• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bbarker

Marksman
    Rating - 97.7%
    42   1   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    SE Indiana
    I am new here but I wanted to ask if anyone had any recommendations on a .44 magnum rifle. Primary use will be for deer hunting and plinking. I have been looking at the Marlin 1894 and Ruger M77/44. I have seen in my research that a lot of people use the Rossi Puma 92's as well. What do most people think about the rifle twist and the heavier bullets.

I have also considered a .357 mag as well for the ability to shoot 38's too. I realize the limitiations of the gun for hunting situations though, just like the .44 mag. For any distance at all, I have a T/C Muzzleloader. This new rifle will be for more plinking and short distance shooting in tight woods and brush.

Any comments are appreciated. Thanks,

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    I was told yesterday that Marlin guns have had soem quality issues since Remington bought them out, many returns for factory repair.

Puma - Well I would pass as it was near the same price as the Marlin but now...who knows.

For my money, it would be a Henry.

These comments are for Lever action rifles.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    There is only one real answer here for a 44 or 357 carbine- Marlin all the way. Highly reliable, reasonably accurate, side ejecting and factory drilled and tapped. I've got a 357 and 44 in the 1894.

The Marlin 44 twist doesn't lend itself to really heavy bullets. Then again, it can't chamber the really heavy bullets. My stainless 1894 shoots 225 and 240gr very nicely with about 3" groups at 100. Mine prefers cast lead handloads over factory jacketed loads. Take a look at the ballistics on the 240 grainers out of a carbine and I think you'll find that its plenty for about any purpose.

Regarding the 357, in a carbine it becomes a whole different animal than it is in a handgun. I have a 140gr load that duplicates factory 30-30 ballistics out to around 125 yards. This rifle is a tackdriver.

I've noticed the 1894c's are drying up around my parts and on gunbroker.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I was told yesterday that Marlin guns have had soem quality issues since Remington bought them out, many returns for factory repair.

Puma - Well I would pass as it was near the same price as the Marlin but now...who knows.

For my money, it would be a Henry.

These comments are for Lever action rifles.

I've heard this as well, but can't confirm it. All the same, I would keep my Marlin purchases pre-Remington for the time being.

gunman1948

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2011
    Connersville Indiana
    Most of the problems with the Marlins are over with. I sell just as many Rugers as I do the Marlins. If you are hard on a gun while deer hunting, I recommend the Ruger 77 with the synthetic stock. If you want a gun with wood then get the Marlin. Both companies have exceptional warranties. The Rossi take a side mount scope setup. I don't like that.
    I hope that helps you. Thanks

bbarker

Marksman
    Rating - 97.7%
    42   1   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    SE Indiana
    Thanks, I actually spoke to someone there today regarding these rifles. I just really need to decide between the Marlin or Ruger. I am also starting to consider the .357 since I have a couple of slug guns and my last 3 deer have been taken with the Thompson Center. Any thoughts on the .357 when it comes to deer? Some dismiss it totally....but I believe a well placed shot at 100 yards max would be a deer killer.

Most of the problems with the Marlins are over with. I sell just as many Rugers as I do the Marlins. If you are hard on a gun while deer hunting, I recommend the Ruger 77 with the synthetic stock. If you want a gun with wood then get the Marlin. Both companies have exceptional warranties. The Rossi take a side mount scope setup. I don't like that.
    I hope that helps you. Thanks

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Ah, yes- 357 as marginal on deer. There was a time that the 357 took even brown bear, but these animals evolve and soon I doubt we can take one with even a 50 bmg.

Just playing. I've taken deer with the 357- and taken one with a Marlin chambered for it. Your suggested range is well within its killing zone.

They die just as well as any I've hit with a 44 or 300winmag (KY) or 50 cal muzzie.

There's just one draw back to deer and a 357- bloodtrail or lack thereof. It's a mixed bag. My experience has been that deer taken with a hp die within 5 yards of being shot. Deer taken with a swc travel a bit before curling up. But as with any animal, good shot placement will take them down.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I have owned or own a marlin 44, puma scout 44, and ruger 77/44

The marlin never shot the way I wanted it to, and scopes on levers just feel wrong,
    the puma shot better than the marlin but still scopes on levers

I got the 77/44 2 years ago and have killed 6 deer with it and love it it feels better, a scope mounts better, in my hads its more accurate than the levers, there is no speed difference in the woods on reloading the bolt works just as fast as the lever but because it fits better (to me) i can track deer and bring it up and get a solid lock,

I shoot red dots on my 44's and right now I have a burris Fastfire2 and I really can't think of a way to improve it besides camo barrel

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I bought a Puma 92 44 mag, I think a 24" octagonal barrel. I have yet to hunt with it but the first time I took it out it left a bruise. I don't have any complaints about the quality but compared to the Trappers, it looks like a million dollars.

