• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 84VETTE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Salem
    So I'm thinking about getting an H&R/NEF handi rifle in .44 mag and converting it to .445 Super mag to hunt with. Does anybody have any experience with this project that can offer any advice? I don't know if I should have the barrel reamed or just try to get a new one from BFG. I'v heard that there is a lot of complaints on the accuracy of the .44 barrels in these rifles, is there any truth to this or has H&R fixed this "overbore" problem. I already reload .44 mag so all I'd need is 445 brass to load them. Any input would be appreciated. :patriot:

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    If you are going to be shooting cast, it is more of an issue.

In a perfect world, I'd expect the bore diameter to be .417 and the grooves at .429.

If the seller would allow you to slug one, that would be ideal - although for a few dollars you could buy pin gauges from .416-.419 that would tell you a lot.

I'm told their issues have been largely resolved as off late.

I recently purchased an already converted 44/445 Supermag barrel off another forum, that has one of the "oversized" barrels. No accuracy complaints from the field tester who is using it this season with jacketed 44 or 445 loads thus far.

If one was so inclined when the 1.8" regulation is finalized, you could make 1.8" 445 "Super Ultra Maximum Mag" brass from 444 Marlin or 30-40 Krag with little drama. The field tester mentioned above is already hounding me to have a reamer ground.

445 brass is available right now, I'd buy a mess of it if you are considering this project.

84VETTE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Salem
    100% of the bullets I will be reloading will be jacketed so i shouldn't have that issue. The 1.8" 445 sounds pretty enticing but wouldn't I have to turn .444 marlin brass on a lathe, and I don't have any idea as to go about converting 30-40 Krag, I'd have to research that.
    Another issue on that would be finding load data for that as I wouldn't have any clue as to what range of charge would be safe to stay in while developing a load for it. How difficult would it be to find somebody to ream a barrel for me once I've acquired a rifle?

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    100% of the bullets I will be reloading will be jacketed so i shouldn't have that issue. The 1.8" 445 sounds pretty enticing but wouldn't I have to turn .444 marlin brass on a lathe, and I don't have any idea as to go about converting 30-40 Krag, I'd have to research that.
    Another issue on that would be finding load data for that as I wouldn't have any clue as to what range of charge would be safe to stay in while developing a load for it. How difficult would it be to find somebody to ream a barrel for me once I've acquired a rifle?

I'll sell brass ready to go, work up loads prior to any sale and will rechamber existing 44/445 barrels at a reasonable rate.

That is what I do.

parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    I know that this issue has come up in other threads, but I wouldn't shoot a 445 super on a H&R SB 1 frame. Too much pressure.

All new H&R 357 and 44 mags come on SB1 frames.

Another possible choice for conversion would be the CVA Scout.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I know that this issue has come up in other threads, but I wouldn't shoot a 445 super on a H&R SB 1 frame. Too much pressure.

All new H&R 357 and 44 mags come on SB1 frames.

Another possible choice for conversion would be the CVA Scout.

I thought that one of the joys of going to .445 Supermag, you get 2-3 hundred FPS without much pressure jump.

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    After a lot of research, I loved the specs on the 445 SM. I think that if you get things dialed in, you should be able to have a 200 yard deer gun. I bought a custom barrel from MGM and put it on my TC Encore frame. I have worked up many loads and even cast some of my own. Although I have taken a couple of deer with it, at this point in time Im a little disapointed with accuracy. I dont think I would feel comfortable with a shot much more than 140 yards. Now in MGM's defense, they tell me that the barrel isnt broken in for about 100 to 200 rounds. I am not giving up, just need more R and D.
    I bought my SIL a Handi Rifle in 44 mag and in outshoots my 445 and my Ruger 77/44.
    When you are ready to find some reload info )and you will) hit me up with a PM and I'll share what I have learned thus far
    Good luck

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    FWIW my bud's .357 max wasn't a very good shooter until he pushed it to the higher end.
    Dunno if the .445 would react the same way, but if shooting moderate stuff and being disappointed in accuracy, it might be worth experimenting with top end loads.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I bought a custom barrel from MGM and put it on my TC Encore frame. I have worked up many loads and even cast some of my own. Although I have taken a couple of deer with it, at this point in time Im a little disapointed with accuracy. I dont think I would feel comfortable with a shot much more than 140 yards. Now in MGM's defense, they tell me that the barrel isnt broken in for about 100 to 200 rounds. I am not giving up, just need more R and D.
    I bought my SIL a Handi Rifle in 44 mag and in outshoots my 445 and my Ruger 77/44.
    When you are ready to find some reload info )and you will) hit me up with a PM and I'll share what I have learned thus far
    Good luck

Please, Share!:D This is an ammo and reloading forum after all! If you don't feel comfortable giving specifics, talk in generalities of what you've found.

On the topic of H&R .44s: I've had two. One (my son's deer rifle) has ballard rifling and is a shooter! His reduced load of 9 gr. Unique under a 200 gr Nosler JHP @ about 1250 fps groups 1.5" at 100 yds.
    The second I had factory barreled last July. It came home with a micro-groove barrel that slugged .4315! I tried everything in that rifle and never could get better than 2" at fifty yds! I was doing really well to get 4-6" at 100! Not acceptable for a scoped hunting rifle. I jumped through all the hoops and tried all the tricks that are common to get these rifles to shoot. Tried jacketed in all makes, wieghts, and styles, at all velocities with various powders and nothing. Got rid of it! So H&R has been a 50/50 wager for me....not good odds.:twocents:

Last edited:

HoosierCub

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    North Central Indiana
    Copied from above post.....
    Please, Share!:D This is an ammo and reloading forum after all! If you don't feel comfortable giving specifics, talk in generalities of what you've found

Yes please share your results.

Anyone that has been shooting the 445 in a rifle, I would be interested in the best powder you have found for the heavier (265 - 300gr) bullets.

Thanks, Tim

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    While I too like .429 bullets, with the legal change to 1.8" it just seems silly to not get a .460 (if wanting straight case stuff).

Especially when you can get a beautiful rifle in that cartridge (Ruger #1).

Get a .44 mag and then a .460.................two rifles is always better than one :)

(exception would be if one has a cool old DW revolver in .445..........I could see a companion rifle for such a beast, but then not something cheap like an H&R).

BTW, I did see a .445 H&R on GB a yr or so back, think it was a RMEF edition.

I'd rebarrel a #3 or #1 to have something nicer.

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    Well looks like I'm a little late to jump on the bandwagon, but I do happen to be a .445 shooter. H&R sb2 frame and I had it reamed a couple of years ago. Haven't used it a whole lot due to work but have taken a couple deer with it but nothing of any great range. I do use new brass i purchased and use 265 grain hornandy sp over about 31 grains of H110. A real nice shooting round. Our paper results were impressive enough that my son did the same ream to his handi .44. We may even try them on black bear next fall. Good luck and I will dig through my info if your interested and give you what I can.

Top Bottom