• Best .44 Magnum Rifle

• Total voters

redgreenrider

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Decatur county
    :dunno: I've got an itch and the only relief will be a new to me rifle. Decisions decisions! So far I've narrowed it down to a . 44 magnum.
    I'll mostly be plinking, but want something I can [STRIKE]squirrel[/STRIKE] I mean deer hunt with in Indiana also. I've looked at 1892s, 1894s, and and a few others. Both lever action and bolt action rifles look appealing. I just want something that's accurate and smooth cycling. Also, I am a lefty. I'm not necessarily asking for a lefty rifle. Just something that won't throw shells in my face. I'm also leaning towards peep sights instead of a scope, but not dead set yet.
    Any opinions would be appreciated.
    :dunno:

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    DeerRifle.jpg

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    I'm a lefty and own a Rossi 44 mag, and have owned Marlins in the past. Neither present any problems with brass in face. Lever guns in general are very southpaw friendly.

PS... The Rossi carbines have a somewhat short buttstock, if you have long arms they can feel like a youth model when shouldered. This is easily remedied with a recoil pad or buttcuff pad to add LOP. The Rossi rifles have a bit longer buttstock.

rotortech

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I don't know if it's the best 44 magnum rifle but it was the best for me. I got a CVA Scout for deer hunting last fall.
    IMG_5592.jpg

Absolutely simple, built like a tank and the most ambidextrous rifle you can imagine. The break action may not be what you want though.

lazarus0213

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   1
    Jan 29, 2010
    Eden
    go with the ruger! great gun, dead nuts and if you wanna make the thing:mallninja: quite you can thread it and shoot 44 specials! thats my :twocents:

Mad Dog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    White Co.
    I don't know if it's the best 44 magnum rifle but it was the best for me. I got a CVA Scout for deer hunting last fall.
    IMG_5592.jpg

Absolutely simple, built like a tank and the most ambidextrous rifle you can imagine. The break action may not be what you want though.

+1. Have hunted with it the last 2 yrs. 3 shots, 3 dead deer.

Mad Dog

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I have seen the other single shots listed, but my vote goes to the T/C Encore. They are more expensive and probably no more accurate than the H&R or CVA, but I have drunk the T/C koolaid.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    You can find Winchester 94's in .44 mag.
    I too like old Rugers.
    A #3 would be cool (with #1 wood)...........too bad they never made the #1 in .44 mag :(
    Not lever guns, but falling block.......so maybe that gets them a bye ;)

I took a deer with my dad's old .44 auto (sporter model- no barrel band).
    The old autos were not for lead, so they say. I used Norma factory 236gr JHP loads from way back............. BOOM! Click clack twack (yup just whistle through). Kills stuff dead though.

I had a Marlin .44, it shot well, never had a problem with it. But with the Ruger auto available, and older/cooler (IMHO) I just couldn't see having two .44 mag rifles, esp since I want a Ruger #1 re barreled for .35 Rem.

Top Bottom