no nothing. Every recovered bullet looks just like the one on the box-perfectly opened, sharp edges, etc.

Steelworker

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Allen County
    Every barrel will shoot differently. If you reload your own, then you can fine tune it for your barrel. Otherwise, you will just have to try different brands of factory ammunition, until you find the one that works best.

vernw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2015
    Dallas now born Indy
    I love Barnes for deer Bullets, they're all I use in my IN 35's.

You might look look at the Leverevolution 225 Ammo was well. I get 2700 fps in a 20" barreled Encore use the Hornady Leverevolution factory 460 S&W ammo. The Leverevolution is all I use in our 44 mag revolvers for deer as well. Beats my old 240 XTP reloads, too

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I find the Hornady LeverEvolution ammo to be "warm at best".

I'd shoot whatever the gun tolerated, Winchester or Remington, PMC..............whatever you can get at a good price, 240gr JHP.
    Reloading? 240's cranked to max :)

Still have a couple boxes of Norma 236gr JHP............for my dad's .44 Ruger fingergroove.

Yote7mmSlayer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    Barnes are good bullets and you'll be getting better velocity and better bullet performance on game due to the higher velocity with the longer barrel

Top Bottom