• billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    This is true BUT---

A Lee Kit and 4-die set will run about $125-$140.

On sale now. Lee Challenger Breech Lock Single Stage Press Kit - MidwayUSA I would get this kit over the Anniversary kit.

There are a few less expensive options, though.

If the OP has the idea of loading multi cal. rifle+pistol, I would be hesitant of investing too heavy into Lee products?

IMO most people who start with Lee products, and expand their hand loading operation, switch over to the "Green" or the "Blue" brands of tools, for a higher standard of quality.:dunno:

OK--Lee People--Let the Flame begin...:ar15: Bill...:banana::bacondance::banana:

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I'll check that stuff out, I would think that after I got used to it I would want to do more than the one round. I have several different calibers that I shoot so it would be nice. Does the Lee set not work out well for multiple calibers? Thanks,

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Orange, Green, Red or Blue - single stage reloading isn't exactly rocket science or hard on equipment. Getting a quality progressive setup from the "other colors" starts at around four times the price of a Lee kit. Dropping $100 on an introduction to reloading is pretty much nothing in the grand scheme of things - especially when some of the other brands can charge that much for a powder measure. While I'm a Lee fan in general, my agreement in recommending the Challenger kit is based solely on the OP's stated desire to start cheap. If he wanted to load large amounts in multiple calibers, I would've made a different recommendation.

Edit: Additions:

And he's back, with exactly that situation. Probably start looking at auto indexing turret setups if you plan on loading more than a couple hundred rounds a month.

The biggest drawback to a single stage setup with multiple calibers is that constant switching of dies. Lee Breech Lock bushings run about $3 each, so it adds to the cost for each caliber - anywhere from $6 to $12 per caliber. Turret presses allow you to install the dies in the turret and change the entire assembly - at around the same cost per caliber.

There are no unique failings of Lee products related to multiple calibers. The same limitations exist virtually everywhere.

Last edited:

LAZY DOG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2009
    I wonder how much could I get into reloading for? I would be starting from scratch and it would have to on the cheaper side. Any suggestions?
    lee makes a table top load set were you use a hammer insted of a press that is complete for around 30 d0llars . lee is just a gate way to get started the other equipment that is mentioned in other posts is far superior but if you dont want to invest alot lee is were you want to start

Last edited:

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    OK--Lee People--Let the Flame begin...:ar15: Bill...:banana::bacondance::banana:

If I could have recommended *any* press then I would have said Lee Classic Turret. It's a press you can't outgrow, and now that I have one I'll never have the desire to own another "single stage" press. And I still only batch load on my Lee Classic Turret, I have a LoadMaster for when I want to go faster.

Add a Lee AutoPrime, Shell Holder kit, Perfect Powder Measure, a $25 digital 0.001g scale, 4-die set, 6" calipers from Harbor Freight, and you're off to the races for ~$200 for one pistol caliber... and you'll have a press you'll love forever.

Get few case prep tools (Lee handheld trimmer, a primer pocket cleaner, a chamfer tool, Lee case lube), a rifle die set, and another turret and start loading rifle for another $50.

desmodue

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    Peru, IN
    Loading your own ammo is almost as much fun as shooting. Don't be intimidated, just ask lots of questions, buy a couple of good loading guides, and be conservative on your charge weights.

The use of .44 Special loads in .44 Magnum guns or .38 Special in .357 Magnum guns always brings conversation about the shorter cases causing a ring, or erosion of the cylinder chambers. Some say it's a big problem, others say it's really not a problem unless you shoot a lot of Specials through a Magnum.

Loading your own ammo solves that issue. I shoot .38 Special loads and .357 Magnum loads through my Model 19 S&W .357 Magnum revolver. But I only use .357 brass. To avoid confusion, I load Winchester .357 cases using .38 Special load tables and Remington cases using .357 load tables. I select a powder that doesn't leave a lot of empty space in the case.

I don't see any reason why the same couldn't be done with .44 Special/.44 Magnum.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    I load and shoot 44mag. I use my rifle for hunting deer and I believe in practicing with what you hunt with. I like Hornady XTP bullets. And they are about as inexpensive as as FMJ. I have never shot 44specials. I have been very impressed with Hornady products for quite a while. Seems to be a lot more accurate and consistent than other brands...just my experience.

Top Bottom