• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scott5626

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2012
    La Porte
    Looking at buying one of these calibered guns, leaning towards the .44. I noticed someone has a Ruger .44 on sale here but I don't have enough posts to ask the seller anything. :(

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    50 quality posts or becoming a site supporter will enable you to participate in the classifieds here.

Easy enough, right? :yesway:

Spazstick87

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    what are you going to use it for? Target and hunting or ru looking for a personal defense weapon? I have both and enjoy hunting with my .44 and carry and target shoot my .45. They are both great calibers in my opinion.

scott5626

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2012
    La Porte
    Mostly home protection. I always wanted a cowboy/dirty Harry type weapon. I'm going to the gun shop today to check out a super blackhawk.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    If those are the only calibers you're looking at, and its for home defense, go with the 45. If your looking to crashing through the woods to hunt large furry animals, go with a 44. My :twocents:

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Mostly home protection. I always wanted a cowboy/dirty Harry type weapon. I'm going to the gun shop today to check out a super blackhawk.

If home protection is the main purpose, a Super Blackhawk is a less than ideal choice. Single action revolvers fit in better as target/hunting revolvers, or in you are interested in cowboy action type shooting. Double actions are faster (for the average person) so shoot and faster to reload.

As far as caliber in the defensive role, either would serve well in those situations. The 44 is easy to just pick out a good 44 Special load for it, though the 45 might be well advised to choose carefully so to not pick up one of the super-nuclear loads that are available for it.

Spazstick87

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    The superblack hawk is definately a great gun in my opinion. And .45fan is spot on when they say you can get a special load for it and it do great at home defense and not worry about the round traveling through every wall in the house like some of the hopped up .45rds can

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    Either are good calibers, shouldn't go wrong no matter what you pick. As far as posting goes, just be a site supporter, it is money well spent. You shouldn't have any problem finding the firearm you want.

Dave

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    It's a tough choice.

Bear in mind that any revolver that will chamber .44 Magnum will also take the .44 Special and .44 Russian.

A .45 Colt will also accept .45 Schofield and the relatively new .45 Cowboy (essentially a .45 Colt Short).

Both choices give variety in the load desired, but any of the six cartridges mentioned have big drawbacks as house guns due to over penetration.

I carry a Model 29 Smith .44 Magnum as one of my carry guns but in town I carry it stoked with Specials. Between the recoil and over-penetration dangers Magnums loads are just too much for town.

scott5626

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2012
    La Porte
    I guess I should have mentioned I have a MP that's my every day carry gun & home protection. I have just always wanted a .44 or .45 colt. I don't plan on carrying that heavy of a gun, at least not very often :)

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I usually use Hornady customs in my Alaskan, they run somewhere between $18 and $20 a box of 20. It seems that .44 specials can be a little harder to find than magnums sometimes, around here anyway. The Super Blackhawk is a great gun, but recoil can be a bear with the shape of the grips and relatively light weight of the gun itself. I'd say, if you have the money, buy as many Ruger revolvers as you can afford, you won't be disappointed.:twocents:

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I would like to say that I think we all appreciate you sparking a conversation and attempting to get your 50 posts that way, rather than just throwing random one-liners into existing threads. Its much better for all involved.

scott5626

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2012
    La Porte
    I picked this up tonight. It's obviously not a .45 or .44 :) It's my first rifle, my experienced neighbor recommended it. .270 Savage
    7c792430.jpg

Top Bottom