• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • The Gavman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    I own a Smith and Wesson Model 3 Russian which I assume is .44 Russian since I shoot .44 Russian out of it. However I had some .44 S&W around the house, lord knows where it came from, and they look identical and after a little research I find that other than the .44 S&W being externally lubricated and heeled vs The .44 Russian being internally lubricated there is no differences so is it possible to shoot .44 S&W out of the .44 Russian I know it sounds like a stupid question but just curious since the price difference between the 2 is substantial.

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    Do you refer to .44Special when you type .44S&W? If so, it is longer than a true .44 Russian cartridge and if your chambers are truly .44 Russian, then no, you can't shoot it in your Model 3. The original names for each of these cartridges as far as I know are .44 S&W Special and .44 S&W Russian.

Other .44s are the .44 S&W American, .44 Colt and .44 Magnum

I'd check the gun over and look for a marking indicating the caliber to be certain.

The Gavman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    Well yeah its also called the S&W American I forgot to say that but its true name is just .44 S&W not special I know what that is and yeah its quite a bit longer than the russian or american

Top Bottom