rossikr.jpg

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Personally I would hunt down a Ruger Deerstalker. I had one of these years ago and for the life of my i don't know why I sold it. I am sure it was to fund something else but just for what I can't remember but it has always been one I regretted selling. It was an accurate fun little gun...a 10/22 on massive steroids. It was big medicine for javelina in Texas!

deerstalker.jpg

reaper101

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Muncie, Indiana
    just found a brand spankin new ruger 77/44 is walnut and blue at a local gun store (plainfield shooting supply) today. It came with me but it did have a twin still in the shop. also picked up 2 boxs of ammo some magtech and some winchester white box both are jacketed soft points. next thing i need to get out and shoot it.:rockwoot:

HuntMeister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 21, 2010
    I cannot speak for the Rugers or Pumas as I've never had one, fine rifles though I'm sure. I have a Marlin 1894 44mag and couldn't be happier. I really like the compact and fast handling of the 1894, perfect for Indiana deer woods. I put a compact Leupold scope on it and it fits the gun well I think. Factory ammo was giving me 2"-3" groups at 100yards then I started playing around with my own handloads and now have a handload that gives me sub-moa at 100yards from the bench. Last year was my first kill with it, 2-1/2 yr old buck at 50 yards. One shot double lunged him and he dropped in his tracks, lights out. I still have 2 slug guns but most likely will never use them again. Much cheaper to feed 44's than slug guns and no comparison in the recoil department.

P10400921894Medium.jpg

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I cannot speak for the Rugers or Pumas as I've never had one, fine rifles though I'm sure. I have a Marlin 1894 44mag and couldn't be happier. I really like the compact and fast handling of the 1894, perfect for Indiana deer woods. I put a compact Leupold scope on it and it fits the gun well I think. Factory ammo was giving me 2"-3" groups at 100yards then I started playing around with my own handloads and now have a handload that gives me sub-moa at 100yards from the bench. Last year was my first kill with it, 2-1/2 yr old buck at 50 yards. One shot double lunged him and he dropped in his tracks, lights out. I still have 2 slug guns but most likely will never use them again. Much cheaper to feed 44's than slug guns and no comparison in the recoil department.

P10400921894Medium.jpg

I have a Winchester 1994 44mag Trapper, but it has not been fired and I probably won't shoot it. The new ones are $$$.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Before I bought my puma 92 44mag I did a lot of reading over on marlinowners.com and found a surprising number of people having jamming problems with the 1894 and almost exclusively in the 44mag. I was a little bummed about that because I like the idea of being able to put a scope on a rifle if I'd like to.

Long story short I went with a 20" stainless puma 92 and I absolutely love it. Unfortunately I've only gotten one deer with it, but the gun has never done anything wrong and I've put close to 1000 rounds through it. Later I bought another 20" puma 44mag that had the removable feed tube like a 22LR does and it shot incredibly well also. My uncle liked it so much he had to have it so I sold it to him. Then I bought another puma 92 44mag because I came across a bargain on a brand new one and figured the longer barrel would be more fun. It was a great gun, but when I hunted with it I just felt like I was cheating on my original puma 92 44mag so I sold it on ingo. All three of those puma 92 44mags were completely reliable, and very accurate. I hit steel plates at 150 yards with all three of them from a supported standing position so I can't complain on accuracy with an iron sighted pistol cartridge rifle.

The ruger bolt actions look nice, but I've never shot one so I can't say much other than they look like a nice conventional rifle setup for indiana hunters.

Plenty of good options out there though! Don't forget there's a lot of guys out there who really like their H&R 44mag's also. Not to mention an encore 44mag, and the list goes on.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    My old microgroove Marlin does very well with cast bullets, just be sure to check your bore diameter and go .001 or so larger with your bullets. Look at getting the WW trigger if you get a Marlin, much better than factory.:)

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    I just traded in a Puma .44 lever that I had received in a trade deal. It shot, handled and appeared to be fine, nice fit and finish overall. I didnt like how it was a top eject, even w/o a scope mounted its just weird/ different seeing the brass eject at you !!!

I agree with either the Marlin or a Henry.... the Henrys are very nice, especially if a shop has a couple and you can hand pick the wood. Plus they are made right here in the USA.

forthehousew

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    indy
    Slick Marlin Action

My Son bought a very well used Marlin blue in 44 that is slick as ice for the last deer season. I was so impressed I got one recently, brand new stainless. Stiff as can be, but as I work the action watching Cowboy shows on TV etc, guess what, it is slicking up dramatically, even the trigger pull has improved greatly. Feeds snap caps, so rumors of Marling jams I think are probably new guns. Better to 'wear in than wear out.

Top Bottom