• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    Even if I was to want reduced loads, I'd go with something that gobbles up case capacity.
    Yes, less loads per #..............but hard to throw a double and have an oops.

trail boss is excellent for filling cases in many calibers......

It gives me excellent accuracy in my S&W 500....

to prevent "double charges" or "no powder charges" ......

I watch what I'm doin.......and I never ever trust my

press to powder measure without ME...........:)

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    trail boss is excellent for filling cases in many calibers......

It gives me excellent accuracy in my S&W 500....

to prevent "double charges" or "no powder charges" ......

I watch what I'm doin.......and I never ever trust my

press to powder measure without ME...........:)

I've been wanting to get some trail boss. I hear it meters like 800x or is it not that bad?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Trail Boss has it's place, I use it in light 45 Colt loads. Like open well said it's handy to prevent double charges.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    I've been wanting to get some trail boss. I hear it meters like 800x or is it not that bad?

trail boss looks like mini-twist prezels and meters through my RCBS Uniflow powder measures accuately.

it's rather light......... I bought 9 oz which fills a regular 16oz bottle @Indiana gun club for $16 Mar. 2020

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Deadman's Hollow
    e4e7a053cb7b9312e0791d4e86b6f585.jpg

I have a ton of Win 231, this is what I’ve been using for 44 magnum fun loads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    trail boss looks like mini-twist prezels and meters through my RCBS Uniflow powder measures accuately.

it's rather light......... I bought 9 oz which fills a regular 16oz bottle @Indiana gun club for $16 Mar. 2020

Thanks what I wanted to know. I'll have to grab some for the 45lc.

mr_camera_man

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Lake co.
    To follow up - just went to the range with 2 different loads under 240 LSWC to try. I found a recommendation elsewhere to try 11.5gr, which felt almost pleasant. Not much more stout than 10mm out of a G20, but definitely more than .44 spl.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=553192

I then tried Clay Pigeon's recommendation of 14.5, and this definitely let you know it was a magnum load. Far from uncontrollable, but a double-tap would be challenging. I'd consider this to be about the most that I'd want to hold onto if I was using it for defense against 2-legged critters... at least until I get more range time and more accustomed to this beast.

Both were smoky, and I think that means I need significantly more crimp, so it's time to dial in my dies a bit. At least this will Git 'Er Done until I can find some Blue Dot or Unique on the shelf. Thanks everybody for the recommendations!

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    To follow up - just went to the range with 2 different loads under 240 LSWC to try. I found a recommendation elsewhere to try 11.5gr, which felt almost pleasant. Not much more stout than 10mm out of a G20, but definitely more than .44 spl.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=553192

I then tried Clay Pigeon's recommendation of 14.5, and this definitely let you know it was a magnum load. Far from uncontrollable, but a double-tap would be challenging. I'd consider this to be about the most that I'd want to hold onto if I was using it for defense against 2-legged critters... at least until I get more range time and more accustomed to this beast.

Both were smoky, and I think that means I need significantly more crimp, so it's time to dial in my dies a bit. At least this will Git 'Er Done until I can find some Blue Dot or Unique on the shelf. Thanks everybody for the recommendations!

The bullets you 1st mentioned were 240gr XTPs, but now you say you loaded LSWC. Lead and jacketed bullet data is not interchangeable.

Secondly, AA#7 is similar to Blue Dot. If you have AA#7, no real need for Blue Dot. Unique may be a good choice, but not sure if you are loading XTPs or LSWC.

Last edited:

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    The bullets you 1st mentioned were 240gr XTPs, but now you say you loaded LSWC. Lead and jacketed bullet data is not interchangeable.

Secondly, AA#7 is similar to Blue Dot. If you have AA#&, no real need for Blue Dot. Unique may be a good choice, but Not sure if you are loading XTPs or LSWC.

I will add that Elmer Keiths 44 Mag loads with a 220-240 grain cast with a compressed load of 2400 under it. They were flying 14 to 1500 fps....

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I will add that Elmer Keiths 44 Mag loads with a 220-240 grain cast with a compressed load of 2400 under it. They were flying 14 to 1500 fps....

I've been told that a hard cast bullet BHN 16 and polymer coated that seals good in your barrel will not lead at upto 1600 fps. I've shot 180gr BHN 16 coated bullets in my 44mag that are running 1767 fps avg I'm not seeing any excessive leading.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I've been told that a hard cast bullet BHN 16 and polymer coated that seals good in your barrel will not lead at upto 1600 fps. I've shot 180gr BHN 16 coated bullets in my 44mag that are running 1767 fps avg I'm not seeing any excessive leading.

Bullet sizing and what lube is used tends to give better results than a hard bullet, I tent to cast with 20-1 lead tin with my bullets, And with pistol bullets I just mix range pickups,
    Melt, clean and cast.....

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville

I have pushed 20-1 and 30-1 lead tin bullets over 2,000fps with good lube grooves and SPG bullet lube.
    Sizing and the correct lube are the most important.

Top Bottom