• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Check out Rugers website specifally their store link. Also I think Midwayusa.com might have them.

nightsite

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2009
    Warsaw
    well found everything i wanted but just now realized i cant use it hunting. it only has a 4 5/8 barrel and i was told 6 in is the least i could go legally.

GoBoilers!

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    I thought it was a 4" barrel minimum for deer in Indiana. Don't give up until you a certain. Check the DNR pages for the latest rules.

Bikerdad61

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Sullivan
    Copied from the 2011-2012 Indiana DNR Hunting and Regulation Guide.

Handguns for deer hunting: [FONT=Helvetica LT Std Light,Helvetica LT Std Light][FONT=Helvetica LT Std Light,Helvetica LT Std Light]Handguns, other than muzzle loading, must have a barrel at least 4 inches long and must fire a bullet of .243-inch diameter or larger. The handgun cartridge case, without the bullet, must be at least 1.16 inches long. Full metal-jacketed bullets are not permitted. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Helvetica LT Std Light,Helvetica LT Std Light]Handguns are not permitted on any military areas. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Helvetica LT Std Light,Helvetica LT Std Light]Some types of handgun cartridges legal for deer hunting include .357 Magnum, .41 Magnum, .44 Magnum, .44 Special, .45 Colt, .45 Long Colt, .45 Winchester Magnum, .35 Remington and .357 Herrett. [/FONT]

Here is the link if you want to reasearch further....
    http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fw-deerhuntguide.pdf
    [/FONT]

swany11

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Was just looking up this info the other day:

Handguns for deer hunting: Handguns, other than muzzle loading, must have a barrel at least 4 inches long and must fire
    a bullet of .243-inch diameter or larger. The handgun cartridge case, without the bullet, must be at least 1.16 inches long. Full metal- jacketed bullets are not permitted.
    Handguns are not permitted on any mili- tary areas.
    Some types of handgun cartridges legal for deer hunting include .357 Magnum, .41 Magnum, .44 Magnum, .44 Special, .45 Colt, .45 Long Colt, .45 Winchester Magnum, .35 Remington and .357 Herrett. Some illegal
    handgun cartridges for deer hunting are .38 Special, .38 Smith and Wesson, .38 Colt New Police, .38/200, .38 Long Colt, .38 Super, .38 ACP, .38 Colt Auto, .45 ACP, .45 Automatic and .45 Auto Rim. All .25/.20, .32/.20 and .30 carbine ammunition is prohibited.
    Muzzleloading handguns are allowed. The muzzleloading handgun must be single shot, .50 caliber or larger, loaded with bullets at least .44 caliber and have a barrel at least 12 inches long, measured from the base of the breech plug excluding tangs and other projections to the end of the barrel, including the muzzle crown.

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fw-deerhuntguide.pdf

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Barrel length is the reason I bought this.
    What kind of optics are you looking at.

Handguns020.jpg

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    4 5/8" IS LEGAL as seen above. Whoevever told you it isn't doesn't know what they're talking about. It has been 4" min. barrel length for as long as I remember. Get your scope mounted and get practicing. Post a pic of the deer you take with it this year.

Oh, and please encourage whoever told you incorrectly to get a copy of the hunting regulations AND READ THEM!

nightsite

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2009
    Warsaw
    thanks guys should of just asked here first any how that is why i am a member. Now any suggestions on what type of scope is good on a hand gun for deer hunting?

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Reddots might be a good choice, as an extended eye relief (EER) scope can be a bit tricky to use, esp if the deer is moving in timber.

For the rig you've got, if I wanted an EER I'd go 2X (Leupold).

I prefer wheelguns without scopes. But eyes getting older, ya gotta do what ya gotta do. With that said, Burris used to make a 1X EER.

Top Bottom