• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miles2253

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    North Webster
    I had a Marlin 1894 last season. Mine function just fine. I got mine right before the buy-out. My future father-in-law baught one after I did and he had extraction issues with his. I have a .458 SOCOM now.

HuntMeister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 21, 2010
    A common issue with the 1894's, happened to me with my new one too, is rounds hanging up at the mouth of the chamber. Had to send it off to Marlin so they could polish the chamber throat a bit and now she cycles just fine. Its is unfortunate that they had this issue and for all I know it may have been resolved by now (I bought mine +2 yrs ago). IMHO it is one fine rifle.

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    I would look a new Marlin over very closely - if you poke around Marlinowners.com there have been plenty of issues. The Marlin's can have a pretty open bore on them, I had a 2007 vintage one that keyholed evrything I tried on it. Sent it back and then the best grouping I could get was ~8" at 100yds. Sold it shortly afterwards. I pick up a used one over the winter and haven't shot it much yet, only at 50yds. but so far it groups up with Remington 240JHP's just fine. From what I've subsequently read on the various sites; some seem to shoot just fine and some require slighty larger cast bullets to make them shoot well.

Mordred

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    I've shot the 44 Puma and i can say it is one of my favorites. But now they are expensive, so I'd go with a Henry. I've been debating this .44 vs .357 issue for a long time too and i cant really decide. I think you can't go wrong with any of them but I think the Rossi is my least favorite because of the top ejection.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've shot the 44 Puma and i can say it is one of my favorites. But now they are expensive, so I'd go with a Henry. I've been debating this .44 vs .357 issue for a long time too and i cant really decide. I think you can't go wrong with any of them but I think the Rossi is my least favorite because of the top ejection.

Budsgunshop still has brand new 44mags for $396 shipped to your ffl. The henry's run around $700. Don't get me wrong, because the henry's are a great feeling rifle, but they're not worth almost two of the puma 92's.

nicajack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    Miami County
    I have had a Rossi .44 carbine for over 8 years. It shoots cast bullets well and also feeds the .44 specials just fine. Plenty accurate with both cast and metal jacketed bullets.
    Also have a stainless Rossi Carbine in .357. It works like the one above but I think it is too bright and shiny for a good hunting gun.
    Most of the Marlins out thee have microgroove rifling and that doesn't work well with cast bullets. I am sure that the Marlin actions are stronger and better made, but I like the look and feel of the model 92's.
    I intend to get a Rossi in .45 Colt when I find a good trade on one. I think I want an octagon barrel one.......John

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I am sure that the Marlin actions are stronger and better made, but I like the look and feel of the model 92's.

From what I've read the marlin actions are not stronger. The 92's are made for the 454 and other big cartridges that a marlin isn't just for that reason.

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    Personally I would hunt down a Ruger Deerstalker. I had one of these years ago and for the life of my i don't know why I sold it. I am sure it was to fund something else but just for what I can't remember but it has always been one I regretted selling. It was an accurate fun little gun...a 10/22 on massive steroids. It was big medicine for javelina in Texas!

deerstalker.jpg

Wish they still made it.:(

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I picked up a Rossi 92 16" in .357. I like it so far but haven't shot it much. I've read that they don't really like .38 and that would make sense from an issue I was having. Shooting .357 next time out and that is what I'll most likely hunt with unless I pick up a Draco at some point.

Top Bottom